* Ripper with testicular fortitude!

http://www.freewebs.com/web-hosting-services/

Let's see how long it takes for someone to recognize the origins of that design!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

haha, I guess since macromedia was bought they figure macromedia site will look like adobe soon!

I must be flow, what companies design is that? It rings a bell...it's not mediatemple....hummmm....I can't quite put my finger on it lol. Give me a clue?

Originally posted by JodoHost(Stephen)
    haha, I guess since macromedia was bought they figure macromedia site will look like adobe soon!
    Yeah, and that kind of logic is akin to saying if the Louvre decided to pack away the Mona lisa into their archives and now longer display her, it would suddenly be ok to paint forgeries and display them as the real thing!

People sometimes...I tell ya...
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Talking

Hey, that's the page template in Dreamweaver MX 2004!
    I even recognize the stylesheet. Do I get a prize?

I go to 3 other sites that have completely ripped Macromedia's design. Oh well.

Originally posted by tweak187
    Hey, that's the page template in Dreamweaver MX 2004!
    I even recognize the stylesheet. Do I get a prize?
    Huh, so does that mean it's an open season design for anyone to use? I'm a hand coder with no experience with non-unique templates, so DW templates are a little new to me...

Originally posted by Eiolon
    I go to 3 other sites that have completely ripped Macromedia's design. Oh well.
    They aren't ripped, they're from Dreamweaver...
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Originally posted by BillNathan
    They aren't ripped, they're from Dreamweaver...
    So again, are you guys saying Dreamweaver allows site owners to use the same design for their own sites that they use for their own? The design for www.macromedia.com is open for use by anyone who owns a copy of Dreamweaver?

I vote this thread gets the 'Subject of the year award!"

Ripper with testicular fortitude!

Originally posted by OKIHost
    I vote this thread gets the 'Subject of the year award!"

Ripper with testicular fortitude!
    Hahaha.. I though so too.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Originally posted by the_pm
    So again, are you guys saying Dreamweaver allows site owners to use the same design for their own sites that they use for their own? The design for www.macromedia.com is open for use by anyone who owns a copy of Dreamweaver?
    In Dreamweaver 2004, you can create your homepage with this template.

If macromedia have made their template available there, I would guess we are allowed to use it.

Forget the fact that the menus Macromedias, did anyone notice anything weird about this "Hosting" company selling hosting packages?

This site is hosted for free by FreeWebs.com. Get your own Free Website now!
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

It isn't selling hosting packages, per say, but rather linking to other sites that do. It's one giant advertisement really.

As weird as all of this is, the only thing that really concerns me is the use of the same design elements from Macromedia's site on another site, especially a commercial one. I went digging through my install of Dreamweaver (regular MX - I have a 2004 Pro license, but haven't bothered installing it yet), and I didn't find that template anywhere. I'm interested in hearing what they have to say about using their design commercially, so more insight, even instructions for where to find the template, would be most appreciated!

I'm not sure what the problem is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dw.jpg  

some of us don't use those templates, and did not realize it was one. Just very odd to me that Macromedia would give away their own site design. Would never expect that.

Originally posted by westcan
    I'm not sure what the problem is...
    Maybe there isn't a problem. But my installation of DW doesn't have those templates. Regardless, I'm still interested to find out whether that's open for commercial use or not. I would assume this is explcitly stated somewhere in DW, but again, lacking the installation with the template in it, I'll have a hard time finding it.

Originally posted by JodoHost(Stephen)
    some of us don't use those templates, and did not realize it was one. Just very odd to me that Macromedia would give away their own site design. Would never expect that.
    That is precisely what smells so funny about this!

Sorry, but give it up the_pm. My installation of Dreamweaver has that template too under CSS templates. You can use the templates for commerical use, why not? It's a commerical product and its purpose is for designing web pages for any use.

You are making it sound like Macromedia is giving away their site design. It may look similar but they are not even close to being "the same". Look a little closer and you'll see that Macromedia's entire top header is Flash. There is nothing suspicious about this.

It's probably more of a marketing sham. Like, "hey you can make a site just like Macromedia's by using Dreamweaver!"
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

My installation of Dreamweaver has that template too under CSS templates.
    Actually, my point was that I probably wasn't seeing those templates because my particular installation was a version older than the most current one. I should have made that clearer. I'm not doubting the existence of the template at all, just the fishiness around how it's being deployed.

As a designer, when I see elements that are common to more than one site, and one of those sites is a recognizable corporate entity, red flags go up and sirens sound. But if this is completely on the level, I'll fully and publicly retract my statements, offer my apologies and request that the thread be pulled so as not to reflect negatively on the site in question.

Or I'll request the thread be sanitized so the original URL is obfuscated and my blunders kept intact. I have no problems with my errors being kept public. If my fault is overzealously defending the legitimacy of my trade, so be it. I'll take the blame for getting it wrong just as quickly as I'll take the credit for getting it right.

Originally posted by Nich
    Sorry, but give it up the_pm. My installation of Dreamweaver has that template too under CSS templates. You can use the templates for commerical use, why not? It's a commerical product and its purpose is for designing web pages for any use.

You are making it sound like Macromedia is giving away their site design. It may look similar but they are not even close to being "the same". Look a little closer and you'll see that Macromedia's entire top header is Flash. There is nothing suspicious about this.

It's probably more of a marketing sham. Like, "hey you can make a site just like Macromedia's by using Dreamweaver!"
    I agree with Nich. If its available for use in DW, then obviously you'are allowed to use it.

ok who can guess which site this is 'based on'?

http://serverblitz.com/

<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Originally posted by ALGORYTHM
    ok who can guess which site this is 'based on'?

http://serverblitz.com/

It sort of looks like ThePlanet's website.

correct, your turn..
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.