Getting a computer...

Few Questions, if you dont mind.

Do the raptor drives really matter? Can you really tell the difference between 7,200 RPM and 10,000 RPM?

RAM- What is the best RAM for the lowest cost? Are Kingston good? Corsair?

Is 939-PIN needed? Should I worry about it over 754?

Also, will I notice a speed change from (64) 3000+ to 3200+ ? 3200+ to 3500+ ?

Thanks

Def. go 939. If you plan on upgrading this in the future its a must.

Ok, a couple things. Are you building a computer, or are you getting a retail machine? It appears as though, you are "getting" a custom a computer so let me add my suggestions.

1. The hard drive RPMs don't really matter. Or atleast, there is not much of a obvious difference.

2. For RAM I suggest getting the cheapest price. It's sort of like getting a car. You can get a Lexus for 50,000 or you can get a Kia for 20,000. They both take you to the same place, just the Lexus has more of a name recognition. If you are looking for bragging rights you would go for the Lexus. I do recommend getting 1 GB of RAM, as it will make your computer dramatically faster.

3. If you are making videos or planning on doing a lot of stuff on your computer get the fastest processor speed. Personally, I have a 2.4 GHZ Celeron with 1 GB of RAM and it's VERY fast.

What do you plan to use the computer for? There's great differences in a gaming machiene -> server -> something to use for word only
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

Last time I checked Corsair was not too cheap. They come with lifetime warranty's don't they?
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

I've found the buffer cache on the harddrive seems to be more effective than the rpm but if you have the extra cash I recommend the raptor in RAID 0 configuration.

RAM you may want to get at least 1- 1 1/2 GB as the new games are using more resources than ever.

Processor:

I've found amd processors to beat out intel on gaming.

Intel seems to do better in load intensive work such as video editing and large scale office operations.

Video Card:

another gamer issue. PCI-Express cards are fairly new in the market and you'll need to do your research. A lot of the newest games are aiming towards video cards with 256 mb of memory.

Speed Change:

That's a difficult question to answer but if you covered the things I mentioned above it probably won't do a whole lot.

Cooling:

An often misunderstood aspect of computers with many approaches. I recommend you consult the manufacturer or if you plan to build it yourself other people who have built computers to do what you want to do for cooling advice. There's plenty of build it yourself and hardware forums everywhere that have a wealth of information.

If you plan to build your own I recommend you use arctic silver for the thermal grease as I've had consistently impressive results with it.
    Last edited by cywkevin; 04-23-2005 at 04:01 PM.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Thank you for your comments.

It will be used for (heavy, doom 3 etc )Gaming, as a home computer.

I am not building my own, I am getting it from a place online. (I wish I knew how to build my own, but I do not have the time to learn).

As for the ram, here are my choices.

(1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY)
    GEIL VALUE RAM

GeIL Ultra-X High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader [+165]

Kingston Hyper-X High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader [+112]

Corsair XMS High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader [+112]

Corsair XMS PRO High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader & LED Lights [+125]

There we go. And, I dont think cooling will be a problem.

Edit:

Anyone know how the AMD ATHLON64 FX 55 CPU preforms?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Camp2Win
    Anyone know how the AMD ATHLON64 FX 55 CPU preforms?
    That CPU is their flagship CPU. That CPU kicks serious azz. If you can get it, get it.

O yea, And if you do get it, im jealous.

Originally posted by ZFX-David
    2. For RAM I suggest getting the cheapest price. It's sort of like getting a car. You can get a Lexus for 50,000 or you can get a Kia for 20,000. They both take you to the same place, just the Lexus has more of a name recognition. If you are looking for bragging rights you would go for the Lexus. I do recommend getting 1 GB of RAM, as it will make your computer dramatically faster.

Huh? Who told you that? Get cheap ram = worse performance. You would be soo surprised to how much more stable, fast, and more responsive a system is with good memory. Not only does brand name memory have better timings, but also has better bandwidth. It's like getting a Kia and a Porsche. Both will get you to the end of the race, but one will get you there faster.
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

I agree with Pheaton ....

It's better to look at the RAM's full details before buying (ex. CAS Latency and etc)

Yes the FX55 kicks a** and it's much better than intel's Extreme editions trust me!!