If your hard drive crashes, and it is permanantly damaged

What will be your steps to restore the server to working condition based on the method you use for backups?

How long would it take you to accomplish this and please state the backup method you are using (if you do off site or have a second hard drive inside the server)

What do you tell you customers about the data that cannot be recovered?

I would restore via automated methods when possible eg. directadmin reseller restore feature, and manual in all other causes such as config files. Length of time to recover I have no idea since it would depend on many factors, but I would expect within a 24 hour period.

I would tell customers the truth.
    Chris Collins
    Hostingfreak.net
    Directadmin Hosting in europe
    www.hostingfreak.net

Get the server rebuilt, OS installed, install the panel, copy backups onto the local machine, and restore.

As always, I strongly suggest using RAID drives, it's a very good extra to have, we run it on all of our machines, and it has saved us from major downtime, many many times.

I"m pretty similar, fix server, install ensim, restore backups from 2nd drive or offsite ftp and daily mysqldump. Sure it would mean 1/2 day of downtime but better than losing everything. My site and the sites on my box aren't mission critical mainly message boards etc.

One tip, do not rely on just a 2nd drive in the server, you never know what could happen to it when your DC is working on the server. There have been several threads from SM/Ev1, and others I"m sure, about problems like this. Always keep an offsite backup And at $0.50/gig of space it is a no brainer.

Bottom line is always have a plan, I get to test mine every year when I upgrade my server to a new one so far 4 servers later no major issues with above method.

Good Luck

So far i have never had a server crash and i think its fair to say it is my worst fear. I do offsite backups twice a week and have checked to make sure everything is backed up correctly. I chose against having my backups on a secondary drive because of the possibility of something besides just a hard drive crash being the problem.

Im not exactly sure what would come of it, and needless to say im not too anxious to know. But i know that i have been hosting customer sites for about three years now, its bound to happen at some point.

Longest i've ever had after a catastrophic failure (yes, even raid 5 will break on you, murphys law and all) was a few hours to restore from backup. And as long as you have all your customer data intact, theres no reason not to tell the truth.

Originally posted by nadtz
    Longest i've ever had after a catastrophic failure (yes, even raid 5 will break on you, murphys law and all) was a few hours to restore from backup. And as long as you have all your customer data intact, theres no reason not to tell the truth.
    I might be off on my Raid's, but Raid5 is meant to increase speed, not redundancy IIRC
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    I might be off on my Raid's, but Raid5 is meant to increase speed, not redundancy IIRC
    Raid5 is meant to increase both speed and redundancy. Every drive in Raid5 stores parity information, thus in case of one drive failing Raid5 is able to reconstruct that drive's data in a few hours.

By definition raid is about redundancy. (which is why raid 0 really isnt raid) raid 5 will generally increase read speeds, write speeds can be decent to miserable according to crontroller/drive etc etc.

http://www.acnc.com/04_00.html

pretty good for an overview of raid types, benefits and disadvantages.