Cisco PIX syslogging under windows

I need to setup a syslog server to log syslog messages sent by our Cisco PIX 501 firewall.

I know Cisco do one for free, but after finding a link to i had to register all our Cisco products. But after registering on the Cisco site as instructed, it still denied me access to the download. Several emails to support later and i get:

Unfortunately we only grant software download access to customers who have service contracts on the unit or have a Partner Initiated Customer Access (PICA) registration number associated with your profile.
    As i have none of these, and contacting my reseller is a mission i really dont want to have to take, i was wondering if anyone knows where to obtain this piece of freeware?

If not, are there any alternatives that are preferably free? I'm a bit apawled that after buying this piece of hardware, Cisco wont even provide the software we need to use its features

Reseller-Network.Com
    Hsphere, DirectAdmin, or Helm. Windows 2003 & Unix Reseller,Shared,and Dedicated Hosting.
    *Multi-Homed* *Usage-Based* *Adult Content Allowed*

Re: Cisco PIX syslogging under windows

Originally posted by andychan
    I need to setup a syslog server to log syslog messages sent by our Cisco PIX 501 firewall.

As i have none of these, and contacting my reseller is a mission i really dont want to have to take, i was wondering if anyone knows where to obtain this piece of freeware?
    What is your host platform? UNIX/Linux or Windows? If you've got Windows, look at Kiwi Syslogd, which is free and widely available:

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/

If you are using any variant of UNIX or Linux you most definitely have a multitude of free syslog daemons. Chances are one is already running on your server, though it may not be enabled for remote connectivity (e.g., connectivity from a syslog client such as a PIX or a Cisco router, etc.).
    If not, are there any alternatives that are preferably free? I'm a bit apawled that after buying this piece of hardware, Cisco wont even provide the software we need to use its features [/B]
    Free solutions hinted at above.

I would be careful about being indignant about this kind of thing. First of all, you have no SMARTNet contract so they're not even obligated legally to support the PIX hardware itself. Second of all, even if you did have a SMARTNet contract, syslog servers, like, say, RADIUS or directory services (LDAP, NDS, Active Directoryetc.) that a particular Cisco device may use is pretty much a vendor-neutral decision that you make. Using Cisco's own RADIUS server in Windows or UNIX servers, for example, is quite an expensive extra. Most will use freeradius, IAS, etc.

In other words--and I don't want to be impolite about this--your lack of knowledge about how to setup these kinds of things does not obligate Cisco (or any other network hardware vendor) to hand-hold you out of your ignorance.