Athlon or Pentium

We have a chance to pick up some servers with 1 Ghz Athlon processors. I'm not going to say we're going to get them cheap but it is less than normal. Now, knowing the neverending debate I ask...Is there a substantial difference in using the athlon vs. pentium?

I know many say heat is an issue but in a climate controlled data center is this really an issue?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

Use extra fans. Definitely use extra fans. More air equals cooler environment equals no problems. Heat on AMD processors is where you will find the problem.

If you are using 1u cases, getting enough GOOD circulation can be challenging. In a mid tower configuration, lots of companies have done well with AMDs including ourselves and Rackspace.

Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer Rackshack.net

I suggest your search the archive. This issue has been raised a few times, and their contents are still relevant and fresh.

Peter

I'll take an athlon over a pentium any day. I have never had heat problems with any of my mid towers, except one of the old school slot athlons, when one of the (many) fans died.

-Dan
    Affordable web hosting, design, & domain registration services since 2001
    www.serve-you.net