Thread: About latency

About latency

I moved my dedicated server away from San Francisco because of latency, I currently use european server because its more closer.

Would there be same kind of latency if I'd setup dns-only-servers in San Francisco or somewhere else in usa?

Re: About latency

Originally posted by petfut
    I moved my dedicated server away from San Francisco because of latency, I currently use european server because its more closer.

Would there be same kind of latency if I'd setup dns-only-servers in San Francisco or somewhere else in usa?
    If your DNS server was in the USA, it woud not matter too much to your server in europe. The latency would be experienced on DNS lookup, but not on the service you were running on your server (depending on whats going on of course)
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

Re: Re: About latency

Originally posted by wotanworks
    If your DNS server was in the USA, it woud not matter too much to your server in europe. The latency would be experienced on DNS lookup, but not on the service you were running on your server (depending on whats going on of course)
    Hmm.. I asked the same question from EV1 and the sales person told me that latency would be bigger than if I were running webpages on their server.

If you're in Europe selecting a hosting company anywhere towards the East Coast would be much more intelligent than San Francisco, by a factor of 70ms or more in some situations. Chicago is as far west as I would recommend.

Re: Re: Re: About latency

Originally posted by petfut
    Hmm.. I asked the same question from EV1 and the sales person told me that latency would be bigger than if I were running webpages on their server.
    Honestly, it really depends on what you're doing, and if you need your clients to look up your domains more than once at a time or something.
    Obviously hosting locally is better, but I'm guessing you're looking at a large
    cost savings or something?
    AppliedOperations - Premium Service
    Bandwidth | Colocation | Hosting | Managed Services | Consulting
    www.appliedops.net

I believe that it would be fine, especially for just DNS servers.

The latency experienced shouldnt make much of a differance.