Welcome to dotCanada

I am/was an AffordableHOST client. I just tried to access my domains....NOTHING THERE!!!!

I must say the technical support was very responsive and they are looking into it.

I can log into WHM and cPanel. WHM says 0 space used for each of my three domains. And my contact email addresses are not there. There is absolutly nothing in file maganer for all three domains.

I do back everything up every week. And I did a backup two days ago when I got the email that AffordableHOST was cancelling my PayPal account.

I have no idea how long I've been down.

Welcome to dotCanada

shait happens Ghij... at least support is there for you. Good luck!
    ACcomunica

maybe you can keep us updated here what happens

you may find some useful info at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...&pagenumber=11

and
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...70#post3035070

mahut,

I will keep this thread informed. Thanks for the links.

What's generally has dotCanada with the story?

Best Regards
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Originally posted by fcolor
    What's generally has dotCanada with the story?
    If you follow the links mahut posted, the threads are about dotCanada aquiring AffordableHOST's clients.

Looks like this is just bad luck for dotCanada. They just infomed me that it's a hardware issue. I'm weighing my options of waiting it out on the broken server, or they will move me to another server and I'll have to reload my site.

Though they ( affordablehost ) explicitly guarantee no back-ups and have said it clearly that backup is responsibility of clients ( compare : this : Redundant Backup Solutions - http://www.rochenhost.com/premium-ho...omain-hosting/ ) have you asked them whether they do have some old backups, which might help you . Whole site being wiped off happened before also with carme ( a server of affordablehost ) and clients had to restore from their own. At that time probably meaures were taken for broken servers and for better servers, but as they say nothing is guaranteed and truly nothing can be
    but one has no way to know whether the company with changed staffs are taking enough safeguards and can prevent similar happenings in future which can happen due to their fault

As you have your own backup thats good . Best of luck

It was my understanding that AffordableHOST did not restore data for individual accounts, but they will use their system backups to restore an entire server. I'm sure that's what will happen here.
    Last edited by Ghij; 04-22-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Keep us updated and if possible what was the time taken from data lost to data recovered.

i just moved to hostingzoom and am so much happier. quick support, they do backups (and will restore you for free even if it's your fault!), they are able to do things that AH never could do, are less expensive, have more features (such as urchin) and on and on.

i had a good run with AH for a couple of years. i liked tina, liked AH, but things just spiralled out of control in the last few months, support was getting bad, the joejob attack brought them to their knees, and now with the sale, there's no reason to stay, is there?

the beauty of cpanel hosting is that it makes it much easier to move from host to host. HZ will even move you if you ask them. that's service.

but unfortunately, you don't have a backup. garr... good luck!

frienship7,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll research HostingZoom. Do you know if anyone from HZ posts here on WHT?

By the way, I DO have two day old backups for my domains.

Thanks Again

yeah, i think vlad does.

oh the load on one of my servers at AH is up to 24.76 (1cpu), i guess that beats the 17 that was on the other one the other day. luckily all i need to do is catch the stray email that makes it to AH as opposed to HZ.
    Last edited by friendship7; 04-22-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Two and a half hours ago I asked if they could give me an approximate time they thought the server might be back up so I could decide if I would spend the time to rebuild on another server.

No answer. Not even, we don't know.

I wasn't going to post anymore about this except to say I'm back on line after everything was OK, but I think they at least could have acknowledged my question.

BTW, My sites are still off-line.

what domain registrar and hosting companies did you use?

i know i'm in the minority here, complaining about AH, but a similar thing happened once before. i registered a domain with them when i first opened a server there. when i had to renew, i found out that they had sold the service to another company. this company had locked my domain and wouldn't let me touch it because it was expiring in a month. i had to register with them and of course they wanted something like $40 or something plus a late fee. i did some research on the company that took over the domain hosting and found out that the owner is considered a con artist by many. if anybody's really interested, i guess i could dig out that info, i think i have it somewhere.

here's a post, NOT BY ME, but by someone else who had problems with e7domains:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...7a5a6a2ca6e97c

here's another, again not me... there are plenty of such hits if you google e7domains

http://www.extenuation.net/log/archi...ive-032004.htm

i still remember this with bitterness. my site was down for a week thanks to e7domains.

please don't misunderstand me! i'm not saying that AH or dotcanada are bad people, by no means, only that trouble seems to dog affordablehost's sales. consider it irony or bad luck or what you will.
    Last edited by friendship7; 04-22-2005 at 03:54 PM.

i know i'm in the minority here, complaining about AH
    No you are not, though the issues may be different.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...&pagenumber=11
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...70#post3035070

just ask blue27, he thinks i'm a jerk. everything is a ok.

Originally posted by friendship7
    just ask blue27, he thinks i'm a jerk. everything is a ok.
    No, not everything.
    What I do know though is that you had one bad experience in two years with your host and now you are sulking.

You came here looking for the impossible and when you were told the truth you got angry.

Now that you didn't get your way you are blaming everyone else, or perhaps just me for your failure.

I will state what I did in another thread. If you depend on your email for such a large amount of money then why would you go for a cheap reseller hosting account?

Your bad business decision cost you money. It's not my fault. Get over it.

This thread is getting a little off topic......

My sites still are not up. I can log into cPanel, but there's still no files. I think we're getting close.

wait, a second, you're the one who sought out my post on the forum about deimos to attack me and to say

>They don't seem to be in much trouble to me.

and why do you on the one hand call them cheap and then on the other hand defend them? it's contradictory.

i really don't have a beef with AH anymore. i'm sad, actually, because they were a good host for a long time and the last couple of weeks have been painful to watch. i hope they recover. otherwise there will be a lot of very unhappy people out there .

on the other hand, you don't read my posts, you don't read other posts, you have no evidence that everything is ok. since you are so smart, earlier i asked you point blank for recommendations for better solutions and you couldn't give me any.

when i look at your sig, i wonder if this canadian host you advertize is yours and/or if you have any connection to the canadan host that runs affordablehost. it would really scare me if you own or work at any company that deals with customers.

First of all, I read most posts in the main forum and the lounge. I didn't "seek you out".

Secondly, how is it contradictory to call them cheap and then defend them? For 90+ percent of hosting needs they would be just fine, but for someone who claims to have lost 5k+ in a short downtime no share hosting is appropriate.

You asked for recommendations but you don't want to hear the answer. If your doing this kind of business on the internet you need to pay for it. ie: dedicated server.

I have no affiliation with Affordable Host or the Canadian host who purchased them. These are my opinions and my opinions alone.

Since you are not a customer you really have no idea how we may deal with them now do you?

friendship7 and blue27,

You should take your little feud someplace else. This thread is about dotCanada took over AffordableHOST, and now an immediate problem.

Thanks

Sorry Ghij. Right you are.
    Let's get back on track and see if there is a solution to your problem.

Ghij , I am sorry if I am missing something - since it is taking ** so long ** to get things back into shape and since you *do* have the backups , have you asked/can you ask them to create your a/c fresly on a relatively problem free hardware so that you can yourself upload the backups there and things can be up and running ?

I posted the link before also, if backup is a serious issue you may consider reading this for comparison
    http://www.rochenhost.com/premium-hosting/
    and this
    http://www.rochenhost.com/premium-ho...omain-hosting/ ( the para on redundant backup solution )

ghij, what is their ( AH's ) live chat saying on the issue ?
    Last edited by mahut; 04-22-2005 at 08:28 PM.

Hello mahut,

AH chat room is closed.

AffordableHOST will not reply to any of my inquiries. It's been at least 12 hours now. I'm only asking for updates every four hours or so. The last time they communicated anything to me was 6 hours ago, and I had to open another ticket to get their attention. At that time they said 30 - 60 minutes.

When I ask questions by posting to the open ticket, they never get acknowledged, let alone answered. About two hours ago I tried my new ticket trick, but they're on to me. I don't know why can't they take a few minutes and reply to my latest inquiry.

If they would have a conversation with me I would find out if moving to another server is the answer for me. I was too busy this morning to do it. This afternoon they told me 30 - 60 minutes. Then no contact.

I realize things happen, but 12 hours and practically no information. I hate to say this and start comparing, but I *know* Tina would at least let us know what was going on.

Maybe my sites will be online tomorrow morning when I wake up.

Tina has changed places but by some strange rules you cannot, I mean if we were using services by Tina the same service is available but not for us

strange "rules",which do not even need mentioning in TOS/AUP, but rules does change by order of the law but who has the money to fight ?

If you have backups you may consider http://www.rochenhost.com/premium-hosting/
    comparable prices .... or some other good hosts
    if what is happening is "morning shows the day"

Originally posted by mahut
    Tina has changed places but by some strange rules you cannot, I mean if we were using services by Tina the same service is available but not for us

strange "rules",which do not even need mentioning in TOS/AUP, but rules does change by order of the law but who has the money to fight ?

Yes, strange rules like a legally binding Non-compete agreement.

Sorry, but maybe you should get over it

Umm there is no way you would be able to fight this in court. The agreement wasn't signed by you, but was signed between Tina and dotcanada. And even if there wasn't any agreement in place Tina would have every right not to accept you as a customer.
    Last edited by macdonaldp; 04-22-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Originally posted by Ghij
    Hello mahut,

AH chat room is closed.

AffordableHOST will not reply to any of my inquiries. It's been at least 12 hours now. I'm only asking for updates every four hours or so. The last time they communicated anything to me was 6 hours ago, and I had to open another ticket to get their attention. At that time they said 30 - 60 minutes.

When I ask questions by posting to the open ticket, they never get acknowledged, let alone answered. About two hours ago I tried my new ticket trick, but they're on to me. I don't know why can't they take a few minutes and reply to my latest inquiry.

If they would have a conversation with me I would find out if moving to another server is the answer for me. I was too busy this morning to do it. This afternoon they told me 30 - 60 minutes. Then no contact.

I realize things happen, but 12 hours and practically no information. I hate to say this and start comparing, but I *know* Tina would at least let us know what was going on.

Maybe my sites will be online tomorrow morning when I wake up.
    Hi,

The chat room is open and has been open all day.

We have been working on correcting the situation and in a ticket of yours, we explained that the tickets will be getting less of our time as we resolved the problem. At that time we explained that the chat was online. Duplicate tickets don't speed things up. We are working as fast as we can.

Thanks for listening,
    .: Richard

LOL - anyone can fight anything in the court - who wins or loses is a different issue. "Freedom" is the catchword - I can join whomever I want , anyone ( and Tina ) too can refuse me on any ground

over years of human civilization, many "strange" and unruly rules have been forced to be descent and ruly - there has been long battles, but yes, who am I and what else can I do except "talk" ?

So I get over with it, but neither of the companies will get over with the bad reputation they got becoz of it but that hardly matters I guess so long as the cashbox keeps ringing
    ( btw , surpass have you read a book called Animal Farm ? )
    Surpass, thanks anyway , let us not spoil ghiz's post -

ghiz, keep us updated , and a bunch are considering moving out of this dotcanada-affordablehost-axishost complex to some equally good or better hosts
    some are watching what they do to your case

hoping for the best

Please don't hijack Ghij's thread with the non-complete discussion.

It was discussed to death yesterday. Tina said "case-closed". A mod closed the ticket. Not everyone will agree.

Thanks for listening,

Lightspeed,

Thanks for getting the thread back on topic.

I just tried the chat room about an hour ago and it said it closed. I'll try again.

And now my DSL just went south, for about a half hour, but obviously it's back.

Is it unreasonable for me to want to know a little bit about what's going on? I know you said tickets would get less attention, but does that mean no attention? I'm keeping a sane head about this.

I just typed in a little rant but deleted it.

Please just let me know what's going on so I can decide if want to move to another server. I haven't been able to make that decision all day because I've been ignored. There I go again ranting. Sorry.

Please don't tell me it's my fault because I didn't go to the chat room. It didn't used to be up and I didn't know it was now working until mahut suggested I try it.

Please update my ticket with something.

Fair enough.

I just tried, chat room still closed.

Ghij....their chat is open here http://irc.webhosthelpdesk.com Good luck

Ghij, what about asking your a/c to be set up on *another* server and you uploading your backup files there unless of course you want a better host with better redundant backups ?

AH site contains many links which are not working and same stuff eg chat pointing to different links ( probably part of some agreement ) which seems not very professional on part of either parties ( who sold and who bought ) particularly when the site is a few pages ( how many days it take to update ? )

Ghiz, also if you have access to cpanel have you access to file manager ? Then you can upload the files yourself and ask them to take to another server which has lesser chances of breaking and better chances of getting fixed faster if it breaks.
    Last edited by mahut; 04-22-2005 at 11:07 PM.

That was the problem. I followed the link on the AH home page.

Thanks cdnmama.

Thanks mahut but I'm done for the night. I'll see where we are in the morning.

Well, my sites are back up, but I don't know when they came up.

I feel bad for dotCanada, having something like this happen days after they bought AffordableHOST. After chatting a little and getting a better feel for what happened, I can see why tickets were not a top proirity. But that doesn't change how I feel about having no information, I just understand.

All I will say is two things:

1.) I'm glad I had two day old backups, I needed them.
    2.) I had to tweek things on the sites, like some directory attributes, etc. I'm just glad I only have three sites to worry about.