Thread: Mysql Database

Mysql Database

Hi,

Does Mysql works on Window 2003 good with no problems? Is it better to have mysql database on linux or window 2003 should be fine?

Thanks
    LaborLawTalk.com

MySQL is ideal for linux...theres a lot of debate on this but it is my opinion that MySQL/php run on a linux database is the fastest combination...if you insist on using windows it will probably work fine it's going to be of average size

If I install mysql on a window 2003 standard server , do you know if I'm going to experience any performance issues.

I heard window 2003 is rock solid. Is that true?
    LaborLawTalk.com

Hello Linda:

MySQL has no problems at all running on Windows Server 2003. I am currently running it in mission critical environments and so far have no trouble. No performance loss either.

But? if your new to Databases and are running Windows Server 2003 i'd recommend you look into MSDE at: www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/default.asp

It's a light weight version of SQL Server 2000 which has a lot of Enterprise features such as: Stored Procedures, Triggers, Nested Triggers, Schemas, XML, And so on.

Thanks! hope this helps you. If you need any further help send me an email.

Hi Linda can I ask is there a specific reason as to why you rather go with a windows 2003 than a redhat linux? Are you running other programs on your server that require .NET .asp ect..? Your database should work fine on a windows 2003 server but there really is no reason to pay more for one if you are only using a MySQL and php combination.

Both window 2003 and linux are the same price from our hosting company. The reason why I wanted to go with Window is because I know nothing about linux. I would than need someone to help me manage the linux server if I go with linux which will comes out to cost me a lot more.
    LaborLawTalk.com

Currently porting DB to mysql on win 2003 server and have had no problems. Big difficulty though with windows is the huge licence fees one needs to pay if going into a clustered environment. But that aside myself on win 2003 server for me has been running like a dream.