Thread: Game Servers..

Game Servers..

Hi,

Just wondered..

I've been thinking of renting a VPS for a while now, although this will be meant for 1 purpose only.. having a GameServer on it..
    What I need to be able to do is: Have it in Remote Desktop and be able to execute .exe files.

I am not all sure about what VPS is but think I kinda understand now.. I may be wrong..

I already have a dedicated server to run my gameservers off, but I got 2000 Gb bandwith and a great 2x 2.8ghz server which I dont really need.. usually CPU usage is around 0-5%, and this costs me way too much, as I dont really need all the features.

Could VPS be a good option for my needs, and would it work to install a gameserver, firewall and use Remote Desktop on it? Thanks.

Can you do it? Sure you can, but expect lag and a not so hot game server off of it. Running a game server is a resource intensive thing when you get any amount of players on it, and by the time you have a VPS that could handle it, you could have just gone dedicated.

If you want cheap, go to layeredtech.com and get a dedicated from them.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Thanks for good reply

VPS are not so good for game servers. Get a low end dedicated.

"What I need to be able to do is: Have it in Remote Desktop and be able to execute .exe files."

There really isn't much in the world of Windows VPS servers.

is the game you're looking to run windows-only?
    absolutely no linux daemons available for it?

You might have to go with a windows dedicated in that case.

Yeah, VPS just wouldn't handle a game server anywhere near you are used to having with your current 2.8 Ghz server. just get a low-end dedicated

Ok so you want to run a game server.
    It's more cost effective to get some kind of game server hosting from recongamer or some other provider than to try to host it yourself on a VPS. The cost is almost the same, but the recongamer server will be alot less laggy and alot cheaper.
    If you absolutly have to maintain it on your own, visit layeredtech or serverbeach

Good luck,

But the game I play is a demoversion, so no hosts offer hosting for this game. I have also sendt some gameserver providers email requests about this, although all were declined as they wouldnt do all the hassle with downloading the 90mb and setting it up. :\ Its a small game, one map which everyone has so no map downloads etc, very low processor usage aswell, eats up about 50-70mb of my 1gb ram.
    I got a dedicated but its too high cost in the length, therefore I'd need a VPS or something cheaper than a dedicated. (below $40, which is hard to get a dedicated with Win for that price).
    So it basicly needs about 100-300 Gb bandwith a month max, but 10/100mbps would bn cool.

Is VPS just like a dedicated server, just that you share the amount of space and processor usage with other VPS users on the same server? So I have my own Windows user account on it and such?

Why wouldn't a gameserver be working well on it?

Thanks for all replies

Put it on your home-datacenter.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Well, the main reason not to put it in the VPS is CPU usage. It's best to have the entire computers power dedicated to running that server, instead of multiple websites and a game.

But it runs fine on a 650Mhz, 192Mb ddr.

If ping creeps over 200 once in a while doesn't do that much, as long as its stable.. I think.

This is just meant as an alternate to my current server, and could probably be alot smaller in number of gameslots.

But in general.. is it possible?
    Do I have access to it like a regular ded, only less space, ram and cpu available?

wasting $10-$30 on this as a try wouldn't be too bad of a loss if everything whent to hell.. would probably give me some experience anyways and then aleast I'd know what a VPS is.. id I havent understood it right.

As long as my gameserver keep beyond the VPS limits, and its on a 10/100mbps, shouldnt it be fine?

Lets say for an example that my game requires on a average
    500 mhz cpu,
    100 Mb ram
    500kbps

If I hosted this on a 650mhz, 192mb, 10mbps VPS shouldnt it run perfectly?

Thx

Originally posted by UrlGuy
    But it runs fine on a 650Mhz, 192Mb ddr.

If ping creeps over 200 once in a while doesn't do that much, as long as its stable.. I think.

This is just meant as an alternate to my current server, and could probably be alot smaller in number of gameslots.

But in general.. is it possible?
    Do I have access to it like a regular ded, only less space, ram and cpu available?

Thx
    Yes, acts 99% like a dedicated server does with very few differences.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Okay, thanks May-b I'll try one soon, just need a lil more info to find out if my lil game could run on it

Okay lets say for an example I were to setup a gameserver for this really old game Doom 2, would this run on a VPS? Because I found out the game I want to run on it is about as demanding as the Doom2 serv which requires minimum RAM and CPU usage. Would it work to run it?? Why will it lag?? If its on 10/100mbit shouldnt it be lagfree anyways? Thanks.

Yes, in actually internet lag time the 10/100 mbit port will stop that, but what you keep frogetting is how strong the processor is and if its weak it will lag. Since Doom 2 is old and not very graphics intensive that should work just fine

Is the game windows only? doesn't it work on a linux deomon?
    Reloaded Hosting- Reloaded Servers coming soon
    MSN: daniel [at] reloadedhosting.com AIM: Reloaded Dan Yahoo: Reloaded_Dan ICQ: 229662656 Email:help [at] reloadedhosting.com

Only Windows