Is there no such thing as good "Free Hosting"?

My son has a few hobby websites that he's had hosted free for a few years at some no-name-brand co-located tiny host in NY. Bandwidth=tiny. But the lack of cpanel type control is getting old, and he needs to go somewhere better. The sites are about art and philosophy.

I've looked around, but there seems to be no free lunch in this world. Free hosts seem to come with so many strings attached, like ads or other restrictions, that perhaps the concept of a good free host should be forever forgotten.

Any opinions?
      0 Not allowed!

there are *tons* of hosts out there that cost $5 to $10 a year that have an excellent setup. Maybe consider going for an "almost free" host
      0 Not allowed!

Greetings:

Maybe your son could set up his own hosting company that offers free hosting so he has free hosting.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile
      0 Not allowed!

The sad truth is that anything in life would come with an associated cost element in it. Servers cost monthly, bandwidth cost money and so on. As much as it is nice to live on love and fresh air but everything else would involved some form of payment.

There is no such thing as Free Hosting, the person providing the 'free' hosting would still have costs to pay and the only way they could recoup the cost of covering the cost of advertisement is by setting limits and placing advertisement all over in the hope that all that they do would at least be sufficient to pay for providing the service. So instead of you paying for it, your visitors would pay on your behalf through clicking through advertisement.

Until the day when the world decides to drop the concept of money, the truely free option with no strings attached would not be happening. Someone would indeed need to pay for the cost somewhere.
      0 Not allowed!

Many paid providers here would like you to believe there are no free providers without advertisements.

eddy2099 has it correct. There is no such thing as free webhosting with no strings attached. Even free webhosting providers have to pay the bills.

In 2002 or thereabouts someone came up with the idea of free webhosting without forced advertisements in exchange for forced clicking on banners. They were distanthost.com. (Now closed.) My point is just that there are many types of free providers out there today and you just need to look to find them.

http://www.freewht.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18
    http://freewebspace.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32
    http://www.free-webhosts.com/search-...?ORDER=17&CO=1

The above links are some of the best resources around for find the free provider that matches what you need.

Good luck!
      0 Not allowed!

i really love xoopiter! i use it for our backup site in case if we lose power somewhere! there is a guy here named jeff, i think he is the owner... i dont recall his screen name maybe xoopiter-jeff?
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!
      0 Not allowed!

if he mows 1 lawn a month for 3 months in the summer then he could have enough money for 9 months of some excellent paid hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by LaurenStephens.com
    i really love xoopiter! i use it for our backup site in case if we lose power somewhere! there is a guy here named jeff, i think he is the owner... i dont recall his screen name maybe xoopiter-jeff?
    Xoopiter is likely very reliable as Jeff seems to know what he is doing but, the website is powered by xPanel and not cPanel as requested by the thread starter.

Anyway free webhosting dicussions should be taken to www.freewebhostingtalk.com instead of here.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Is there no such thing as good "Free Hosting"?

Originally posted by Desert Rat

I've looked around, but there seems to be no free lunch in this world. Free hosts seem to come with so many strings attached, like ads or other restrictions, that perhaps the concept of a good free host should be forever forgotten.

Any opinions?
    Yes, and here it is:

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Please relay this message to your son.
    Figly Media
    Plesk 9.2.1 Shared Linux Hosting
    PHP 5.2.9, MySQL, PostgreSQL & more!
    http://www.figly.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by omgwtfbbq
    there are *tons* of hosts out there that cost $5 to $10 a year that have an excellent setup. Maybe consider going for an "almost free" host
    I would say that there are no good hosts that cost $5-10 a year, because it costs a lot more than that to run a web hosting company. Where are you finding these "super offers"?
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth
      0 Not allowed!

if the usage is very small and site is say static there can be hosts that meet your needs at $5 to $10 eg respected webdudes worldzone upgrade options

if its dynamic but use little resources you can check e-rice.net

if it is really not much big and is honestly about arts I can give you space which is really free , no ads but you get to use only the software I provide to upload what you write . well I cant give this to many and all. and it may take 1 to 2 weeks more for you to get as i am revising that software.
      0 Not allowed!

I am afraid these is no such thing as good "Free Hosting"

There are definitely alternatives out there though. Try looking around for a cheap host (cheap meant in price, not in quality or support) They are out there.
    Check out whreviews.com for any webhosting questions.
    http://lonephoto.com/forums
      0 Not allowed!

ive been with alot of bad free web hosts and maybe 2 good ones, my advice is to go for a cheap hosting solution
      0 Not allowed!

Yes there is such thing as good free hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by branchless
    Yes there is such thing as good free hosting.
    Do you care to elaborate? I've been reading all of your posts around here, you always say something and then don't give any reasoning. Do you have any experiences with free hosts that you would like to share?
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by alwaysconfused
    I am afraid these is no such thing as good "Free Hosting"
    I'm glad a later contribution of yours explains 'in your experience' which hardly means it isn't possible to find good, free, hosting.

I saw an earlier post which mentioned FreeWebHostingTalk and I guess it would be a better place for such discussion, given the apparent mindset (look at all the sigs showing hosting firm names... of course they'll be unwilling to admit getting 'good' and 'free' in the same sentence, if they might sell someone hosting!)

A search of the newsgroups using groups.google.com to look for posts in newsgroup alt.freewebhosting may well prove there are some advert-free hosting services with no ties. Search for posts about cPanel, in particular. No, I'm not Tina (saw a post in November 2004), and I'm only new at posting here, so won't give any URLs ...
      0 Not allowed!

Please. The time you spend searching the web for free hosting, reading reviews, the time spent competing for a place on that server, the amount of worry that the host might just dissapear, the constant downtime due to constant server moves. Why not just pay that few bucks and be done with it? You paid for your computer. You paid for your internet, you expect people to give theirs to you free?

Strange that people think free stuff ought to be good
    New site: www.talkutas.com
      0 Not allowed!

true.. free hosts have tp pay for server..

there are hosts that offer free hosting without ads if you participate in ther forums..guess your son is comfortable with that..
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com
      0 Not allowed!

Well there might be a good free hosting, if the host earns enough money from the Ads, and actually knows what he is doing.

People also usually offering Free Hosting to grab the public's attention and increase traffic, in hoping that they would be interested in the premium products; in other word to help promote their main products.
      0 Not allowed!

There are quite a few personal sites that offer some of their space and bandwidth for free. Maybe your son can apply to one of those sites? You can find a list of personal domains looking for hostees at pick-me.net
      0 Not allowed!

The thing here is that the term 'good' is a very vague terminology.

There is nothing as a definitive good or definitive bad, it all depends on what your expectation of the web hosting services which you pay nothing for. Some people may expect the free hosting account to rival that of the paid alternative and may be disappointed because of the rules and regulations and the used of banners. While others sign up for a free hosting expecting only what $0 would get you and with that, the experience would be pleasant. For most, it would be somewhere between the two but different people have different expectations and thus different impressions.

This coupled with the fact that there are numerous free web hosting provider out there, because they do not operate as one, different provider may provide different things and different experiences for their users.

Like I said earlier, a free hosting provider still has expenses to pay and by including banners and content restriction, they would be able to maximise returns to at least cover the cost of the services they provide. Someone has to foot the bill somewhere.

So if you are getting something for free, do not go with a lot of expectations or demands or else you will just be sorely disappointed.
      0 Not allowed!

You can't get everything for nothing.

The same way, you won't get anything decent for free, there is always a catch for you - adverts, pop-ups, hidden fees, restrictions. So much so, to save you the pain, just shell out a few quid and get a decent hosting account.

They don't actually cost the earth anymore, these days.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by jsw
    there is always a catch for you - adverts, pop-ups, hidden fees, restrictions.
    I'll give way on "restrictions" but there are hosting services with no demands for participating in forums, no pop-up or pop-under adverts, no banners or frames to mess with, and definitely no fees of any sort, but some restrictions like no MySQL dbs, or 250 MB of traffic a month rather than 5 GB. For some philosophy web site it may be fine.

Or, before paying an arm and leg, there's no harm in checking Ebay for a $5 deal (before the crowd wants my head on a stick, no, I have nothing for sale on Ebay, but know there are some good deals), and in terms of 'risk' the service can be every bit as good as with someone charging $5/month - can get a domain for maybe $4 and a couple of hosting deals and have change from $20 (compared with $50-60 paid to one hosting service, which might still get a server crash, or some other problem).

Still FreeWebHostingTalk is the preferred place. (or use the newsgroups, instead)....
      0 Not allowed!

Try searching on google for "Free cpanel hosting". There are many of these free hosts with forum posting required and some of them offer a very decent hosting service for personal websites like what your son requires. I've been with one such host for over a year now and although at first I was sceptical I am now a very happy customer/member. They don't put ads on your site and my site visitors can't tell that I am on a free host. All I have to do is be active in the forum and their forum is actually quite good. I was a newbie when I joined and since it's very focused on educating newbies to webdesign and programming I have learnt so much there. So I have not paid a cent and I've learnt enough to build a great site that gets the most traffic I've ever had (I've been at numerous different hosts before settling with this one).

There are probably more bad free hosts than good ones, but there still are good ones if you just look in the right places for them.
      0 Not allowed!

i would just go find a cheap host it will be alot better than a free host
      0 Not allowed!

Free 50MB webhostin

BizHat.com Free Hosting Directory
    50 MB Free Web Space
    Free hosting of your site
    Browser Based Upload
    Online Web Page Editing Tools
    No Ads

Free Web Hosting - Free Web Hosting with No Ads. 50 MB Web Space, 5 GB Monthly Transfer, FTP Access.
      0 Not allowed!

I've found some good free hosts over the years but none of them ever last, so really its not worth it unless your just messing around with a basic website design or something
      0 Not allowed!

o constant downtime due to constant server moves
    o you won't get anything decent for free
    o none of them ever last
    o to save you the pain, just shell out a few quid
    Some of the statements are scaremongering, misguided, or show a mindset that only paid-for hosting is worth having (perhaps because this forum is weighted towards paid-for hosting!).

I think Bruxelles made a good point about free hosting being the "lure" to sell their main products, yet assumes one has to have adverts to cover the costs.

Take a look at portland.co.uk - they have been around for several years and host hundreds of thousands of sites without adverts, links to the hosting firm, or forced forum participation.

The well-known affordablehost.com has also offered free hosting so it is far from the case that there have to be adverts, or that services offering free hosting don't last.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ultra.net
    Still FreeWebHostingTalk is the preferred place.
    Give it a try That is where the free hosts hang out.
      0 Not allowed!