* Downtime Notification

-long time reader first time poster haha

I heard of this program or script or something that you can setup to call your pager if your server goes down. Anyone know anything about this? It would be on a linux server. I have no idea how it works. I was thinking maybe you set it up on some other server and it continuisly checks so see if the other server goes down and if it does it notifys you but im not sure. I thought someone might have some idea as to what the heck it was im talking about.

zabbix?
    nagios?

Some of the ones I've personally used - you'll need to make some modifications to have them notify you of certain issues.

Multiple others out there.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

http://www.alertra.com/

Works great you can get email/phone/sms
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

siteuptime.com is an option if you want it offsite and not have to worry about maintaining the script.
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com

I second SiteUptime.com

Great service and a really good price.

~Fred T

Nagios http://www.nagios.org/ (free, Linux) and What's Up Pro http://www.ipswitch.com/Products/Wha...nal/index.html (paid, Windows) can do this off your home machine, too.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I would be recommending Nagios and Alertra. It works really good.

We use Nagios to monitor all of our servers. We also use siteuptime.com to monitor things as well, as a backup. Between the two of those, we've been really happy.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    We use Nagios to monitor all of our servers.
    Nagios can get a bit freaky with around 30 servers on the page. Always something happening.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

"A bit freaky" how? We use it to monitor around 70 servers and the only thing that bugs me is I get 2 pages for every notice it generates. Granted, I don't have anything to do with the admin side of it.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

IPS

I accually decided on IP Sentry, they have a free trial which i did not realize. I signed up for a free service on one of the websites but all they would do really for free is send me an email. But IP Sentry will do the job, wake me up if im sleeping ect. It is only a free trial but it doesnt look too expensive for personal use.