Thread: Read a book.

Read a book.

When I started my webhosting company, I didn't know the first thing about running a business. Though both me and my partner managed to keep out of debt, we hadn't managed to make much profit. Que said books. As simplistic and obvious as this may sound, a bet the majority of members here who own a business haven't picked up any kind of book on running a business, or marketing for that matter.

Books are your free help. Why hire an attorney, or a marketing consultant when you can just reed his/her book. There are some things that a pretty flash tutorial won't teach you. Half of the rediculously impossible to answer questions can be read about in a book.

Could you please post some books you consider as a good source of information?

The Wizard of Ads : Turning Words into Magic and Dreamers into Millionaires
    by Roy H. Williams

A great marketing book. You have to use your head alittle, but a very insightful book. The best thing about it is it illustrates obvious and simple ideas, but you get a new respect for them, and their importance in business. It's mostly told in anectodes, but a great read. The author is CEO of a major Marketing Firm.

Brand Warfare : 10 Rules for Building the Killer Brand
    by David D'Alessandro

A simple to understand book about the importance of brand. The author is CEO of John Hancock financial services, a major brand in its industry. Also told with examples and a few anecdotes.

Do you have any suggestions for books relating to just hosting? I want to learn everything about it, not just the basics.

There aren't any decent books dedicated to hosting,
    Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.

Running a hosting business is just like running any other business. Read one of those, you won't be left dissapointed.