Looking for Advice

Okay, well, let me start from the beginning.

My and my sales/designer dude started talking about advertising with a fairly large group holding a summit. This was back in Feb.

Now, I recently gained a client who is in direct competition with the other group. I figured, oh well, I shouldn't have a problem continuing to advertise with the one group.

Here is the problem, my one friend, who also helps manage accounts/the server exploded on me the other night because I was going to advertise with his competition. He is appearently a part owner in the clients business. He threatened to put a stop on the cheque they sent as first months payment, and cancel the account.

-First, I was annoyed, since his name was not on the account, and I wasn't informed he had the ability to make such decisions.
    -Two, he was drunk at the time
    -Three, Why should a client decided who I advertise with. I also took the time to sortof post the hypothetical that "what if they wanted to host with us? Would you say no?" You can guess how they answered, since I am writing this...

Now, I contacted them, and they said they wouldn't hold the cheque... But they wouldn't "go out of their way to get me customers" if I did advertise. We had previously discussed a potential revenue sharing options for clients we recieved from them along with a substantial discount for their users...

Now, I have seriously thought about terminating access to my bud... Going to sit down and talk to him tomorrow face to face.

I don't know... What do you think?
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

If he was drunk at the time, I would see how the face to face goes.. That will be the deciding factor -- unless he goes there drunk too

Sounds like a pretty messed up situation, good luck and let us know how it goes!!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

I was looking more for advice on the other stuff... I know how to handle him...

I would move forward regardless of this client/friend. If he cannot understand that you are in a business where you cater to all people regardless if they are in competition to each other. This would be like saying that you couldn't host any two sites that are alike and sell the same type of stuff. How ridiculous is that? That would be like some ppc search engine saying sorry I can't have you as a client we already have a hosting company. Any real friend would not put you in this position.
    Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996

What do you think about the client? I discussed this with him some more, and he seems concerned about information disclosure on our part to their competition.

Worried about my one friend talking about their setup, and their potential plans for adding new hardware/etc.

If you think this would be an issue make all your employee's sign an NDA. You can also provide a contract to this client that assures them all employee's have sign and agreed not to disclose client information to any source without written consent of the client. Its a little above and beyond for most clients. However, it sounds like the solution in this situation. Make sure its written in the contract that you are not responsible but the person who released information would be. Your legal help should know how to word it in order to keep you in the clear.
    Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996