How to make a server at home

Hey I was wondering what I would need to do if I wanted to turn my home computer into a server so that I can host my own website and not have to pay someone. Is this even possible? Please let me know.

Yes it's very possible.

The first thing we need to know is what connection you have, and we can work out what sort of usage your server can have. Most home connections have 256kbps upload speeds, which is fine for a small personal site but nothing major.

I think I have 384 up stream. And this will only be used by me.

Ok I just checked it is 384kbs - 512kbs upstream, and 1.5mbs - 3.0 mbs downstream.

OK.

Next step, what Operating System would you like to use? The main choices are Windows vs Linux vs BSD/Unix.

How are you connected to the internet, modem directly to your computer or via a modem?

If you're behind a router what IP addressing scheme are you using (private/internet).

Dan

I am connected to the internet via a DSL connection. The modem is hooked directly to my computer. NO router.

Make sure your ISP allows webhosting (even personal). Comcast for example blocks port 80.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Ok, it is SBC Yahoo DSL. Also can someone give me a step by step of what I need to do, or point me to where I can see how to do this.

We need alot more info first.
    Next step, what Operating System would you like to use? The main choices are Windows vs Linux vs BSD/Unix.

Basically I wil just be running my personal site, and a small forum. Currently I am using Linux and have had no problems with it.

What other info do you need?

If you are using linux, install and configure apache and you should be good to go.

Http://www.google.com holds all the info you need
    Mike from Zoodia.com

You may find the following site useful:

http://www.dslwebserver.com/

It only appears to have guides for windows though. IMO you would be better using linux so have a look for a distro such as debian

Great link ijg0, also I will google apache. I didn't know what to google before, as I had no idea what I needed to do. I figure I am paying for internet connection, why pay for webhosting also.

Becuase paid webhositng offers much more than you will get out of your at home server
    Mike from Zoodia.com

I don't need much to run my forum and basic webpage. Heck I am using godaddy right now at the base level and have not had a problem.

Comcast for example blocks port 80.
    FWIW Comcast does not block port 80 in Atlanta area...

Originally posted by rotoiti
    FWIW Comcast does not block port 80 in Atlanta area...
    Well I came across about 10 old computers the school district in my area was throwing out while I worked for them with the wireless network (p100mhz or so) and they said I could have all of them. I am a big packrat so I couldn't say no. Long story short I have 10 old machines in the closet and i through FreeBSD on a couple of them just to have some fun. Setup apache and called comcast and they block ports 80, 21, and a handful of others in my area (souteast michigan).
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    Make sure your ISP allows webhosting (even personal). Comcast for example blocks port 80.
    Not here they don't, and I have a few friends in different parts of the country who host their own Apache server for development uses and theirs aren't blocked.

well maybe not im my area, i run stats for my game server off my home network.
    gotLan?

comcast does not block port 80 in my area - central PA

Well since everybody wants chime in about the comcast topic I'll just post this:

Taken From: http://www.comcast.net/terms/use.jsp

run programs, equipment, or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises LAN (Local Area Network), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited services and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Well since everybody wants chime in about the comcast topic I'll just post this:

Taken From: http://www.comcast.net/terms/use.jsp

run programs, equipment, or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises LAN (Local Area Network), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited services and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;
    Two things:

1. Around here in the Philly area, they dont block ports on Comcast.
    2. I spoke to a comcast rep the other day about running servers on their network. As long as there are no complaints or excessive bandwith usage, they dont have a problem with it.

wow....this is not a thread about whether or not comcast allows you to run a server, yet there is now 8 total posts reguarding it. Can a mod please delete all these (inclduing mine where I mentioned them in the beginning). This was not the intent of the thread.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Nah, this thread is interesting and maybe quite usefull.

Just to add:
    My ISP doesn't block any ports, however in the TOS they state clearly that you may not run any type of public server on the residential broadband accounts. In fact, my ISP is lame and say you may only have one computer using a residential ADSL line at any one time. I have three computers and a router on mine...

Ofcourse, if you upgrade to the business broadband (around 3 times more expensive, with the same upstream/downstream), then you have "permission" to have more than one computer using the line, and you're allowed to run a webserver.

personally I would just sign up for standard webhosting, there are piles of places that will do it for a severely low cost and with great realiability....unless its something you want to give a whirl. Then get something like no-ip.com or another dynamic dns service a try with your home connection