Question about VPS & mySQL

I currently have shared hosting and when I spoke to the server admin he mentioned that each account on the server is allowed 75 concurrent mySQL connections. He also mentioned that the server as a whole can handle 900 mySQL connections at any time. Question that I have what would be allowed mySQL connections with a Servint package below?

49.00/mo total
    $0 setup
    200GB Monthly Transfer
    10GB Storage
    1GB RAM burst
    (guaranteed 256MB minimum)
    RedHat Linux 9.0
    4 IP addresses

Also lets say if you run a large forum on a dedicated box with 1500 active users, wouldnt that mean that 1 server cant handle it (based on 900 mySQL connections mentioned above)?

Re: Question about VPS & mySQL

Originally posted by chihpih
    Question that I have what would be allowed mySQL connections with a Servint package below?

Also lets say if you run a large forum on a dedicated box with 1500 active users, wouldnt that mean that 1 server cant handle it (based on 900 mySQL connections mentioned above)?
    To first question: unlimited. It will just be really slow but you don't really have a limit.

Large forum with 1500 active users? It depends on what forum software you are running. I don't know too much about sites as large as that but I'm pretty sure even the better dedicated servers (Quad's) couldn't handle that. You would need several... how many, I wouldn't know.

I would highly frown at running a site that gets 1500 users on at once on a VPS. Speed is the main factor here. If the server is not powerful enough your site will not even work for most users once it reaches a certain number of users.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

i wouldnt run it on a vps i was just curious what would be a comfortable # of mysql connections on a vps with those specs