Question Second Drive - how does it work...

Hi all.

I am close to filling up my main server drive on my dedicated server and will shortly be purchasing another drive as /home2 to host more content on it.

I was just wondering how this actually works?

Say I fill up drive 1 (/home) and then begin uploading more data to drive 2 (/home2), how would I be able to link this data up?

For example, say I have a file on drive 1 as follows...

www.apple.com/pictures.html

And then I want to create a new file on drive 2. Would it look something like this...

www.apple.com/home2/pages.html

Cheers - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

Filling a hard drive? How do you manage this? And the other ressources of your server (CPU RAM) are ok?
    .:. Enterprise SAN Consultant .:.

If you filled up a hard drive, you'd probably be pushing the server's resources to try and host more content. Second hard drives are usually used for server backups. I'd recommend getting another dedicated server.

But no, that's not how it would work. I think you'd would have to make a buy cPanel license and a new installation (if you're using cPanel, otherwise the control panel of your choice.) I'm not too experienced with this, since I've never tried to fill up 2 hard drives on the same server before, but maybe someone else here could explain it well. But it wouldn't be a directory of the public_html directory, so thats not how you would access files stored on it.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Re: Second Drive - how does it work...

Originally posted by dav
    Hi all.

I am close to filling up my main server drive on my dedicated server and will shortly be purchasing another drive as /home2 to host more content on it.

I was just wondering how this actually works?

Say I fill up drive 1 (/home) and then begin uploading more data to drive 2 (/home2), how would I be able to link this data up?

For example, say I have a file on drive 1 as follows...

www.apple.com/pictures.html

And then I want to create a new file on drive 2. Would it look something like this...

www.apple.com/home2/pages.html

Cheers - Dav
    Normally when you get a 2nd drive installed in a server, it's for new accounts only. Old accounts however will still load all the files and upload all new files to the same old drive. This is because the virtualhost in the httpd.conf file points to /home/username/. When you get the new drive installed all new accounts will point to /home2/username/.

There are ways to get around that, the most easiest would be to create folder on the new drive named like mysite. Then, on the old drive in your account directory create a folder named like /newdrive. Then symlink the two and you should be set. There's otherways, but that is about the easiest, and about the only one I can explain that would make sense to anyone other than myself.

Because of these limitations I feel it's somewhat of a bad practice to let drives get filled more than 60% before cutting off signups. I've copied accounts from other providers and been shocked at how full the drives are. I think I'd have a nervous breakdown once they reached 85%.

I cut off the sign-up when the HD reaches 10% - I have no server with more than 10 % used HD.
    .:. Enterprise SAN Consultant .:.

The main problem for you to do this will be linking the two drives as this forms totally two different root directories. The first one will be /home/apple and you are now looking for /home2/apple which is a bit problem. The opinion suggested by inogenius should be workable but I have not tried that ever but seems that it can be workable.

I have a tendency to post messages with difficult ideas - but hey, it keeps you lot in check.

Firstly, this is a private site and not a hosting site so there are no problems with sign-ups etc and overloading my server.

Secondly, the new drive will hold a new site on its own with its own domain which means the following...

Drive 1 will hold the following = www.apple.com
    Drive 2 will hold the following = www.banana.com

Is this easier and is it just a case of being able to set up a new account via WHM?

Cheers - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/