Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DReamhost: good or bad?

I just had a look at
    http://dreamhost.com

What do you think, is it a reliable host?
    Michele Bugliaro Goggia, designer SUP in visual communication
    webmaster: www.ufopsi.com

Yes. Long track record. Plenty of admirers on this forum.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

Sounds like better than Fasthosts.

I think it is. They have their own servers, too.

But if I may suggest, also try this link

i think it is because it has been up for a while and from what i can tell there havent been too many problems and complaints.

Looks they are offering 2.4 GB/120GB for 7.95.. thats quiet economical...
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

One thing I'ven't understood is if you can pay yearly, instead of monthly.

I'd Suspect with this sale there having, With everything tripled that could run into server issues...
    8i Networks - Advanced Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Names and E-Commerce
    Providing Affordable, Reliable and Scalable Web Solutions Since 2000.

Hello ufopsi,
    With the "777" promotion code yearly isn't a problem! It brings the price down to like $9.24!

Best Regards,
    Former owner of 275mb, DKMHosting, and Easy-Upload

I heartily second the recommendation for Dreamhost. I signed up with them recently, and they have exceeded all my expecations (prompt support, good uptime, acceptable server load, and cheap ).

With the "777" code that JohnGladen mentions, the price goes down to $9.24 a year.

And they offer an incredible 97-day money back guarantee.

I must agree. I have an account with them also & things work quite well. ANd, yes, sure you can pay yearly and save money.
    They have a 91-day money back guarantee, rather unique.

Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

have any of you used dreamhost for more than a year ?

I want to know about dreamhost because I'm searching for a new hosting company too.

The offer seems to be impressive. But it will be recommended you to check with the support quality once. There are many people who at times have lured to the package and later on had to face some terrible support.

Dreamhost is a solid hosting company. Been using them to host numerous static and dynamic sites of all shapes and sizes since 2001. Support time has suffered a little as of late, probably b/c they've been adding so many people with their latest deals, but it's still not too bad. They also have a call-back option depending on the acct level you have.

I also host numerous sites with other companies and I have to say Dreamhost is still my favorite shared hosting option. Control panel rocks, KB is great, and we've never had any issues with downtime. Only beef is I wish they had Live Chat for quick support questions, and it is shared so you share IP addresses with like 5-15 other sites unless you pay extra for each, but other than that, hard to go wrong with them. Seen some shared companies that cram hundreds and even thousands of sites on the same IP though, so 5-15 isn't too bad. I would like option of getting different C-Class IP addresses, but not many shared hosts provide that unless you use a VPS or a modification of it like WestHost has (another good host IMO).

Now, if I could only find a rock solid Windows host for our .net customers, then I'd have all my bases covered. Guess I'll have to dig around on the forum for a bit longer...

Thanks for the info, I'm looking for old members here tho.

Well on the first look, I've asked them what I was not sure and I'm really surprised that they answered me less than 12h which is faster than paypal's support even.

Hope they keep being that quick.

Hey Death, I know I'm not an old member here, but I've lurked and searched here for hosting info for a long time (great board by the way). Had no intention of posting, just ran across your DH post while looking for windows hosts and thought I'd share.

As an FYI - 12hours or less is what you can pretty much expect from Dreamhost support. Used to be like within 3 always, but now it's usually 3-12, depending on the # of support queiries that are in the que (which they do show in CP). For what it's worth, I also think WestHost is great for the money as well, especially if you don't require much documentation on how to do things. VPS gives you unique IP if you're concerned with SEO and rankings, but no root access for apps so not true VPS. Probably have over 40 sites between the two of them, many more on others, and for shared hosting those two companies are great low cost options that I rely on daily for a number of our moneymakers...

Good luck!

Westhost.com right ?

Thanks for the info, much appriciate.

I think I may go with DreamHost since they offer more bandwidth than WestHost, I need alot of bandwidth and their price is incredible. I want to make sure that all are true and reliable.

Thanks again

Yeah, more bandwidth with DH. They have some ridiculous bandwith offerings for the money, very hard to beat if that's a key requirment for you. Many years ago I seem to recall it was even unlimited at one point (w/in reason), which was really crazy. Only thing is, if you need PHP5 I don't think they have that installed yet.

One of the reasons I also like Westhost.com is b/c they're reliable, have 4.3 and 5, are pretty responsive, and give you a unique IP and with the VPS, so if you do a reverse IP lookup all you see is 1 site hosted site on that server (even though there are many). A few rumors floating around the SEO world about shared hosting potentially being one of many checks against your ranking ability in highly competitive cirlces. Can't say I've proven that to be true though, as I have many high ranking sites on hosted servers, but I also have a few that rock on that setup so who knows...

Their shared hosting plan seems too good to be true for that amount of space and bandwidth, but my friend is hosted with them and she pretty much recommends them.

Shame about the setup fee, which could make some potential customers rethink their plans.

It seems too cheap for 120 GB a month of transfer.

Originally posted by Rizal
    Shame about the setup fee, which could make some potential customers rethink their plans.
    I'd considered DreamHost too and the $49.95 setup fee was what turned me away.

set up fee is just for one month plan, if you pay yearly set up fee is waived.

one thing I've heard from my customer was DH doesn't allow uploading files from external servers and their CPanel is weird.

but those 2 problem aren't anything with me.

Originally posted by deathemperor
    one thing I've heard from my customer was DH doesn't allow uploading files from external servers and their CPanel is weird.
    Just ssh into your account and "wget" the file you want to wherver you want to save it. :-)

that was not its problem, it's because they don't allow uploading avatars from external server, yeah from a PHP script.

and to have SSH enable I'll get to pay much more for them.

Originally posted by deathemperor
    set up fee is just for one month plan, if you pay yearly set up fee is waived.
    I always go for monthly billing. I hate to be tied down for long periods as things could always go wrong, even for big hosts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast