Best language for high traffic chat room?

I've seen chat rooms out there built in everything from java to flash/php and everything else in between. I am wondering which language is best to hold the most amount of concurrent users and effeciently handle the server load for a chat room?

Java. Php would probably use MySQL which would be slow and would consume a ton of MySQL Connections.

java would be the best choice or a java frontend connected to a IRC Server.

so you are saying flash/php is no good?

I'm sure you could do it, but I agree that Java would be better server-side. Java and Flash would both do okay on the client side. With Java, all of the requests run as threads in the same memory space, so shared data is easy and efficient. In PHP, each request is run separately, so you need some type of bridge (like MySQL) to keep them in sync with each other.

Rob mentioned a Java client to an IRC server. There are plenty of those wandering around if you don't want to build your own.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Another thought if you want to use php really badly is to use a socket connection that cant time out within an iframe that connects to an IRC or that connections to your own chatroom built application.

I did something similar to the above description for a basic chat I built but my backed was python console which communcated with the socket in the iframe. It is possible to make the backend php too but to have it constantly running slows the a server down quite a bit.

Just another suggestions that might not be the fastest but might work better than flash/php/mysql.

I think irc is ok... Or php/mysql... Something fast....

the thing is there's this really hot chat script in flash/php/mysql it was tested with up to 70 users simultaneously but im looking for something that will hold more than that....this chat has a bunch of cool add ons too that i havent seen with any java script so far

All these cool addons that you speak of, these will degrade from the performance of the application. Especially if its entirely web based.

This is partly the reason why IRC is so damn fast. Its doesn't bother with frilly doo-daas like video, avatars, sound, etc.

You might want to look at a custom chat service provider (like digichat).

I agree, but i've seen some very fancy systems with flash + php + xml

php + mysql + iframe = bad bad bad

Has anyone ever had any experience with

FlashChat:
    http://www.tufat.com/script2.htm

This is the chat that I am really considering on using. I obviously would need a dedicated server for it, I've been hearing some pretty good stuff on this chat but the thing is that it has only been tested with up to 70 conncurrent users.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a specific chat room software to use that will allow unlimited user created rooms, integration with a CMS system or forum such as phpBB, able to hold unlimited concurrent users with sleek look & design?

I would have chosen SigmaChat if it werent for the fact that each room is a "sub room" and not really an entire room onto itself somewhat like the FlashChat has.

anyone?.......

Nope, can't say I have. How much traffic are we talking here? The difference could be negligeable

The best (from security and perfomance point) is write chat daemon using C. Check the good example of chat at http://chat.naken.cc/

Using Java chat is absolutely awful for the user. I can't stand using it, nor do I know anyone that can. Regardless of what you use on the server side, I'd stick to HTML on the client end. See CGI:IRC for an example of how this can be done well.

Using a servlet or a good 'ol IRC server is probably the best way to go on the backend.

Originally posted by angelic81
    Has anyone ever had any experience with

FlashChat:
    http://www.tufat.com/script2.htm

This is the chat that I am really considering on using. I obviously would need a dedicated server for it, I've been hearing some pretty good stuff on this chat but the thing is that it has only been tested with up to 70 conncurrent users.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a specific chat room software to use that will allow unlimited user created rooms, integration with a CMS system or forum such as phpBB, able to hold unlimited concurrent users with sleek look & design?

I would have chosen SigmaChat if it werent for the fact that each room is a "sub room" and not really an entire room onto itself somewhat like the FlashChat has.
    I've had great success with FlashChat, and its options for customization are extremely pleasing. I have however only had a max of 20~ish users at one time so I couldn't comment on it fulfilling your specific needs.

I would recommend their software to anyone looking for a chat system.