JVDS and Vpscolo Outage

A large stack of IPs are down... and have been so for more than an hour.

This includes vpscolo.com itself from here.

Unfortunately, the JVDS forum acknowledged the problem initially, but we have had nothing since.

Has anyone been abale to glean any information at all?

Alerta, for the record:
    04/25/2005 10:41:28 Chicago USA Error N/A 33.27 N/A
    04/25/2005 10:41:28 Atlanta USA Error N/A 32.84 N/A
    04/25/2005 10:41:30 Hong Kong CHINA Error N/A 34.67 N/A
    04/25/2005 10:41:28 Orlando USA Error N/A 33.05 N/A
    04/25/2005 10:41:27 Las Vegas USA Error N/A 32.10 N/A
    04/25/2005 10:41:32 Frankfurt GERMANY Error N/A 36.47 N/A
    04/25/2005 10:41:29 Oklahoma City USA Error N/A 33.92 N/A
    04/25/2005 10:41:28 London UK Error N/A 32.54 N/A

Believe that the above site is at New Jersey - Fort Lee - Interserver Inc data centre which is down

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=398527

Its actually Interserver,6 6.45.x.x network. I've started another thread here so you might want to follow that. We've got no direct control over it I'm afraid as we just host machines there

Rus

Have they not given any clue as to what is wrong?

It said the internet connection was offline on one of my monitors

I know JenniH is in the same boat as I - but we just went through this Saturday with PowerVPS too

Seems to be back on now

Its online now just waiting to find out what happened

Rus

My site went offline for about 5 minutes a little while ago. It is down again just now, and VPSCOlos site is down as well. Are these the same network problems from before? When will this end?
    Last edited by rokamortis; 04-25-2005 at 06:10 PM.

Yes same problem, but last time it was out longer

back up ... for now

Back down.. for the last hour

jenni.... i think im going to send you some meds... i just cant believe this keeps happening to you!

I can't quite believe it either. If I had as many sites as she says, and exhibited such rabid disappointment every time a provider had a problem (large or small), I think I'd be getting myself a server or two somewhere and doing things myself. The servers would pay for themselves many times over in peace of mind alone.

ReasonSinger: you have no idea what our model is and WHY we use different providers from different DCs.

Suffice to say that there are very good reasons for this, apart from the obvious (the obvious being that an outage only hits a part of our business, and not all of it, which is important to us).

That said, we are definitely having a bad time recently: maybe it's seasonal! I'll definitely take those meds though Lauren if there are any going free

Actually, I can guess what your model is, since it really isn't all that special. Spreading accounts around is not a new concept. Picking up a couple of servers is diverse datacenters through a non-budget provider is not a new concept either. I looked over all your posts to WHT, and it doesn't really seem that your bad luck is just recent. Almost everything you post is a complaint about some host being down and their inability to communicate about it. My observation is that it would just make more sense to more directly manage things. Rather than having a host -> upstream -> upstream as in this very case, you would just have you -> provider (hopefully one that doesn't hide from problems, if you've done your homework correctly). People complain all the time. My interest is what they do to mitigate the potential they have for problems.

>> I can guess what your model is <<

I doubt it.... and no, I am not going to elaborate, as it's our business. And equally, we don't inevitably use 'non-budget' providers, but have a very significant mix.

As for complaining about outages/non-response, surely that's what this particular forum is for? And by the way, I only ever use it if I can't get hold of the host in question for some reason.

If WHT don't want outages to be discussed in the outages forum, I am sure they will tell me.

Originally posted by JenniH
    >> I can guess what your model is <<

I doubt it....
    Sorry, I didn't realize you had some sort of monopoly on everything and that your model was so super secret that no one else could possibly have any idea what it involves, no matter how long they're been in the corporate world. Silly me.

As for complaining about outages/non-response, surely that's what this particular forum is for? And by the way, I only ever use it if I can't get hold of the host in question for some reason.
    I can't quite seem to find where I said this forum, aptly named as it is, is not for the purpose of reporting outages. Your posting history, however, says that you seem to experience an inordinate number of outages and poor communications from providers. This leads to the natural conclusion (for me it would, anyway) that more direct control, rather than less, would tend to mitigate some of the "unknown" factors that can plague services and lessen the odds to be more favorable to stability and uptime.

If WHT don't want outages to be discussed in the outages forum, I am sure they will tell me.
    Why would they do that, I wonder, if they have a forum specifically for this purpose?

I don't understand why you are turning this into an examination of our model (which is not public domain!). What has it got to do with JVDS?

JVDS is up and running perfectly now... just let the thread die (or someone close it).