ebay, buying a car?

if somone is selling a car on ebay and you go round there and find a fault with the car that you have won...are you still intitled not to hand over the money?

i mean its not a road worthy fault is just little minor things. I am just wondering if somone can be allowed to by law to walk away with out paying for the car?

many thanx.

When you bid, and win an auction on Ebay, its like agreeing to a legal contract, that you will buy the item. If there are problems with the car that wasn't described in the auction, you may be able to get out of it. But usually they say the car is being sold "as-is", if you agree to that, there isn't much you can do if you find a problem. If you can, you should check the car out before you bid on it. I understand this may not be possible...which is why it isn't a good idea to buy cars from Ebay.

Thanx for the heads up

My suggestion would be to try some sites like autotrader.com before going to ebay.. I have heard quite a few horror stories with Ebay car purchases and if anything I would find a car which is local and you can see before you actually buy it.

If I were a mechanic and looking for an old car to restore and I was not looking for a daily driver I would say ebay is a good place but I have heard stories of bad transmissions, differentials, missing radios, missing KEYS!!, scratches on 'mint' condition cars etc.

Originally posted by OKIHost
    My suggestion would be to try some sites like autotrader.com before going to ebay.. I have heard quite a few horror stories with Ebay car purchases and if anything I would find a car which is local and you can see before you actually buy it.

If I were a mechanic and looking for an old car to restore and I was not looking for a daily driver I would say ebay is a good place but I have heard stories of bad transmissions, differentials, missing radios, missing KEYS!!, scratches on 'mint' condition cars etc.
    thats all well and true though, but dont forget there are two sides to every story. ive been a member for ebay for a while and all my transactions have gone smoothly.

at the end of the day i think most ebay problems result to lack of communication between both parties really.

I would email the seller if you wanted to know. A friend of mine actually bid on a volvo and won (bid it out of boredem in my opinion). The seller said he would handle it like any car sale. My friend would be able to go down to maryland and inspect it. If he didn't like it, he didn't have to buy it.

It all depends on the seller. So email/talk to the seller before bidding on anything you would be spending tons of money on.

(btw.. he did go down and trade in his 94 2 door civic - 4k USD? -and got the volvo for around 15k)
    remy

I only buy stuff close enough for me to get myself or have delivered by the seller. And if the car don't look up to snuff in person hell no I ain't buying it. I've bought 2 cars and a motorcycle on Ebay, I've been happy with them all.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

never buy a car you didn't see before buying

you know in kuwait you're even allowed to take the car to some specialized workshop where they will check every single wingle thingie in the car and let you know if the car EVER had an accident before or not BEFORE BUYING
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi