Question Gmail used as storage:: this legal??

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

Very interesting

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium.
    Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

izit illegal? i aint know nothing.... using it tho... :/

What does it say in their terms of service?

I am almost 100% it is against their TOS, but last I heard emailing yourself is legal

All you are doing in effect is emailing yourself an email with a file attached. Can't see how that could be against there policy.

I am thinking if you have files can they be accessed from another computer. I am assuming if I log on from another computer I can simply download the attachment. Now this would be very handy. I could store diagnostic programs and updates etc and then access them when I was on location.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    All you are doing in effect is emailing yourself a an email with a file attached. Can't see how that could be against there policy.

I am thinking if you have files can they be accessed from another computer. I am assuming if I log on from another computer I can simply download the attachment. Now this would be very handy. I could store diagnostic programs and updates etc and the access them when I was on location.

Doc
    uhh can't you just upload them to your own website and know for sure that they will be there and not violating any terms of service?

I really searched the terms but couldn't find anything other than them saying you could store 2 GB (and more when they had the space).
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by Rob83
    uhh can't you just upload them to your own website and know for sure that they will be there and not violating any terms of service?
    How do you then access your website on location with the clients computer. Apart from the fact I haven't got 2 gig of space laying around doing nothing on my website, where as I am currently am only using 11Mb at gmail, which includes a file I just uploaded. That leaves 2116 MB of empty space. Now I would be negligent if I just wasted that space. Google loves us and wants us to be happy.

Be Happy

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

How does it send e-mail? Is my gmail password being possibly sniffed out? Just a couple of questions.

Justin

Originally posted by portalplanet
    How does it send e-mail? Is my gmail password being possibly sniffed out? Just a couple of questions.

Justin
    It's just a file transfer program, similar to an FTP. When you first use it a pop up asks for the log in details. It appears to be quite secure.

Be Happy

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I'm happy, just a little paranoid!!

Justin

However the comment you made is abusive and or racist. You may prefer that the members of wht were 21 years or older and that there native tongue was English, unfortunately however this isn't the case and as you are well educated senior person you should be leading by example instead of belittling.

Be Happy

Doc
    How do you figure? It was hardly abusive, and definatly was not racist (I'd love to know where you got that impression, my point was very clear, he's typing as if he's in grade school).

I may be senior in several areas, though age certainly is not one of them, my point was simple and clear, this is a business forum, and people expect a certain level of professionalism to be upheld, this has nothing to do with abuse, or racism , it has to do with professionalism, and common sense.

If you want to find a general chat forum to talk about your day with your buddies, WHT probably isn't the best destination, as it's geared specifically in relation to webhosting, and thus, business.

Originally posted by porcupine
    How do you figure? It was hardly abusive, and definatly was not racist (I'd love to know where you got that impression, my point was very clear, he's typing as if he's in grade school).

I may be senior in several areas, though age certainly is not one of them, my point was simple and clear, this is a business forum, and people expect a certain level of professionalism to be upheld, this has nothing to do with abuse, or racism , it has to do with professionalism, and common sense.

If you want to find a general chat forum to talk about your day with your buddies, WHT probably isn't the best destination, as it's geared specifically in relation to webhosting, and thus, business.
    This is the lounge, where web hosting and business aren't the topics being discussed. Its just a place to talk about everything but web hosting and business, so I think you're mistaken.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Originally posted by BillNathan
    This is the lounge, where web hosting and business aren't the topics being discussed. Its just a place to talk about everything but web hosting and business, so I think you're mistaken.
    Perhaps, but does that mean that we throw proper grammar, spelling, and general professionalism to the wind? I'd like to think not.

Regardless of which, that certainly does not qualify my post as racist, or abusive, you're reaching a bit far on that one to say the least.

Originally posted by BillNathan
    That doesn't mean that people shouldn't use language correctly.

Hey! I'm paranoid! No one is bring that up!! I feel so used. Or is it because you're planning on doing something? Dang paranoid. I knew I shouldn't have bought that second noid.

Justin

Originally posted by portalplanet

Justin
    My thoughts exactly. It would be easy to code in a routine to send the user/pass where you want it.

How do you figure? It was hardly abusive, and definately was not racist (I'd love to know where you got that impression, my point was very clear, he's typing as if he's in grade school).

If you want to find a general chat forum to talk about your day with your buddies, WHT probably isn't the best destination, as it's geared specifically in relation to web hosting, and thus, business.
    Thank you for explaining to me the concept of these forums. Given that I am senior in years, have been here longer than you, am a business person in the Computer Industry, deal with difficult clients every day of the week and just happen to be the longest serving company in my area. I must be a very slow learner or extremely inept at communicating with people. I also must not be very intuitive as no matter how hard I try I am unable to accurate identify wht members age, location, mental ability, work history, native language, field of endeavour and life's experiences. Why I even have trouble identifying there gender and even though I have seen photo's of some members I still can't be certain.

Now let me explain my view of these forums. I believe the initial concept was to afford ordinary people that wanted to find out about web-hosts a chance to do so, and for people that had bad experiences with web-hosts a chance to communicate this, so that others wouldn't get caught in the same manner. Unfortunately that idea has evaporated and this has become purely an exercise in making money. This was a site for The People not for Web Hosts. Slowly more and more web-hosts and associated services started using this as a way to build there business. What all these would be millionaires forget is that without ordinary people then you don't have clients to fight for.

Not only did the concept slowly change but as new owners arrived there concept was different to the original one also, to them it is purely a vehicle to generate revenue.

I do hope you are following me so far or am I going to fast (that was an attempt at sarcastic humour).

Now to address you point about "general chat forum" once again you are misguided. The Lounge is a general chat forum and as I have no direct interest in co location, or web design or e-commerce or any of the other money making rip offs I tend to use the general chat area as do the biggest percentage of members.

Finally it is offensive to make comments such as "does your Mother ~~~~~" this is saying that the person is a child. If the member happens to be handicapped comments like this can be very hurtful. I personally thing this whole politically correct thing has got out of hand but that is how it is.

My recommendation.
    1. Apologize for the original comment.
    2. Think before engaging keyboard
    3. Don't assume you know the posters ability.

Be Happy

Doc
    Last edited by TheDoctor; 04-21-2005 at 10:42 PM.
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Perhaps, but does that mean that we throw proper grammar, spelling, and general professionalism to the wind? I'd like to think not.

Regardless of which, that certainly does not qualify my post as racist, or abusive, you're reaching a bit far on that one to say the least.
    Yes, because everyone is here to sell something.

I find it interesting that you bring up professionalism, however, apparently making posts which attack other members doesn't bother you.

I guess it's really my bad; I didn't realize there was a prerequisite of a B+ in English 12 to take part in the lounge.

Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.

This Gmail storage thing is not new. Somebody figuered out how to do this with linux a long time ago.
    Although it is nice to know that this is now possible in Windows.

www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I am supprised a mod hasnt picked this up and locked it or somthing as this thread is just going to keep going round in circles.

not everyone on WHT is here to sell somthing, and not everyone on WHT has there own biz web hosting or otherwise.

but then again i guess he didnt think about that before picking on that person did he?

and yes most hosts now adays are kids thats why their called kiddie hosts, whats wrong with that? your just picking on him/her cause of there age, i would say thats being discrimative - or how ever you spell it.

Blimy doc your the man, give em some dood i thought your post was great didnt realise you had it in you ....

Oh and to the bloke that asked why you dont use your web space to host the files, well not everyone has web space which probably comes as a complete and utter shock but tis true i tell you.....

I have just discovered a seious Flaw with using gmail for storage.

You can't upload a file larger than 10MB. I just tried to upload a 16MB file it got half way through then a sign popped up saying 'Gmail doesn't support files larger than 10MB at this stage"

I mean 10MB is tiny in this day and age. The virus defintion update is bigger than that.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I have just discovered a seious Flaw with using gmail for storage.

You can't upload a file larger than 10MB. I just tried to upload a 16MB file it got half way through then a sign popped up saying 'Gmail doesn't support files larger than 10MB at this stage"

I mean 10MB is tiny in this day and age. The virus defintion update is bigger than that.

Doc
    You could always archive the files (eg. tar) before uploading, which would enable you to split them into nice 9999 kb files.

You could always archive the files (eg. tar) before uploading, which would enable you to split them into nice 9999 kb files.
    True however it is a bit messy and time consuming. I was thinking to have several files stored there and depending on what was need at the clients home I could quickly and easily download the files as needed. It wouldn't be practical to then have to extract them. Oh well a good idea in theory just not in practise.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I'm not sure which method this original post uses (didn't check), but I do know there is a windows version that automatically splits and encrypts your files as they are uploaded.

True however it is a bit messy and time consuming. I was thinking to have several files stored there and depending on what was need at the clients home I could quickly and easily download the files as needed. It wouldn't be practical to then have to extract them. Oh well a good idea in theory just not in practise.

Doc
    You could always make them self-extractable (.exe's) also you know. It doesen't take that much time, and is overall more considerate (compressed files, using less of googles *free* space).

Originally posted by westcan
    I'm not sure which method this original post uses (didn't check), but I do know there is a windows version that automatically splits and encrypts your files as they are uploaded.
    I would be greatfull if you could check and let me know. I''ll even shout you a couple of beers at my local pub. PM me if that is ok with you.

regards Laurie
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

So far peer2mail is a very easy way for uploading the files.

gsplit by gdg software is very good for splitting files and then joining them. It is a click and go type of program. Had no trouble splitting 700MB file into 10MB piecs. When there downloaded you just click on disk1.exe and they are joined together.

I have been experementing with Direct Mail Pro which bypasses the ISP's mail server and send directly which I assume would make it quicker.

What is need is some type of program that would use FTP to upload to gmail. It is far to slow at the moment.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty