Question Who in the World should I have Host my site?

...Looking for a great web hoster... Don't mind paying for consistency and quality. But who should I use? There's gazillions! My goal is to open an online store and sell things made in my community. I'd like to accept credit cards without Paypal and also use Paypal. I'd like to add and take away information / photos to the site as I see fit. Any thoughts?

Regardless of which host you choose you will need to have a payment processor and a Paypal account.
    2checkout.com would be a good place to start if you are looking for a third party credit card processor.

Hello Wrangler_Mom,

Have you done any research on one of the "gazillion" hosts? I understand you don't mind paying, however, what is your budget range? Maybe once we find out how much your willing to spend we could help you find a host that will cater to your needs/requirements.

How much space does your site currently require? will you be generating a lot of traffic?

Hi, I am so under educated about web hosters and unsure of myself yet, but I'll try and answer your questions. I've looked at a variety of web host rating sites (determined that they all have a different opinion) and checked some of the top contenders sites. I guess, when I say I don't mind paying I mean, I don't want or expect something for nothing. I don't want a cheap site with banner ads flashing all over it. I want something that doesn't look like a faky template. Is $20ish to little for what I want? I don't have a site made yet. I have no idea how much traffic it will generate once I do. I'm basically in the dark. I have sold on ebay for 4 years with great success and want to branch out.

I know in cPanel you can get free commerse site builders with Fantastico. That would be a big help in creating your web site. Along with, if you could find some company who offers free domains with like yearly plans, you would also have a domain there. There are lots of roads and things to consider in picking a web host. Doing a search on WHT, is the best starter.

I think you need to ask some better questions for your store. What ecommerce solution are you looking for ie oscommerce or many of the other one's available. Then what merchant gateway do you want to use other than paypal. After you get those decided you can start looking for a host that can support your choices.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Here are a few suggestions I would offer.
    Do you have any close friends or relatives that host a website? If so ask them who they use and if theyve been satisfied with their services.
    If you dont even have the site built its going to be hard to determine what you will need in terms of space or bandwidth. Most websites consume about 50-100MB space and use anywhere from 2 to 5gb bandwidth per month so when you see these offers of 5gb space and 50gb bandwidth per month KEEP IN MIND more than likely you wont be using, or needing that much. Also most hosts will allow you to upgrade your plan if your site grows and you need to
    Determine yourself if you are going to need a built in website builder or are you going to use something like Front Page to build your site. Again several hosts offer a site builder along with your account. There are also alot of free templates available online that you simply download but then you would edit it to fit your needs.
    It is SO overwhelming now for people to choose because the market is saturated with web hosts, period and thats one reason I recommend checking with any friends, etc.
    Of course be sure to email any potential host with some questions before signing up.
    Good Luck
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I would suggest start with a basic hosting and then expand as you grow.. hope you are not expecting million hits on your inaugral day

And for picking a host, you must do some serious research, check out reviews here and at other places, compare plans, contact hosts, check offers etc etc.. Choose a host after proper research and you can save yourself from trouble later.. Best of luck!
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Have you used Fantastico? I heard "free" is foolish. There's so much info out there, I don't know what to think... (My Dad is a minister-saw your desc.)

Hmm, good point. Didn't think of oscommerce. Don't even know what it is... And I don't know what merchant gateway to use other than paypal. I am (naively) hoping that one will come with whatever host I use.

domainwala, thank you for your insights. I will check your link!

I don't have any associates who have a web site but someone on ebay told me they use citymax... What do you all think?

Never heard of citymax but you can do a search here on WebHostingTalk for them. If your going for a domain many hosting companies give out free ones to customers who sign up yearly so that might be your best bet. Just remember shop around and ask about the host.
    - 7de5igns

I wouldn't even consider a yearly account with a free domain name....
    It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

A comment in regard to using a "free" storefront program like OSCommerce that most CPanel/Fantastico hosts offer. The program is free in the sense that you aren't charged an additional fee to use it, but you will still be paying for your hosting. You will still have to configure it and put all of your items into it.

OSCommerce is a nice storefront package. There are also a couple of others included in Fantastico that are easy to install and take a look at. You should be able to find one that suits your needs.

$20/mo. should get you a decent business hosting package with a good web host.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

No matter what host you look into, always remember one thing. Be as annoying as you can with pre-sales questions. Some hosts will just give up and think that you are not worth the time, these are the hosts you want to dump as they usually are not as dedicated.

Ask every question you can think of. As you said, you are under educated .. so make sure the host can assist you with your questions! No matter how 'dumb' or 'smart' the question is, ask it. As I have said numerous times, and your situation doesn't change it:

If you join them and say "I hope this works" -- you have chosen the wrong host. If you join them and say "I know this will work" -- you have chosen correctly.

Good luck in your search, this site is a great resource!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

I would recommend a host with fantastico, OScommerce, and any other shopping cart software that is available. Also you may wish to use a non merchant account payment processor such as JensleyPay.

Best of Luck.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Take a look at 10for10.com . Erica and her team does a good job there.

Sounds like you also need a site that can assist with design as well as your ecommerce needs, i would look into turnkey web hosting. Someone that can give you design and hosting support. Just my 2cents
    Zabtek Web Solutions
    Web Hosting*Web Design*Print Media

Based on what I've read, I would recommend a host like Micfo.
    THey have a couple of shopping carts, an all accounts are e-commerce enabled. You could start small, and upgrade if necessary.
    I have an account with them myself, works just fine. (Don't do e-commerce though)
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

A lot of people I know check thehostreport.com they're supposed to be pretty good with their ratings. They have uptime, speed, and customer ratings.

Gazzin.com is a very good reseller... i have using there service for pretty long time....you can try them.....

DomainsPro.com
    2.99 a month with cpanel and fantastico
    Support will probably even help you setup osCommerce.

Hmm, good point. Didn't think of oscommerce. Don't even know what it is... And I don't know what merchant gateway to use other than paypal. I am (naively) hoping that one will come with whatever host I use.
    Some hosts do actually give away a fee Authorize.net gateway with their ecommerce packages.

As far as eCommerce goes - choosing the right shopping cart can be as daunting (if not more so) then choosing the right host.

The best place to start is to determine what you actually need this shopping cart to do. Once you have a solid list made up you can begin to evaluate the various carts then make a decision based on which cart will work best for your specific requirements.

After that, choosing a host that supports your particular cart of choice becomes a much easier task...

www.Site5.com for Hosting
    www.zen-cart.com for Shopping cart (supports authorize.net and its open source with great support)
    www.payquake.com for Merchant Account (uses authorize.net)