Thread: Windows NT

* Windows NT

I personally have stayed away from Windows NT, as it's out dated and I have never used it myself. However as we are now beta testing a few things here and there. Someone has requested a Windows NT box. Before I approve such an action or even forward this to my admin. I thought I of all people should check out this OS first hand, on a personal computer. No point into placing this onto one of our servers... yet.

So now my question. I was going to update to sp6a, but noticed there are 3 files to choice from. At a risk of sounding like a noob, which one do I need?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-a74399e25737

It can't be all of them... Can it?

Does anyone know why someone would request NT? I would think 2000 or even better, 2003 would do the job right.
    Last edited by Atlantis Services; 04-23-2005 at 11:39 PM.
    Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
    Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU

You want the first one. Second one would just update the files that need patching, but I never use it.

NT has a different architecture than 2000 or 2003 and some hardware drivers that worked in NT do not work in 2000/2003. Maybe a program your prospect wants was specifically written for IIS3 or IIS4.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Get the first one.

Anyone know what the 3rd file does? It seems bigger so I thought that would have everything.
    Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
    Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU

Originally posted by CTG
    You want the first one. Second one would just update the files that need patching, but I never use it.

NT has a different architecture than 2000 or 2003 and some hardware drivers that worked in NT do not work in 2000/2003. Maybe a program your prospect wants was specifically written for IIS3 or IIS4.
    Really?

You'd think the newer version would have more support.

Yes, the third file is the "symbol" file. If run it will update various files used for debugging. It does not contain any "OS" updates and can not be used instead of the first file.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by trau
    Yes, the third file is the "symbol" file. If run it will update various files used for debugging. It does not contain any "OS" updates and can not be used instead of the first file.
    Actually I think the main download file, top right hand site of page includes all of the three files mentioned below.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

You'll have a hard time running any new hardware on windows nt.
    ...loading

Originally posted by Georgecooldude
    You'll have a hard time running any new hardware on windows nt.
    I hear the faint sound of an old thread bringer upper againer
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius