Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CPanel on CentOS 4 - stable?

I plan to get a new server and run CPanel on CentOS 4, but I have heard there's an issue with SELinux and it needs to be disabled before installing CPanel. Is that true?

Provided that we disable SELinux and can get CPanel installed properly, how does it perform on CentOS 4? Is it rock solid, as in CentOS 3.x and can we trust it for a live production server?

Will CPanel support CentOS 4 with SELinux in the near future?

Thanks in advance for all the inputs and have a great weekend!

as far as i know there are no plans to support selinux, selinux in my opinion is far from stable and should be avoided.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Thanks for the quick reply Steve!
    So with SELinux disabled, does CPanel run stable and rock solid on CentOS 4? Any other glitches that we should be aware of?

We have experience issues with Centos 4. Lot of small issues as well. I prefer not to use it until Cpanel releases stable version
    Server4Sale
    Dirt CHEAP Servers coming soon

server4sale, thanks for the input, may I know what kind of small issues did you experience?

according to the cpanel guys it should work on edge
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Ive been using it since it was released (centos 4 that is) the only thing i had problems with was initally getting exim setup one a couple boxes.

yeah if you edit /scripts/exim4 and add --nomd5 it generally will install fine.

Originally posted by server4sale
    We have experience issues with Centos 4. Lot of small issues as well. I prefer not to use it until Cpanel releases stable version
    From what I've seen, there are lots of small issues with cPanel no matter what OS you put it on :-)
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

There are quite a few issues with CentOS 4 itself and the new versions of packages that Redhat roll out in RHE4.

With Cpanel itself, Seliux is simply a different security model and even if Cpanel has plans, I doubt it will be anytime soon as Cpanel security is largely based on the conventional user and file permissions. (and Selinux is a total different story).

Cpanel will install fine but from experience Exim won't install till you use the nomd5 switch (on new boxes).

The main issue is the new versions used. Examples are Clamav if you install from source, logwatch (with certain settings) etc

For upgraded machines, there would be some other issues, depending on what was installed prior to the upgrade.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Okay, I think I got the point

How long do you think RHEL 4 / CentOS 4 will eventually be fully compatible with the major control panels? I heard Plesk also doesn't fully support RHEL 4 due to this SELinux thing.

There is a CentOS 4.0 x86_64 / CPanel gltich tho because if you run easy apache, libphp4.so and libxml will be misplaced. Once the CPanel installation is done you will not be able to see php pages and you will see why.
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

cpanel + x86_64 == problems anyways

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    From what I've seen, there are lots of small issues with cPanel no matter what OS you put it on :-)
    From what I've seen, those who have that many problems with cPanel have a general lack of experience and/or clue.

Originally posted by nickn
    From what I've seen, those who have that many problems with cPanel have a general lack of experience and/or clue.
    Not always. At times CPanel can be very buggy software, and give the best of administrators headaches. Other times (the large majority), CPanel works like a charm and is a total workhorse.

Originally posted by shockuk
    Not always. At times CPanel can be very buggy software, and give the best of administrators headaches. Other times (the large majority), CPanel works like a charm and is a total workhorse.
    This statement really makes no sense.

Basically you're saying the vast majority of the time cPanel works like a charm and is a total workhorse, but there can be times where it has problems? Yes, sounds like any other software.

cPanel isn't perfect, I never claimed this, but we have now have over 150 cPanel servers, and I can't remember the last cPanel bug that affected us to any large degree. Each and every server is a workhorse..sure there might be a hurdle to get over occasionally, but overall, the problem with cPanel is people think they can run it out of the box with no prior experience.

When cpanel run on windows? Please fast!

Originally posted by shockuk
    At times CPanel can be very buggy software, and give the best of administrators headaches. Other times (the large majority), CPanel works like a charm and is a total workhorse.
    That's my impression too, the main issue being probably the conflict with Clamav's Spam Assassin.

Clamav and SpamAssassin is 2 different software.
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••

Provided that we disable SELinux and can get CPanel installed properly, how does it perform on CentOS 4? Is it rock solid, as in CentOS 3.x and can we trust it for a live production server?
    I've tried it on a test box I built up here to experiment with TomCat.

I was so wrong thinking it'd be a simple matter of an OS install, and then a quick cPanel install on top of that, once the cPanel install completed, virtually everything was broken, I didn't even manage to get into WHM.

Reloaded to 3.4 and all my problems were solved

cPanel isn't perfect, I never claimed this, but we have now have over 150 cPanel servers, and I can't remember the last cPanel bug that affected us to any large degree. Each and every server is a workhorse..sure there might be a hurdle to get over occasionally, but overall, the problem with cPanel is people think they can run it out of the box with no prior experience.
    I can remember tons, just a few ...

-The bug with a certain cPanel release that caused Apache to crash and continue crashing constantly.

-The bug that magically made peoples bandwidth usage go through the sky, resulting in people being charged for overage they hadn't used.

-The issue with the broken chrooted named, which meant an awful lot of file editing was required to actually get it to work.

The list goes on and on ....

Dan
    Last edited by dkitchen; 04-24-2005 at 05:35 AM.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan

I was so wrong thinking it'd be a simple matter of an OS install, and then a quick cPanel install on top of that, once the cPanel install completed, virtually everything was broken, I didn't even manage to get into WHM
    It should be. I done it many times and that's pretty much it (except for Exim). But getting into WHM isn't and had never been an issue.

Thanks again for all the thoughtful inputs. I guess it's still too early to expect CPanel + CentOS 4 to be stable.

There's a thread about this right now in the Cpanel fourms.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

Originally posted by blueface
    Thanks again for all the thoughtful inputs. I guess it's still too early to expect CPanel + CentOS 4 to be stable.
    Actually it's very stable as long as you know what to watch out for and configure. i.e. You need to configure certain services.

Originally posted by hiepgia
    When cpanel run on windows? Please fast!
    Probably not in a near future. You can see at www.cpanel.net that there is no time line for it.

Regards
    Portugal Networks
    Shared and Reseller cPanel Accounts. NEW! Windows 2003 with Plesk, ASP.NET 2.0 and MSSQL 2005.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast