site5 server load: 6.02 (4 cpus)

Just curious how bad this is... I signed up for site5 this week (am changing from Lunar Pages to site5 for a personal site), and the LOWEST I have seen the server load at site5 is 5.58

I have never seen my Lunar Pages server above 2.0...

Should I stay with Lunar Pages? Would this cause you to have second thoughts?

p.s. - I have seen some people ask about this on the site5 forum and the site5 admins told them not to worry about it unless it is over 8.0...

you should stick with lunarpages, I believe that their servers have 8 gigs of ram or above
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

If the server is still running fine (ie. sites are loading fast, CPanel loads well, etc), then I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like they are packing clients into the servers. I'd worry about the resource usage. How much of /home is use?

Fred T

/home is at 19%

This does not seems to be good. It is accepted that the server load with-in 8 is quite normal. But 5.58 is also a worry. May be they are having some low memory ram but 5.58 is high.

I think that 5 is not very much for Dual Processor servers with 2GB RAM
    Portugal Networks
    Shared and Reseller cPanel Accounts. NEW! Windows 2003 with Plesk, ASP.NET 2.0 and MSSQL 2005.

Load below 10 should not be considered high on any Dual Xeon server as Dual Xeon servers are made to work with high load and we dont kill any processes on the server or stop anything to reduce load even if the load is close to 30. It also depends on the quality of hardware you use.

Load over 10 is stretching it a lot eukhost.
    I like to help

Originally posted by Maximiliam
    Load over 10 is stretching it a lot eukhost.
    Probably true but, a Dual Xeon *can* handle extremely high load. You would be surprised when you see some host nodes powered by Virtuozzo and what kind of load average they have (if the node is full).

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

It's a good thing some people are not doctors. I'd hate to have a diagnosis made for me on the basis of a single point of information.

subigo, there is more to server health than load average. Like HiyaCorp says, if your site is loading fine and you're not seeing any problems with the service, then don't worry about it.

any load over 1 x the number of CPU's is an indication that something is running into congestion somewhere - and of course will mean that something will be running slow somewhere on the server.

I would be concerned on any server if the load stays high all the time.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

A server load of 6 isn't that high if it's dual xeon. Depends on the server qualifications.

If you don't notice any slow loads or experienced any downtime, I wouldn't be to concerned.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Hey All,

One of our systems is experiencing high loads due to a couple of really busy sites at the moment. We'll be moving a handful of sites off this system shortly--we've got half a dozen new machines slated for arrival mid-week and half of them will be used to improve the general health of our fleet (although that's not to say its unhealthy now ).

But yeah... I agree that those figures aren't ideal, and by Friday at the latest things should be much improved!

Matt
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They have a Dual processor (more likely Xeon). A load of 6.02 isn't something to massively worry about, though I am sure that load will go back down to normal.

Excuse my ignorance, but I though that in this page I could see the load of the servers

http://www.site5.com/support/currentstatus.php

You're also forgetting process priorities.

You could prioritize httpd/mysqld/exim processes to a higher priority than say a backup process. The processes would load like there is no load on the server at all, and the backup process would use whatever is left, but still produce a high load average figure.
    ии Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ии
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

I have seen loads as high as 10-15, and the server works like a charm. It all depends on the server... if everything is working fine, then I don't think you should worry too much as the host knows what their doing, especially since site5 has been around for a while.

If they're consistently in the 10s, shouldn't you be a bit concerned?

Originally posted by aingaran
    If they're consistently in the 10s, shouldn't you be a bit concerned?
    I would also like to point out that this thread no longer seems to be specifically about Site5, and has turned to a more general discussion of appropriate server management practice. Certainly that's fine, but I just wanted to make that clear to people just catching the last posts:

Site5 is not running our servers with loads of 10-15... that's in reference to someone else!
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Originally posted by Pheaton
    You're also forgetting process priorities.

You could prioritize httpd/mysqld/exim processes to a higher priority than say a backup process. The processes would load like there is no load on the server at all, and the backup process would use whatever is left, but still produce a high load average figure.

Exactly.. funny this does not get mentioned more. Sometimes things like Clam AV and other processes can be put in a secondary process so important processes like Apache/MySQL can run good even when loads are high and Clam AV (resource hog) can run secondary while loads are up and then kick in when Apache and MySQL are running slower again. This way there is no loss of service to the end user.

If this is done the loads will Seem higher than they really are because the loads are going to show the backed up Clam AV or whatever else you have running secondary. Do I think a 6.+ loads is good?? Not at all and something needs to be looked at to lower this if at all possible but Linux is generally able to take a beating and keep running. Site5 said they were going to move things around and I bet they do exactly what they say I have a lot of respect for them.

of course this is just my 2.032 cents.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Well we use a Dual Xeon 2.8GHz server with 2GB of memory and the only time it has ever lagged is when the load was around the 200's (DDoS attack) so 6 isn't quite that bad... As a lot of peopel had said, if everythings working your ok. =)

Originally posted by Site5-Matt
    I would also like to point out that this thread no longer seems to be specifically about Site5, and has turned to a more general discussion of appropriate server management practice. Certainly that's fine, but I just wanted to make that clear to people just catching the last posts:

Site5 is not running our servers with loads of 10-15... that's in reference to someone else!
    Not ours either, just to clear that up But in my day I've seen them that high on other hosts.

Also, just to clear things up... I started this topic and I have to say that I have not had any problems with site5's speed at all. It was just a small concern I had. So far so good.