View Poll Results: Should WHT split the employment offers/requests forum

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like the new idea.

42 80.77%
  • No, I'd prefer to keep it the way it is.

10 19.23%

Question Organize WHT employment offers/requests?

I've been meaning to post this for a bit but haven't gotten around to it.

Please vote on this proposal only if you have a vested interest in these forums. If you don't use this area of WHT or don't care how it's organized, please don't vote.

Anyone who has attempted to use the employment offers/requests forums here probably has found it to be quite unsystematic--perhaps enough to dissuade people from using it.

My proposal is to reorganize it into three sub-forums (there would be no posts allowed in the category itself).

Current Setup:
    Employment Offers & Requests - Everything job/service/employment/contractor related goes into a single forum. There are no sub-forums to separate out different types of requests (I.E. individuals looking for a job vs. outsourced support companies posting about their services).

I feel that this setup doesn't work well, because people who go to this forum knowing what they're looking for have to sort through a ton of posts--most of which aren't relevant. If I'm looking to hire a full-time person, I really don't care what server management companies are out there, or what jobs other hosting companies are posting. Most of the time, the subjects are misleading or ambiguous, so it's difficult to tell what the post is about without clicking and reading it.

Proposed Setup:
    Employment Offers & Requests
    • I am looking for a job (limit posting to once per week per individual looking for work)
    • I have a job opening to fill (limit posting to once per week per company per job)
    • I represent an outsourced services company: server management, outsourced support, etc. (limit posting to once per week)

As a company who attempts to use the existing forum, I think that such a reorganization would be immensely helpful for several reasons:[list=1][*]It separates the outsources services postings from legitimate mob offerings/requests. These are two completely separate categories, and shouldn't be grouped togetner in my opinion.[*]It makes it obvious which posts are people looking for work, and which posts are job openings (this is something that is surprisingly confusing under the current setup)[*]It would allow companies with multiple (but separate) job offerings in a week to post each offer. Site5 had several openings last week, but we were only able to post one. Surely if we post several full-time job openings in the span of 7 days, this is not going to offend members browsing this forum? I would suspect that to those who are looking for jobs, the more openings posted the better.[*]It will lighten the load on the moderators, as they no longer need to worry about outsourced services companies masquerading as real employment requests--any server management company posting in the wrong forum should stick out like a sore thumb and be an immediate candidate for removal.[/list=1]

Matt
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Doh!

I forgot to actually post a poll. Just GREAT!

Would one of the mods be gracious enough to fix my embarrasing oversight?

I also forget to attach documents nine out of 10 times when I refer to them in an email. I think I have a problem...
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Originally posted by Site5-Matt
    Doh!

I forgot to actually post a poll. Just GREAT!

Would one of the mods be gracious enough to fix my embarrasing oversight?

I also forget to attach documents nine out of 10 times when I refer to them in an email. I think I have a problem...
    Attach-a-phobia?

Your proposal is a pretty good idea, actually... will be curious to see the communities thoughts.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Originally posted by Site5-Matt
    . . . Would one of the mods be gracious enough to fix my embarrasing oversight? . . .
    We would, if vB allowed us to edit a post to include a poll. But, it doesn't.

However, we can start a new thread with a poll and merge this one into it . . . if we knew exactly what the poll was to be.

Just 'Yes / No?'
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Yeah... sorry. It should just be "Yes, I like the new idea." or "No, I'd prefer to keep it the way it is."

Matt

Originally posted by sirius
    Attach-a-phobia?
    Yeah... that sounds a lot better than what my doctor called it...

Your proposal is a pretty good idea, actually
    You sound way too surprised. lol

Poll added. And, of course, it results in a new URL.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I like the idea

I voted for option one. Yes, I like the new idea.

I think this will bring some order to the current process and help things move more smoothly for everyone.
    Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
    Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU

i had a similar idea a month or two ago. the thread seems to be gone now.

my idea was to have a whole seperate system that would be similar to hostquote.

however, i am in favor of this change.

I would add a 4th category, like "services exchange" or the like. I don't use the forum much, but I like to look through to see if any programming work is available. I can't think of a single thing, more annoying, then people offering "Hosting" for programming.

I would also remove "work for free" jobs altogether. Working for free isn't employment... it's volunteer work. And "volunteering" for a commercial company is probably some violation of the labor laws.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

If this was done for employment offers and requests, it should be done for the others as well. Such as;

I am looking for a template/design
    I am selling a template/design

So yeah, I like the idea very much, would save me and other people alot of time. Maybe not the mods, as I can bet you 80% won't start a thread in the correct forum.
    John Heslop

Originally posted by jheslop1
    If this was done for employment offers and requests, it should be done for the others as well. Such as;

I am looking for a template/design
    I am selling a template/design

I'd like to second this idea
    Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
    Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU

JustinH, just to expand on your idea, Service Exchange would incorporate the "work for free" issue--since it would be exchanging free work for either experience or some other sort of non-monetary compensation.

Originally posted by Atlantis Services
    I'd like to second this idea
    As would I. Maybe someone should start another post, and add a poll there also?

I voted yes, a while ago. Just been too lazy to post . It sure will be a lot easier for me trying to find some more hands, when needed to be.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

I would also remove "work for free" jobs altogether. Working for free isn't employment... it's volunteer work. And "volunteering" for a commercial company is probably some violation of the labor laws.
    I believe a "Free Project Organization" forum should exist for people looking for free assitance with whatever non-profit projects they are starting. Of course, the anti-forum-mining rule would also apply there.

I like the idea, Maybe WHT should start listening to there members needs

Originally posted by LoganNZ
    I like the idea, Maybe WHT should start listening to there members needs

Just because thing's are not imlemented right away does not mean that WHT does not listen to there members threads. I am sure they have a HUGE list of things to do, it takes time to get to every request.