Thread: How many RAM ?

How many RAM ?

How many Ram it needs a new VPS to run ok (host a few sites with not much trafic) with cpanel+ fantastico ? 96mb it is ok ? 128mb ? 256mb ?

Did have any one here a VPS with under 96mb ? it runs ok ? or it has a lot of load ?

thank you

I wouldn't run a cPanel with Fantastico on a VPS that small. It'll bog down very quickly.

However, you can certainly run a decent VPS with a 96MB RAM allocation. For instance, I've got a VPS with 96MB of RAM running the following: Apache 2, PHP, MySQL 4.1, Sendmail, UW IMAP, SpamAssassin, and DCC. It works quite well, however it is limited on the number of simultaneous users.

I would recommend atleast 256MB if you want to run CPanel.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Zeon, I have a question about your recommendation that 256 MB is minimum for running CPanel properly.

Is this based on personal experience with CPanel on a smaller VPS? If so, what VPS did you use and was the memory limit fixed or burstable?
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

I run a cPanel vps on 128mb ram, runs fine.

Although i have a burstable cap, so i can use up whats free on the server for a minute or so if need be.

I've run cPanel on 128MB ram with Defender Hosting with many sites. I've had no problems.

Hi,

Originally posted by uneedawebsit
    Zeon, I have a question about your recommendation that 256 MB is minimum for running CPanel properly.

Is this based on personal experience with CPanel on a smaller VPS? If so, what VPS did you use and was the memory limit fixed or burstable?
    Well, you can run CPanel on lower specifications of a VPS but I find that once you put a certain number of sites on the VPS it will start to lag. When I say a certain number, it can only be a few. I would say atleast 128MB but, no less than that!

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business