Heads up on cancelling a 1and1 account

I had an account with 1and1 and decided that their control panel was not robust enough. Went to Matrix/Vortech, and that ended up a nightmare. I was invited to leave Vortech by their main tech guy. Happy to oblige. Now I'm with Autica/midPhase, and they've been virtually trouble-free. It's been pretty awesome. I spent more, but I got more.

My problem with 1and1 is that when you go through the cancellation process, you're sent to a page that has a section for you to print out, sign and fax back to them. The fax number on that page is no longer in service. I contacted them about it. The tech guy gave me the main fax number. I faxed the signed page to the main fax number, and somehow they couldn't find it, so the account wasn't officially cancelled. They sent me a series of utterly clueless responses to my emails trying to resolve the situation (things like, "We've found your fax. Please resend it." [I kid you not]), I told them what I had done, to work it out, and the account was finally cancelled. I thought it was an isolated incident.

I migrated one of my clients over to my new hosting, and we tried to cancel her account. This was several weeks after I had done the same thing. Same out-of-service fax number, so I faxed it to the main number. I sent them an email the next day to make sure they received it. They hadn't, but they said they'd look for it. Twelve days later, the account still hadn't been cancelled because they said they hadn't received the fax! This is the main fax number I'm sending it to, and they haven't received it??? I pitched a bit of a fit, so they went ahead and cancelled it over the phone anyway.

If you decide to go with 1and1, think long and hard about what will happen when you cancel, because one day, you WILL cancel.

Thats interesting to read from someone who's hosted with 1and1. After continually seeing their MULTI-page ad in Maximum PC every month, its good to hear from someone who's dealt with them.

Another example that exposure and pretty graphics (as well as lofty promises) do not always add up to good hosting.
    OC Hosting, Inc.
    http://www.OChosting.com
    http://www.BuyCpanel.com
    http://www.BuyBarracuda.com

Their hosting was okay, and their tech support was okay. I really can't complain about that. But their control panel and FAQs were not that great.

Their hosting was great to me, but im cancelling my hosting (not domains) with them. Hopefully i dont have to fax, because i dont have a fax

You have to fax. You'll have to find a Kinko's or something.

BTW, good rule of thumb taught to me one a wiser person: Never have your domain name registration and hosting with the same provider, or you may find yourself trapped if you need to make changes to either.

BTW, good rule of thumb taught to me one a wiser person: Never have your domain name registration and hosting with the same provider, or you may find yourself trapped if you need to make changes to either.
    While this is true in some cases, it is not true in all cases.
    Just need to do your homework on a hosting provider but you dive in.
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

I was with 1&1, but when I tried to transfer my *.com domain to other host, and when my new registrar requested a transfer, neither I nor my new registrar did get any information from 1&1, no e-mail, no fax, nothing. Simply, there was no response by 1&1, and my domain is after 2-3 weeks simply hijacked!? Yes, it was about to expire (and that was a main reason for a transfer), but 1&1 prolong a domain on my name for a year automatically. But it should expired in 8months. I wrote and wrote but still have not anything: neither reply nor .com domain!?

So, think well thrice before you involve yourself with 1&1.

Their EMAIL tech support was very very slow. And sometimes they never get answered...
    Tsuki Hosting - Premium Web Hosting Solutions
    ● cPanel ● 99.9% Uptime ● Daily Backups ● Secure Servers ● Instant Setup
    http://www.tsukihosting.com/ - Lighting Fast Server Speeds with Excellent Support

Support Really matters as hell.. BtW, the procedure of cancellation is really frustrating. It sounds like they are trying to scare away clients from the idea of cancellation :-)

Originally posted by EH-Stevo
    Their hosting was great to me, but im cancelling my hosting (not domains) with them. Hopefully i dont have to fax, because i dont have a fax
    You can mail in the signed paper. I did not have a fax machine and when I contacted them, they said to mail it in. I did and received partital credit back on my credit card.

The hosting was just OK, but the cancelling was a real pain, They actually charged my credit card without my authorization or any advanced notice, and that's what started the cancel process.

They make it easy to join, but very hard to leave!
    pure PHP5 hosting from MoKanWebs
    Web Development by James Hendrix

Putting people in business on the Internet - since 1996

I mailed in my cancellation too. And the software that I bought (NetObjects Fusion) had to be returned as well. The "great deal" on software only lasts as long as you are a customer. In no way do you "own" that software. So if some poor unlucky sod discovers that they absolutely love NetObjects, they will have to pony up the $$$ to buy their own copy if they ever want to leave 1&1. My advice: don't bother paying one penny for any "great deal" on 1&1 software.

I emailed/called in my cancellation and they told me I had to fax/mail in my cancellation documents. I started the cancellation process around the 25th of the month (I think it was Feb.) I had until the 23rd of the next month (March) to do get that al done (which I did). However, on my next credit card statement I saw that 1&1 had charged me for a full 3 months, early in March. They knew that I was going to cancel (hadn't finalized it, but I'd started the process) and my understanding was that I was always charged on the 23rd. So I was confused by the charge. I just let it go, though (I had a very cheap plan), because I was so glad to be rid of them.

The panel at 1&1 isn't all that bad - presuming you're fairly new and not enjoyed CPanel or Plesk - but as stated, although the servers and network seems pretty solid, woe betide if you need e-mail support. Phone support is usually fine, though with most hosts that should be a pretty much last call, rather than default necessity.

Re: Heads up on cancelling a 1and1 account

Originally posted by clanmesa
    I had an account with 1and1 and decided that their control panel was not robust enough. Went to Matrix/Vortech, and that ended up a nightmare. I was invited to leave Vortech by their main tech guy. Happy to oblige. Now I'm with Autica/midPhase, and they've been virtually trouble-free. It's been pretty awesome. I spent more, but I got more.

Why bring us in to it, btw I never told you to leave as shown here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=383829

I listend to your idea about the phone system as shown in the post, customer can now hold for up to 60 sec the most out phone system will do. But thats a lot better than the 4 rings 12 sec.

I tried to listen and help you, so why bring us back in to another post to make us look bad.

I wish you luck with midphase and for "Shared Hosting" there plans look great but thats not what Matrixreseller.com is focused on, we are focused on reseller hosting. Maybe that was your issue along, not knowing what you wanted or signing up for. Since you went from a reseller hosting co. to 1and1 to midphase.

But I am sure we will see you back in a month or so with an issue with midphase or someone else. Have fun..

Originally posted by clanmesa

My problem with 1and1 is that when you go through the cancellation process, you're sent to a page that has a section for you to print out, sign and fax back to them.
    Hi,
    can you point me in the way of this form to print out please?
    I want to cancell also.
    I will go with resellerzoom.com - they seem to be great and i cant find any bad reviews!!

Tnx

Re: Re: Heads up on cancelling a 1and1 account

Originally posted by Vortech
    Why bring us in to it, btw I never told you to leave as shown here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=383829

But I am sure we will see you back in a month or so with an issue with midphase or someone else. Have fun..
    Yes, you did invite me to leave, but I don't care enough to look for the information. It's easy to pick and choose what you post to this group. I don't need to make up that I was invited to leave, but you have everything to lose if you did.

Actually, my account is with Autica, the reseller side of midPhase. They've been great. Their tech support -- phone support that always seems to be available almost immediately -- has been just wonderful, not that I've needed them much. And gosh, I've been with them for several months now! Not once have I felt compelled to complain about them on this forum. I highly recommend them. They haven't been perfect (who is?), but they've always been extremely responsive, even responding to email trouble tickets within an hour or so. When the server I was on went down repeatedly, they graciously moved me to another server and comped me a month's worht of service. They've never been less than absolutely professional and friendly to me. As a result, I've been quite generous about recommending them on the web development mailing lists I'm on.

I moved my client from shared hosting to my reseller hosting. That's why I encountered problems leaving 1and1 -- leaving shared hosting for reseller hosting. I did some research in this forum about who seemed to be best, and who seemed to be worst.

Your responses to my posts easily show what I was dealing with at the time. What you're dealing with in me is Marketing 101: A happy customer will tend to tell 5 of their friends of their great experience; an unhappy customer will tend to tell 20 of their friends of their terrible experience. I was unhappy. The solution is to drop your defensiveness and concentrate on you and your associates giving the best customer service possible, always seeking ways to give BETTER customer service. Arguing with me is not helping your cause. I'm the customer, you're the service provider. The downside of running a service business especially is that when you screw up, people are likely to be vocal about it, and the best thing for the service provider to do is be nothing less than gracious. Pushing back like this makes you, the service provider, look bad to anyone here looking to research hosting companies.

Let's just leave this at "We're done with each other."

Never mind.