Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mall Won't Allow Teens Without Parents

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e_st/mall_code

Well I guess it is their building they can make the rules for it.

It's only between 6-9:30PM

From 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, mall security guards now stand outside two entrances to make sure anyone under 16 has a parent or someone over 21 with them.
    Good! I'm glad. Wish they'd it to the malls here. We have 6 large malls in the area (all with 20 minute drive) and everytime I take a girl to the movies at night, the mall is packed with 13-15 year teenagers. We try to watch a movie, but they have to stop, turn the lights on and do a ticket check because of so many kids trying to get in w/o paying.

The Mall of America has had this rule for several years now. A majority of the disturbances at the mall prior to these rules were caused by unruley teens.

I know not all teens act this way, but going to the mall now has been much more pleasant since then.

All the kids running around the mall is the reason I try to avoid going there...
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

so they will ask them for I.D To make sure they over 16 ? lol

Originally posted by Bully
    so they will ask them for I.D To make sure they over 16 ? lol
    Yup to keep out the trouble makers I guess. The mall here that I know of does not get much teen trouble makers, but I am guessing in a big city like where Rob83 lives would have way more. I am still kinda shocked he has 6 malls.... .

Originally posted by Torith
    Yup to keep out the trouble makers I guess. The mall here that I know of does not get much teen trouble makers, but I am guessing in a big city like where Rob83 lives would have way more. I am still kinda shocked he has 6 malls.... .
    Yea it's great. We have Dadeland Mall, The Falls, Sunset Place, International Mall, Mall of Americas, Culter Ridge Mall, Dolphin Mall and another shopping area with a new movie theatre as well. Too bad they are all so exensive.

I've got one mall within 20 minutes, the next is 30, then after that there are like 3 that are 45 minutes away
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

One of the malls close to my house cut thier Saturday hours back and started closing at 7pm. Then they eventually made it 8pm but the main reason was the amount of loss from 7-9pm because of kids.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

A local supermarket is accross the road from a high school. At lunch they are packed with kids. The store wants the business but were having problems with shoplifting, rowdyness, loitering etc. They now have someone at the door collecting the high schooler's ID cards which they give back when they leave.

Originally posted by Teh_Winnar
    All the kids running around the mall is the reason I try to avoid going there...
    I usually try to avoid the mall because of the prices... I dont know, kids can be bad but i rather see them hang out at a mall that has security opposed to hanging out doing drugs, or getting into other negative social activites.

When I look at the stores inside the mall closest to me (http://www.valenciatowncenter.com/index.asp)... We have an arcade, food court, movie theatre, and plenty of stores that require young shoppers (hot topic, hello kitty store, Abercrombie & Fitch, Anchor Blue, Clairs, EB Games, etc... . These stores will probably suffer because some of the good kids might actually want to shop, probably without their parents. The mall should just hire more, or better security like my mall has done. Most of the security officers are actually off duty officers, not to mention the mall is accross the street from the Los Angeles Sheriffs Department.

Living in Southern California... lets just say its a shopping/mall mecca. I cant even count all the malls within 45 minutes from me.
    Last edited by case; 04-20-2005 at 10:28 AM.

Who would have ever thought we'd be the grumpy old men and women someday?

I've always thought hanging out at the mall was stupid even when I was a teen. I can't believe the number of parents who just trust their kids by themselves in a mall.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

Originally posted by DevilDog
    I've always thought hanging out at the mall was stupid even when I was a teen. I can't believe the number of parents who just trust their kids by themselves in a mall.
    Exactly, why aren't they home where they belong. The lack of good parenting these days disgusts me.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    Exactly, why aren't they home where they belong. The lack of good parenting these days disgusts me.
    Wait.... it is the lack of good parenting to let kids have fun and hang out with friends? I see what you are saying if the kids are getting in trouble and doing drugs, but if they are just hanging out with friends and not causing trouble how is that lack of good parenting?

I think it's a good idea. I usually goto the local mall which is fairly large once a month. There's usually large groups of kids who do nothing but hang out at the food court. Alot of the time ill see alot of the same kids there each month, "mall rats" you could say.

I worked in a c-store near a high school a few years back and we would have extra person during the lunch hour to make sure they didn't steal and destroy the place. The staff used to call the teenagers "Little Darlings!"
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

get them out of the malls and later do not complain about the bunch of parties near your house
    enjoy your flaming and hypocracy

Originally posted by mp3sattack
    get them out of the malls and later do not complain about the bunch of parties near your house
    I won't. I'll just call the cops.

wow, i've never heard of this

none of the malls i've ever been to has done this

so i dont know if this is a stupid question or not

but isnt this a bad business move?
    i know for sure if this happened in any malls near me a lot of my friends and i wouldnt go there anymore
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

What do the retaillers think about the security guards banning this huge group of disposable-income-spending customers?!?

I suspect the teen's money is just as good as grown-up money and if I had a store there I wouldn't be impressed.

There are at least 5 malls within 15-20 minutes of me (and probably an uncountable number within 45 minutes), and in each of them there are swarms of mostly 13-16 year-old teenagers. I'm not a typical teenager (at least I like to think I'm not ), and I don't go to the mall with friends to hang out there. So, when I see a group of kids acting up and causing trouble and making fun of employees, passers-by, and shoppers, I am disgusted by their sheer lack of respect and the fact that they are just so inconsiderate and full of themselves.

If I go to the mall, it's because I'm forced to. I don't go there because I want to run into peers, nor do I go to hang out or relax. In fact, relaxing at the mall is frankly oxymoronic.

Still, I can see this being a huge inconvenience for kids who are just looking for somewhere to hang out and have a good time with their friends after a stressful and long week at school. Having an adult there often turns "fun" into responsibility and restrained enjoyment.

Atleast around here, lots of teenagers go to the mall to hang out. They don't buy anything, but they'll spend hours there.

I personally think that's a bad idea, well in some cases it could be good aswell . I find it a bit strang they would do this because what could happen in a mall? well actually let me re-think that, many stuff could happen but chances are low. Depending in what country this law comes into play it will be a good idea

Originally posted by JTY
    They don't buy anything, but they'll spend hours there.
    People always say that, but I bet nearly every one of them arrives at the mall with at least $25 in their pockets and leaves with very little of it. (Or at least that's what I did as a teen. Kids still get allowances and buy junk food, music, and video games don't they?)

They can't all be busy running hosting companies.

Originally posted by sightz
    They can't all be busy running hosting companies.
    I wouldn't be so sure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast