Arrow My mini-fast-review of DirectAdmin

Hello everyone,

We setup 2 new servers today for internal use, and I decided to test DirectAdmin in one of them.

Since DirectAdmin is now a paid control panel, I was assuming it had the features I am used to pay for using cPanel.

Oh man, how I was wrong
    The Admin interface is RIDICULOUS. So is the reseller interface (compared to cPanel).

I went back and ordered a cPanel license. God bless cPanel.net.

My advice:
    Do not use this. I did install this for myself but I bet that if someday I tell my customers to change from cPanel to this, they will leave the company for good.

Just one PLUS: easy to skin from what I read. Nothing more. A control panel with these features should be free, open source or something so it could be more developed.

I may have missed some cool features maybe, but it annoyed me so much in the beginning that I really had to pull the plug on it.
    Last edited by AF; 04-21-2005 at 06:43 AM.
    PenguinPower.eu :: 100% European Cloud-Based Web Hosting
    European Service means European Quality.
    Visit us today at https://www.penguinpower.eu!

I use it, in fact, if you look at the forum, many people uses Directadmin and the comments, most of them are very positive. Maybe you would like to give more details on the problems you face?

Originally posted by boonchuan
    I use it, in fact, if you look at the forum, many people uses Directadmin and the comments, most of them are very positive. Maybe you would like to give more details on the problems you face?
    Did not have any problems at all. I did not give it time to bring problems As soon as I have seen how it looked like and the features it had, I forgot about it.

Just think it is ridiculous, compared to cPanel in the user, reseller and admin interface.

Does not have 1/3 of WHM features. It sucks for production use. I would not feel confortable at all if I needed to give root access to all my employees.

But well... I bet 90% of DirectAdmin users are not even real companies. Just people trying to get some $ off the web hosting business.

With all due respect, do you take yourself seriously? Why make such absurd statements? Hosts that use DA are not real companies? You are a real host because you use Cpanel? I thought cpanel help create the whole Kiddie host industry. Laughable.

Originally posted by roccol
    With all due respect, do you take yourself seriously? Why make such absurd statements? Hosts that use DA are not real companies? You are a real host because you use Cpanel? I thought cpanel help create the whole Kiddie host industry. Laughable.
    I was refering to the price. Nothing else. A real company will try different software and select the better for their clients. Not just pick the cheapest control panel, combined with the cheapest billing system, and the cheapest server configuration.

If DirectAdmin was somehow good I would not say this of course, but I confirmed that it seems to be a cheap thing.

But this is just my opinion. I love cPanel, so I may not be the best person to give my opinion about this

However I highlight a cool feature of DirectAdmin. It is easy to skin. And that for me is a big big big plus. Branding is very important in this business.

PS: The "kiddie" hosts is not something that came with cPanel. It came with reseller plans

6. I disagree with the part about cPanel being hard to skin.

I started skinning the very first day I got my cPanel.
    It was a reseller account but my host back in 2002 created a symlink directory for me to work on my creation.
    Well, OK its easy to skin but to skin it well, you need some skills and practice, just like any other things in life.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

LMAO.

A Real Hosting company will choose what they deem is best for their clients and what they feel most comfortable with. The fact that DA is cheaper then Cpanel does not mean it is not a good control panel. Apache is Free does that make it bad? You are way off base on DA and frankly you don't really know what you are talking about.

Some Facts:

DA is stable, secure, very little bugs, good gui out of the box and light on server resources. It does not run as root. Updates do not break anything. It has a very exstensive API / Plugin system and good support community. It is completely independent of the OS and other software. What exactly does it not have? Fantastico? DA has Installatron which is better then Fantastico. BoxTrapper?
    DA is only 1.5 years since release and the main advantage it has over cpanel is that it is well coded unlike the jumble of scripts that is cpanel and is a more cohesive product.

If you want point and click sys administration, no doubt cpanel is hard to beat. I have a cpanel server for 2 years and frankly without RVSkin, I think cpanel is not that good, but I still think it is an amazing product. I like DA better and trust its performance more, price is not an issue. If you ask many they will tell you cpanel is a very unprofessional product. Would you like if a Hsphere host told you are not a real hosting company because you can not afford a superior Hsphere Cluster?

BTW, you have a right to your own opinion. That is why there choices for control panels. There's no need for talking rubbish.

BTW,
    "Mission Critical Hosting" and Cpanel is an oxymoron.
    Last edited by roccol; 04-21-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Originally posted by [email protected]
    I disagree with the part about cPanel being hard to skin.

I started skinning the very first day I got my cPanel.
    It was a reseller account but my host back in 2002 created a symlink directory for me to work on my creation.
    Well, OK its easy to skin but to skin it well, you need some skills and practice, just like any other things in life.
    Never said that.
    I created already 2 skins for cPanel and it was well easy.

Originally posted by roccol
    LMAO.

A Real Hosting company will choose what they deem is best for their clients and what they feel most comfortable with. The fact that DA is cheaper then Cpanel does not mean it is not a good control panel. Apache is Free does that make it bad? You are way off base on DA and frankly you don't really know what you are talking about.

Some Facts:

DA is stable, secure, very little bugs, good gui out of the box and light on server resources. It does not run as root. Updates do not break anything. It has a very exstensive API / Plugin system and good support community. It is completely independent of the OS and other software. What exactly does it not have? Fantastico? DA has Installatron which is better then Fantastico. BoxTrapper?
    DA is only 1.5 years since release and the main advantage it has over cpanel is that it is well coded unlike the jumble of scripts that is cpanel and is a more cohesive product.

If you want point and click sys administration, no doubt cpanel is hard to beat. I have a cpanel server for 2 years and frankly without RVSkin, I think cpanel is not that good, but I still think it is an amazing product. I like DA better and trust its performance more, price is not an issue. If you ask many they will tell you cpanel is a very unprofessional product. Would you like if a Hsphere host told you are not a real hosting company because you can not afford a superior Hsphere Cluster?

BTW, you have a right to your own opinion. That is why there choices for control panels. There's no need for talking rubbish.
    I do not like HSphere either
    I am not saying what you meant though. Just said it was used by some "kids", that could not afford a control panel in the past.

Calm down. Since you insist to say it is good, I will delay the cPanel install and check it out even more deeply.

I'm just having some fun. I don't mean anything by it. I don't waive flags for any company. I think most of the control panels today are pretty good, but none are close to perfect. I like Hsphere, Plesk Reloaded, Cpanel, DA. I don't like Ensim though. If DA could expand company size a little they would be a bigger player. They are off to the best start I have seen in a cp though. I say choose what you feel most comfortable with supporting. If it cpanel, then RVSkin is just a fabulous extension of cpanel. The skin is not so good looking, but the functionality is unbeatable. I wish they would do RVSkin for DA.

sjees what a nonsense....if you don't have any knowledge of linux, then don't start a hosting business, or, well, you can use cpanel....Anyone who can move and click can control that

"If you want point and click sys administration, no doubt cpanel is hard to beat."

Well said, cpanel has more features but to be quite frank half of them are features for what should be done in the shell.

Originally posted by sander815
    sjees what a nonsense....if you don't have any knowledge of linux, then don't start a hosting business, or, well, you can use cpanel....Anyone who can move and click can control that
    You are assuming that I do not have Linux knowledge sooner than you should.

I was a system administrator for a very long time..
    cPanel is just more convinient to use on some tasks. For example, to restart a service, to edit a DNS zone.

I prefer to edit a DNS Zone on WHM, then having to log into SSH and type: cd /etc/httpd/conf, pico httpd.conf, CTRL+W domain.com, Edit it and then CTRL+O, Yes.

Why do this, if I can do it from cPanel in 2 or 3 clicks?

Or to restart a service. I prefer to do it from WHM, than SSH. It saves you a lot of time on some minimal tasks (not to mention the /scripts bundled with it, that really save you even more time often). Also I like the idea of allowing some resellers to do these from WHM (saves me from giving them SSH Access).

Directadmin can edit DNS, seems you didnt look enough.

Restarting Services can also be done in Directadmin but if a servive needs to be started manually then it will usually mean you should be in the shell anyway looking for the error causing the problem.

Originally posted by AF
    You are assuming that I do not have Linux knowledge sooner than you should.

I was a system administrator for a very long time..
    cPanel is just more convinient to use on some tasks. For example, to restart a service, to edit a DNS zone.

I prefer to edit a DNS Zone on WHM, then having to log into SSH and type: cd /etc/httpd/conf, pico httpd.conf, CTRL+W domain.com, Edit it and then CTRL+O, Yes.

Why do this, if I can do it from cPanel in 2 or 3 clicks?

Or to restart a service. I prefer to do it from WHM, than SSH. It saves you a lot of time on some minimal tasks (not to mention the /scripts bundled with it, that really save you even more time often). Also I like the idea of allowing some resellers to do these from WHM (saves me from giving them SSH Access).
    Good news! If you actually bothered to take a good look at the admin interfrace you would see both options are avaiable!

AF, any other features DA is lacking?