* Why some hate flash?

I've read often "Your website contains flash, I don't like it.

Why do some of you dislike flash?

If it's the sounds some flash websites have, that is slightly annoying. Id like to get some good opinions on this topic, which will make it easier for me to decide if flash would be appropriate for our website.

Some people tend to dislike Flash because you have to download separate software in order to view it, music can be annoying (especially if the speakers are turned up loud), it can take a while to download, and the list goes on.

I don't believe Flash is truly necessary in order to improve your web site. It seems to me that it's just one more obstacle that visitors have to go through in order to get to the meat of the site (which is usually content). However, this mainly applies to Flash intros. Flash can be useful if it a) is initiated by the user, b) provides useful information (such as a product demo), and c) isn't full of glitzy images and music that require huge downloads.

The bottom-line: avoid Flash intros, if possible.

Well, I don't have anything against flash; its how it is used that bothers me.

Some of my favorite sites are flash, and some of the crappiest sites are flash too!
    I think maybe its because of the pre-loader? Or you have to get a plug-in for your Browser to view it or maybe your on dial-up and tough luck for you! (varies).

"Your website contains flash, I don't like it.

Well, it has to be more to it than that. Thats like saying Your website has content, I dont like it. The key question is whether the flash helps your design, or does it push your design to a whole new level and of course is it well done? If I see a nicely done flash site then good job! Likewise if I see a crappy one then try again! Flash is not the problem here, its your design.

its obnoxious, I don't want flashing crap floating around on the screen trying to distract me while I am trying to concentrate on what is really the point of the site. Thats my opinion. However, there are situations where flash can be applied nicely and very tastefully. However, those sites are far and few between.
    [color=#666666]Ackoo Solutions, LLC

I don't mind Flash but I'll never put it on my website. There are many corporate firewalls that block it. I can't even surf the Macromedia web page from work and am part of an Intranet with 500,000 employees.

My advice: Flash is cool but don't make your customer have to use it to get around your site.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I think when people make all pages in flash, headers and buttons too, they will lost users..., and like Jakob Nielsen said in his book about usability...3, 5 or more customers is too much to loose...
    Why do you think people who has not a puglin or not want to, will install this plugin only to view your site...they close your page and go to another website....
    Last edited by empresasdehosting; 04-23-2005 at 04:39 PM.

Flash can improve a website, but you have to use it well. Unfortunatly, as already said in the thread, most of the websites that use it don't use it well.

I dislike flash as there is no stable, working open source flash plugin. It is true that this only affects a minority -- but it affects them heavily. It affects everyone, really, because by using flash, you're forcing people into a certain platform. You should avoid flash for the reason that you should design sites to work on browsers other than Internet Explorer.

There is a Linux plugin, sure, but only if you have a 32-bit x86 system. It won't work on a brand-new Athlon 64 -- not easily. It also will not work on Macs or iSeries running Linux, as they have a PowerPC processors. PowerPC systems, infact, are a very popular platform for Linux. But you're in luck if you have an SGI -- in return for the $15,000+ you spend on your system, you get the privledge of having version 4.0 of the flash plugin!
    Eric W.
    GrokThis.net, geek-niche shared hosting solutions.
    VPS Village. Low-cost Xen VPS and cloud infrastructure hosting.

i am on a dialup connection, and I hate waiting.

You should have a portal page that lets the user choose flash or plain html .

Some people intend to over-use Flash and I think that's why people find it annoying. And of course, not everyone has broadband.

There are multiple reasons why, for me, flash is unsuitable.

1. It's slow.
    Fine, for broadband users, great! It'll load quickly. But think of the 56k'ers out there. That's some of your market and they need to be accounted for!

2. No stable plugin.
    As already mentioned, there is no stable flash plugin and, although only affecting a few, it does affect people.

3. It's annoying (sometimes).
    Flash can be very annoying. Things moving around, noises going off, whishes, zooms, woooooos, wows and bangs going of everywhere - no thanks!

4. Not good for business.
    I design sites for businesses - thats my job. Businesses want clean, corporate, easy-to-use websites that will attract customers. Fair enough, for some companies flash could be the best option, but only if used well - which, most of the time it's not!

They're my views on flash!

Some people hate Flash because it keeps getting used obnoxiously by various web designers, who feel it's necessary to force visitors on dialup to wait 2 minutes for a web site's splash screen to load, just so they can access its content.

In other words, they hate it because it keeps getting abused by many people. Flash is and always was meant to be a multi-media tool (games, interactive stuff, etc.), not as a replacement for elements on a web page that could just be done with old-fashioned html.

ya, flash is very annoying sometimes. Develeopers make it too intensive for sites that should be simple. It's a fine line between too much or too little.

I think that Flash has it's place. But most business websites find it hard enough to get noticed by their customers on the web. Flash is an uneccessary hurdle as far as Internet Marketing.

Flash files are not "search engine friendly", meaning that search engines can not extract any text or meaning out of a flash file. And if not meaning is extracted, then how can a search engine rank a flash-heavy site?

It's really just shooting yourself in the foot.

I dont like when a page is totally designed in Flash. That is most annoying.

If it has some flash, like maybe the site logo, or something, and they are not HUGE. Then it can be ok.

But seriously a site entirely made out flash? Hehe
    SharkBait
    Web Dev: php, MySQL, HTML, XHTML, JS, CSS
    www.DyanmicShark.com - Coming Soon!
    My Blog:www.tyleringram.com

flash for me....is something i don't mind the first time to the site, but i'd like to disable it for repeated visits - it 's to sluggish

I don't think people hates Flash. But some people (including me) hates if someone creates a Flash based website, and doesn't offer an alternative HTML version.

Flash is a nice piece of software/plug-in designer-wise. you can create awesome animation files and presentations with relatively smaller file size.
    Closed for winter...

With the exception of Movies Official Site Flash is essential.

I agree that a page totally designed in flash is a little bit annoying. Of course that there are special websites that have to be made on flash, and are good.
    I believe most full-flash websites are too small, I never seen a 100% flash website with a scroll down option(Not scroll-down inside the flash, cause that's annoying :])

But flash inside a page on menu and details makes a very very good impression
    Web design.
    Aztex Art - http://aztexart.com

Hi,

Flash can be good in tutorials and presentations where words might be difficult to explain.

My opinion is to use flash wisely - only use it when necessary.

To add to the good reasons already posted, the use of Flash often gives me the impression that the designer was thinking one of these ways:

(a) Look at me! I know how to make things blink and move!! I'm cool!!!

(b) My content isn't very good, so I'll try to distract visitors with annoying blinking moving things.

When I click on a link and get the message "Please wait for Flash to download" or whatever it says, I hit the Back button. As others have said, Flash isn't user-friendly except for a few specific uses. If the designer thinks flashiness is more important than substance and usability, I'm not interested.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Theodore Roosevelt

There are many reasons to make some people hate Flash.
    If well used, Flash can be a good thing, but when you abuse from it, it can turn into a nightmare.

Cons of having a flash-only web site:
    No bookmarks
    No search engine optimization
    Slower to load than HTML.

I personally only tend to use flash in the navigation bars. It is the only sector that in my opinion is worth to use Flash at.

Flash Intros? Please don't.
    PenguinPower.eu :: 100% European Cloud-Based Web Hosting
    European Service means European Quality.
    Visit us today at https://www.penguinpower.eu!

Originally posted by AF
    I personally only tend to use flash in the navigation bars. It is the only sector that in my opinion is worth to use Flash at.
    I'm surprised you use Flash for such a crucial part of the site. People who don't have Flash enabled (often by choice) won't be able to get past the landing page unless you also have an HTML menu.

Lois

Originally posted by writespeak
    I'm surprised you use Flash for such a crucial part of the site. People who don't have Flash enabled (often by choice) won't be able to get past the landing page unless you also have an HTML menu.

Lois
    I am surprised you do not know how to fix that problem...

Originally posted by AF
    I am surprised you do not know how to fix that problem...
    It isn't up to site visitors to fix problems with sites.

BTW, why do you like Flash for menus? Personally, I want menus that I can read and use fast, but you must see an advantage to Flash that I don't see yet.

Lois

Originally posted by writespeak
    It isn't up to site visitors to fix problems with sites.

BTW, why do you like Flash for menus? Personally, I want menus that I can read and use fast, but you must see an advantage to Flash that I don't see yet.

Lois
    Never said the user is supposed to fix it. I do it. If the user has flash disabled, he is directed to the site in html. That's it.

About the navigation, here is an excellent example of what I mean:
    http://www.macromedia.com

Cheers.

Flash is not suited for people with sight impairments. This alone makes it unsuitable for the web, even more so for businesses.

IMO;

Flash introductions to websites are way over the top. I personally can't stand them, even if there is a "Click here to skip intro" link.

Completely flash sites are over the top aswell in my oppinion. There is absolutely no need. Sometimes it is OK, but when everything is flashing and shimmering all over the place it makes me want to leave the site.

Flash headers I like. If used tastefully. If they just shove any old animation in and sound it because they automatically think using flash makes them "1337" then I hate it. But those flash headers that you tend to see in a lot of hosting templates are quite nice. A nice way of advertising the service.

Sound is a definate no no for me. I'm always listening to music on my computer, and it really ruins the song when you hear a "swoosh" or a "bzzzt" when you're listening to Muse :p

Originally posted by AF
    >> Never said the user is supposed to fix it. I do it. If the user has flash disabled, he is directed to the site in html. That's it.

Ah, I see. I took the "you" in your previous post to mean the site visitor.

>> About the navigation, here is an excellent example of what I mean:
    http://www.macromedia.com

It looks good, it's functional, and it isn't at all annoying. As long as those without Flash are seamlessly taken to a page with an HTML menu, I think that's an excellent use of Flash.

Lois

Flash is good for online games or when your project needs go beyond XHTML. This said, I'm not using Flash for my websites, leaving it for presentations (slides).
    Michele Bugliaro Goggia, designer SUP in visual communication
    webmaster: www.ufopsi.com