Thread: Adwords help..

Adwords help..

My CPC is a bit over than the norm for my keywords its about $5 while the actual cost seems to be about 2.50 for the ones ive chosen... also my cost per day is $7 as recommended by google optimizer.... however im not getting any clicks yet? my ad is very specific to what I do and the keywords ive chosen are pretty specific ... i dont want to use a more general term because i dont want to break my budget just yet .... what am i doing wrong... adwords is more confusing than i thought.

Re: Adwords help..

Originally posted by angelic81
    My CPC is a bit over than the norm for my keywords its about $5 while the actual cost seems to be about 2.50 for the ones ive chosen... also my cost per day is $7 as recommended by google optimizer.... however im not getting any clicks yet? my ad is very specific to what I do and the keywords ive chosen are pretty specific ... i dont want to use a more general term because i dont want to break my budget just yet .... what am i doing wrong... adwords is more confusing than i thought.
    The "predictor" thing on Google is generally not very reliable.

I can't know for sure if your keyword gets a lot of traffic. I think you have the right idea to use [exact match] keywords. Think of as many combinations as you can for that keyword. If the keyword you're exact matching on is semi-obscure then you probably won't get a lot of clicks.

If you're paying that much for a keyword, make sure you are measuring Return-on-Investment and know how it converts to see if it's worth it.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

What is the number of searches done in google for each of your keywords?

Re: Adwords help..

Originally posted by angelic81
    My CPC is a bit over than the norm for my keywords its about $5 while the actual cost seems to be about 2.50 for the ones ive chosen... also my cost per day is $7 as recommended by google optimizer....
    Well... look at the math. If you're paying $2.50 a click with a $7 daily budget, how many clicks could you get without going over the budget? Two to three. So, how many times will Google even display your ad? Check that in your AdWords stats; most likely few people are even being given the opportunity to click on your ad.

It seems pretty clear that you need to increase your daily budget significantly if you're bidding $5 per click.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

sometimes the key with getting your ads displayed is as JayC mentioned upping your budget.

I have a local directory website which has a $500 daily budget set, I know well and true that is never going to be used, but by doing this my ads are always going to be displayed.

Of course by doing this monitoring the campaign is the key

you never know.. one of my keyword phrases may suddenly get a spike in traffic because of something on TV related about that query?

Would depend on industry type and the research conducted on the traffic analysis if you could do this..

Originally posted by nuthin
    sometimes the key with getting your ads displayed is as JayC mentioned upping your budget.

I have a local directory website which has a $500 daily budget set, I know well and true that is never going to be used, but by doing this my ads are always going to be displayed.
    Interesting stuff! How would someone go about estimating the "total potential" money spent per day without first increasing to a budget like that?

Would you simply input the $500 and trust the Google feedback in regards to forecasted cpc and total clicks!?

As well, I guess you still get to control the CPC so things couldn't get too crazy?!

lol, sorry if I made no sense... simply thinking out loud

My experience is that Google is pretty good at predicting what your budget should be based on your CPC. I've never exceeded Google's budget estimate for an exact match keyword that has a good number of clicks on it. Google obviously sometimes estimates .1 clicks per day for some keywords so I always keep my budget for each Ad Group larger than the predicted amount but if Google estimates $100/day I don't make my bid $1000/day just to let the Google system know I'm really serious about getting clicks. Your position is based on CPC and CTR, the amount you budget does not enter into the equation until your budget is exceeded and Google stops displaying your ads.

Also, it might be noted that there are days when you will bid $5 for a keyword and spend $.85/click and be near the top and then there are days when you will spend $5/click and be near the bottom of the 1st page or even on the 2nd page. All depends on the flux of who's coming in and out of the system. Google estimates tend to be pretty conservative and even on the days when I paid top price for clicks and had lots of clicks I still didn't exceed Google's estimate and have my ads turned off until the next day.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by DevilDog
    Your position is based on CPC and CTR, the amount you budget does not enter into the equation until your budget is exceeded and Google stops displaying your ads.
    Your daily budget doesn't enter into the ranking equation, that's correct. But the relationship between your per-click bid and the daily budget determines how often your ads are displayed. If those two values are set to allow only two or three clicks per day (as is the case in the example being discussed here) and you're bidding on a fairly popular term, only a small percentage of the people who search that term will see your ad and even be offered the opportunity to click on it. Even with less popular keyword terms, if you're only budgeting two clicks per day your ad will rarely appear.

By checking those stats, angelic81 can confirm whether that's the problem: Google is displaying the ads very rarely, because displaying them often would probably result in going overbudget. If that's the case, it could easily take a few days before anyone clicks on it. Of course, the problem also could be, since the keywords in use are "pretty specific," that there are almost no qualifying searches -- with the same result: few people are seeing the ads.

Agreed. I wasn't completely disagreeing with the idea. Google will position the ad where it "belongs" based on CTR and CPC but when it exceeds budget it will stop showing. I wasn't arguing that budget was unimportant but the Google system doesn't take into account that his budget is half what it should be so it will only show it half as much during the day to allow a uniform spend rate that will get him through a day; rather, it will show the add at normal rate and will expend the budget in half the day so that the remainder of the day it will stop showing it.

I think we're agreeing but I was just clarifying that the display rate is the same regardless of budget but that the funds might be expended sooner if the budget isn't high enough. I also suspected that he might not have set the budget the the Google predicted amount because I've found that to be fairly accurate.
    Rich

Originally posted by DevilDog
    the Google system doesn't take into account that his budget is half what it should be so it will only show it half as much during the day to allow a uniform spend rate that will get him through a day; rather, it will show the add at normal rate and will expend the budget in half the day so that the remainder of the day it will stop showing it.
    But the "normal rate" is unique for every ad and keyword combination; there's not a "normal rate" applied to all ads. It'scalculated for your ad, based on your bid amount, daily budget, account performance history, and how many times the keywords you're targeting are searched.

If your budget will only allow three clicks per day, the system will throttle how often the ad is run in an attempt to spread the impressions throughout the whole day -- the system will attempt to avoid, for example, having all of those clicks in the first half hour or so of the day.

This concept is mentioned a few times in the AdWords help pages, including here as point number 2: "If your daily budget is set lower than the recommended amount, we spread the delivery of your ad throughout the day in order to stay within your budget."

In this case the poster is saying that the budget is set at the recommended amount, but it's clearly not a rate that will allow the ad to be shown often since, again, it would only allow two or three clicks per day.

OK got it. I had missed that. Sorry, I was mistaken. Didn't realize the system throttled.

I knew the "normal rate" was unique for each ad and keyword combination. I just didn't know they would throttle it for setting a budget less than their prediction because their predictor is usually off by quite a bit and is very conservative.

Thanks for the link and the clarification.
    Rich