Angry Hard Drive Crashed

Ugh I'm so upset. One of my hard drives in my system crashed, my Western Digital 200GB. From the sound of it, sounds like the bearings inside got off track. I lost a lot of data now. Personal documents, all my websites, etc. I had made a backup of my documents, but I hide the backup so I wouldn't lose it, well I lost it

I have a Seagate that's ony 80GB and it still runs great. Damn WD. Have no idea why I bought WD, cheap brand.

I just ordered a 200GB Seagate to replace the WB 200GB.

The only things that are important are personal documents and pictures. WHich I made a copy of somewhere and i can't find it.

This week isn't my week. Friday I need to take an exam for Math and score a perfect 100% to pass the class, my hard drive crashed, and i don't feel well.

Ugh.

Sorry to hear about that. Nothing worse than losing a hard drive with important data.

Is the drive no longer under warranty? Some WD's have 3 year replacement warranties but are at least 1 year warranties.

You may already do this but I'm a bit paranoid about losing data. I use sync utilities to make copies of just my critical data (My Documents and a Digital Images folder) so I have to lose 2 hard drives at once. As cheap as external enclosures and hard drives are it is a good way to give you piece of mind.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

I've had WD hard drives for ages now havent had one fail yet. IMO, they are the most reliable drives. All other brands that I have owned have failed, including Seagate (oh god... nightmares), Maxtor, and all the other brands I've owned.
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

It really sucks when a drive crashes, the drive in my parents computer crashed and I was the one who had to go through all the crap of getting it replaced and putting everything back on it. WD is my favorite HDD brand, none have ever crashed on me either.

Western Digital used to be the best, however, Seagate is by far the best now.

I haven't used Seagate, but Western Digital for me, has been a dream, so far, I've purchased 2 200GB HDs, and 4 80GB HDs, none of which have failed on me. Maxtor however, has been a nightmare, half of them failed on me. Which is 5/10, terrible hardware.

Seagate has always been the best IMO. I run a backup server here in my office that has multiple 160GB WD drives and they have been running strong for over a year. I run individual coolers on them though so they maintain a very good temperature and they run in a Raid 5 setup. I have lost more Maxtors than I have WDs so it all just depends on luck I guess.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

Originally posted by kris1351
    Seagate has always been the best IMO. I run a backup server here in my office that has multiple 160GB WD drives and they have been running strong for over a year. I run individual coolers on them though so they maintain a very good temperature and they run in a Raid 5 setup. I have lost more Maxtors than I have WDs so it all just depends on luck I guess.
    I've heard Seagate is good now, I havn't used them for a LONG time. The last Seagate drive I had was around 1-2gb, and it was a terrible drive. After I buy my new computer, I'll probably be in the market for a good 400gb hard drive for all my crap.

have a Maxtor 200GB get a bunch of I/O errors last week, limped the data off of it just in time for my computer to die! Been a rough one for me...

Avg. cost is $1000 to get my data. Looking into the hard drive, it would seem that the head of the hardrive crashed. My data was officially lost as the head in the harddrive got off track and scratched the entire disk inside. So even if I could recover it, I can't, as it was all damaged.

I haven't cried yet, but will try not to. Just now need to start doing weekly/monthly backups.

This week has been horrible.

Sorry to hear that Rob83, if the data is important someone like OnTrack Data Recovery will be able to get all (at least the vast majority) of it. I have sent a number of clients drives to ontrack, they're not the cheapest, but they are very good, and very fast.

PS since it sounds like you need some cheering up, here's a humorous video on the subjest of backup.
    http://www.backuptrauma.com/video/default2.aspx?r=1
    Last edited by trau; 04-25-2005 at 05:26 PM.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

I suppose this is a little too late to suggest this now, but I had the same thing happen to me about a year and a half ago. Two days later, I had a new PC with RAID1 120 Gb. SATA drives in it. It's worth the investment, believe me!

Sorry you're going through this. There's nothing worse than having to reconstruct client source files, etc.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Originally posted by the_pm
    I suppose this is a little too late to suggest this now, but I had the same thing happen to me about a year and a half ago. Two days later, I had a new PC with RAID1 120 Gb. SATA drives in it. It's worth the investment, believe me!

Sorry you're going through this. There's nothing worse than having to reconstruct client source files, etc.
    thanks. now i remember i also lost my clients information and invoices.

waaaa waaa waaaaa

Originally posted by Rob83
    thanks. now i remember i also lost my clients information and invoices.

waaaa waaa waaaaa
    Keep a backup of everything on another HD and CD in the future.
    Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
    Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU

I share your pain. I had two drives crash in the past week, one was a Seagate Barracuda. That one hurt the most to lose. Luckily I had the most important files backed up on that one.

Originally posted by Atlantis Services
    Keep a backup of everything on another HD and CD in the future.
    That was the backup hard drive lol. I moved everything over to that hard drive. I thought it was my seagate, but it was the WD. Damn hard drive.

I'm probably going to buy this:

[http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1091099783936

Backing up is soo crucial, let so time consuming. But now I'm w/o data.

This is just a sign that I must stop relying on hard drives. So sad.

11 years and never has my hard drive crash!!!

So where's your CD's then? Never rely on 1 backup
    Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
    Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU

Originally posted by Atlantis Services
    So where's your CD's then? Never rely on 1 backup
    My DVD collection of backups is I have no clue. I thought I put them in the safe, but apparently I didn't.

Que Serra, Serra