Looking for:

- Price: As cheap as possible
    - Setup: $0 is better, but not really a decisive factor
    - BW: 200GB/mo+
    - Processor: 1 (Duron/Celeron is ok)
    - Memory: 256MB+
    - Unmanaged (self managed?)
    - SSH access
    - Linux (Fedora, Conectiva, SuSE, CentOS, maybe others)
    - Free or cheap reboots
    - No need for any control panel
    - 1 IP address
    - 100% legal content, not IRC, Games, p2p or anything like that

I think you get what I need. VPS is no good, unfortunately.

I'm already considering ServerPronto, but having problems contacting them by e-mail. iPowerWeb is a no for me, since I had problem with them before.

Any other suggestions ?

I would say www.LayeredTech.com is your best destination, they offer %100 self managed solutions with cheap prices!.

How much BW you need?

I got a box with ts-host.com and it's fantastic

They had a deal on a shared 10Mbit port, giving you a mbit or two.

If you can live on 200GB of traffic, you can get a box with them for like $35.

Talk to sales ot the Tulip rep on here, and he'll work out something nice for ya

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Check out the offers section. There are lots of servers there that fit your specs.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Already did, Aaron, and found not a single one that I liked.
    Most of them are more than I need and, no matter how cheap, paying for something I don't need is still expensive.

You could check out Wholesaleinternet. I have a server with them and couldn't be happier, but I think they ran out of low end boxes a couple days after they posted their special.
    Justin Cassidy, Accentra Inc.
    www.faxmicro.com :: Your Internet Fax Solution
    www.tollfreeexpress.com :: Hosted PBX Solutions

Already contacted wholesale, asking about a custom configuration.

That is really my problem. I need something that fits exactly to my needs, which are actually my company's (small 2 owners/2 employees consulting).

We are located in Brazil, so currency rates hit us pretty heavy. That is why we can't have the luxury of paying for a single transistor more than needed.

Tkx webpros. Read about those on other threads. Also noticed some negative comments regarding serverpronto, regarding some of their IPs being listed on RBLs.

am a happy customer of http://www.dirtcheapwebservers.com . Their response time on your email is fast.
    SimpleDezign.Com Domain is For Sale

I would not remove ServerPronto from your list.

Look for my upcoming (in about a week - when I complete 30 days) ServerPronto review. After ironing out the initial wrinkles my server with them is doing great (3 weeks).

Indeed, a whole swath of ServerPronto's IP addresses can be found on SPEWS. That being said, I would strongly recommend anyone using SPEWS to stop using them. They blacklisted WHOLE /19 subnet for receiving one complaint! I requested my IP to be whitelisted and they said they don't care and won't do it - I need to talk to my ISP. Well I am the ISP, since I have my own dedicated server and I manage it. My follow up emails to SPEWS have not been answered at all.

Other blackholes - those that mark by IP address (the most important ones like SORBS and SPAMCOP) come clean.

My main problem with ServerPronto is not the RBL listing, but the fact they simply won't answer my e-mails.

If have even provided them with alternate e-mail addresses to contact me, giving them the benefit of the doubt they had problems contacting me. I simply refuse to believe they failed with ALL the address I provided.

I use 1and1.com for dedicated hosting. The service has been spectacular over the 6 months or so that I've been using it.

Scott Swezey
    TCL Fasteners, Inc.
    Automotive fasteners for collision shops.

Originally posted by morcego
    My main problem with ServerPronto is not the RBL listing, but the fact they simply won't answer my e-mails.
    Did you open a ticket? I have never had a problem with the answers when I used their ticket system. Granted, the response times are sub-prime (sometimes up to 12 hours), but for that price I cannot complain. No ticket/email of mine went unanswered.

On the other hand I never tried emailing them...

Nope. Since I'm not a client of theirs, I never tried the ticket system.

Only e-mail.

I would also recomend www.layeredtech.com . One of the best out there in my opinion.
    Custom Cloud Solutions - innoix.com

I'll be closing with Tulip (ts-host.com) in a few hours.

In case anyone is wondering, the main reasons I closed with them:
    1) They were recomended here
    2) They did all customizations I requested, with fair price changes due to that
    3) They ended up providing EXACTLY what I asked for (no more, no less)
    4) Ryan DiRocco did more than his jobs in putting up with my e-mails, always being helpful and answering promptly (do you ever sleep, Ryan ?)

I would also like to make an honourable mention to SagoNet. Unfortunately, their solution was more than I needed and, even tho their price was fair, paying for something I won't be using is not something I can do, since this server is for my company, and not personal. Also, it is important to mention, on the "going the extra mine" category, SagoNet did its best to get in touch with me. They were having problems sending me direct e-mail, but they managed to use WHT to PM me asking for an alternate e-mail address. Even tho I'm not buying from them, I would still recomend them based on what I've seen.

- WholesaleInternet didn't answer my e-mail (24 hours)
    - LayeredTech had some good offers, but again, more than I needed
    - I'm still waiting for an reply from ServerPronto. Maybe I'll get one in the next 10 months or so.