Ratio of customers joining / leaving ?

Hi,

We've never really monitored before the ratio of customer joining to leaving but started keeping records from the beginning of this year which have been quite enlightening.

We have an average of 3 new customers joining for every one leaving which is actually worse than we expected - if I'd have had to guess I'd have said we have at least 5 joining for each one leaving :-/

Does anyone else keep track of these kind of stats and what are your averages ?

Hi,

So far I know the customer retaining ratio of domain and hosting is quite low. I think this should be quite good if the ratio is 3:1 (3 join : 1 left).

See, my ratio would be messed up, because I've had quite a few customers sign up, after 3 months leave for a cheaper host, then come back in a 2 months saying "You're the best host ever, I never should have left!"

Darn good customer service reputation messing with ratios

It's absolutely normal. This is just a part of running a business... any business not just hosting. Customers will always leave, not necessarily because of the service you provide, but due to their own reasons such as "I don't have time anymore to update my site".

Take cellphone companies, a lot of people switching back and forth, huge competition. Tought market. Hosting ins't much different.

I would say our's is about 20:1. Maybe you could ask people when they leave why they are leaving and then do something about it to prevent more people leaving in the future.
    Steve

Originally posted by amish_geek
    See, my ratio would be messed up, because I've had quite a few customers sign up, after 3 months leave for a cheaper host, then come back in a 2 months saying "You're the best host ever, I never should have left!"

Darn good customer service reputation messing with ratios
    Yep, I've had the same problem. Sometimes people come back and say they tried 2-3 hosts and realized that "the grass isn't always greener on the other side".
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!