NIGHTMARE with Yahoo and Melbourneit

Here is the jist..

We signed up with yahoo for a domain and webhosting package about 2 months ago. We did not touch the domain or site for about a month. When I went to change the nameservers so I could get started on publishing the site I found our domain in REDEMPTIONPERIOD.

Obviously there was a mistake made by someone and neither yahoo or melbourneit will help.

They just point fingers at each other. Leading me in circles.
    This has been going on for over a month!!

That is it in a nutshell.....Anyone have a clue?

oh God... I Had a similiar issue. Yahoo Domain service is scray, support is clueless especially with DNS issues .MelbourneIt won't touch your account with out a "registration key" which you never received since you used yahoo.

Your best bet is to demand that they transfer your domain to another registrar. I left Yahoo the second my domain became eligible for transfer.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

We have dealt with at least 50 situations like this in the last year. Good luck is all I can say because MelburneIT is a horrible company to deal with. They will do absolutely nothing to help the domain owner even if your name is on the domain. You will have to fight with Yahoo most likely.

yahoo has to give you a key to use at melbourneit, when you get it and be able to change the info, MOVE AWAY AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!! this is why i hate yahoo domain, because i had to deal with this yahoo/melbourneit stupidity and was about to lose a domain because of that >_<
    enjoy your flaming and hypocracy

Well Yahoo stated to release the key I had to cancel my hosting account with them.

SO I GLADLY DID!!!

I called them back to the key and they tell me I have to get the key from melbourneit..

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HAHAHAHA, try to deal with ICANN maybe?
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

You should have hosted it with hostway or godaddy
    Looking for Solid Hosting?
    1. State Hosting Features (Space, Bandwidth, Email, Server-Side)
    2. Pricing (How much per month?)
    Then will can decide your host.

Someone else set it up.

I would have never used yahoo...

I helped a customer with a Yahoo-domain DNS issue. If I remember, I had to get a key from Yahoo that allowed us to modify the DNS through Melbourneit.

I would contact the BBB if they keep giving you the run around because thats just absurd and an effective waste of time.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Is there not a way to access your key from within your hosting account control panel?
    There used to be although it was hidden pretty well.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

As far as I could find .. no..

Yahoo said they would only release the key to me if I canceled the account.

yahoo

should be called yahype
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

While they won't do anything about it, you may also want to submit your complaint with ICANN simply so they have the complaint on record.

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/regi...lem-report.cgi

yahoo HAS to give you the key, not melbourneit (i went throught that, so that's a fact)
    enjoy your flaming and hypocracy

This really very crappy. Now what you can do is that get back the domain from the redemption period but for this you will have to pay the redemption charges which are indeed high. Or wait for some time as once the domain enters the redemption period it takes around 60 days approx (I am not sure with MelbourneIT) for the domain to be released and available again for re-registration to the general public. Once the domain is released you can get the domain parked by any other host may be.

Also in the mean time you can approach BBB and ICANN in order to take appropiate action against Yahoo and MelbourneIT.

This is what potentially happens if: a) you let someone else get
    the name for you, and b) you get the domain thru a reseller for an
    actual registrar. Letter b, though, has at least 2 exceptions and
    probably a few more.

Originally posted by kris1351
    We have dealt with at least 50 situations like this in the last year. Good luck is all I can say because MelburneIT is a horrible company to deal with. They will do absolutely nothing to help the domain owner even if your name is on the domain. You will have to fight with Yahoo most likely.
    This is applicable if the domain was registered thru a reseller for
    an actual registrar. All registrars have legal agreements to refer
    the end user first to their reseller before stepping in.

You should send complaint against Yahoo to:

Santa Clara County District Attorney
    Consumer Protection Unit
    County Government Center, West Wing
    70 West Hedding Street
    San Jose, CA 95110
    Telephone: (408) 792-2880
    Fax: (408) 279-8742

A form is available at
    http://www.sccgov.org/scc/assets/doc...plaintform.pdf
    although I have found that a letter works.

I write this from experience. Within a few days of the complaint being received by Santa Clara DA's office, you will probably be hearing from someone at Yahoo offering to be actually helpful.

Did you pull the plug on the Yahoo hosting? That could be a complication if your whois-listed email was a Yahoo-hosted email address like [email protected] that used to forward to your Yahoo email address, but might not work anymore. You will need a functional email address listed in the whois to be able to approve changes, especially when you transfer to a good registrar. If [email protected] was destroyed, but your Yahoo address still works, you can probably get them to change the whois-listed email to the Yahoo address. One little downside is, if that Yahoo address was previously spam free, in the brief time it is in the whois the spammers will harvest it.

Here are a few links regarding yahoo:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/do...gement-24.html

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/mdom/mdom-08.html

http://www.webhostingratings.com/pla...s-Reviews.html

Apparently there was a time when you could obtain the register key from the yahoo control panel, but you can't anymore. Why did yahoo stop this?

Why make it so difficult for clients to have control over their domain registration? I actually like their hosting, it's reliable and I've been with them for years. I just want to transfer the registration.
    Last edited by nadezhdazz; 04-22-2005 at 03:21 AM.

If you don't already have it, here is the Yahoo address in Santa Clara County as provided by bbb.org:

Yahoo!
    701 First Ave
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1019
    Principal: Terry Semel, CEO
    Phone Number: (408) 349-3300

I had an incident like this today..

My client's domain is jcsdpd.org - shows my client as the registrant/admin contact, but current email address is previous webmaster's hosting account from Yahoo.

Yahoo and Melbourne declined to change the email address even if owner shows in the whois @ pir.org (while their emails are down for 4 days)

MelbourneIT and Yahoo hosting doesn't have a change of admin email address form (where the registrant can sign and fax necessary documents) like Network Solutions and every other registrars.

So how can these two companies get away with these? Registrar cannot help the client, and reseller Yahoo claims that the email address owns the name eventhough our clients shows as the owner.

???
    Last edited by webtechno; 09-21-2007 at 02:09 PM.

how did you get to buy your domain from yahoo in the first place anyways? Was that recommended to you by somebody?
    Let's talk custom servers and reseller plans

The previous employee/webmaster registered the name and signed up for Yahoo hosting (then left the school for good)

She did however left the domain name registrant/admin to the directors name, but did NOT change the registrant/admin contact email address (we have no access to)

-So it's true that MelbourneIT or Yahoo hosting doesn't have a change of admin form, where rightful owners can sign and request a change of email via fax?

???

well, you can always request a transfer to any other registrar/company to properly manage the whois and DNS. where do you host it? is this a college/school domain/website?

BluewaveHosted;4721342]well, you can always request a transfer to any other registrar/company to properly manage the whois and DNS. where do you host it?
    Bluewave, I don't think you understand the magnitude of this problem...

You cannot transfer a domain name OUT, if you don't control the registrant/admin contact email address.
    Last edited by webtechno; 09-21-2007 at 06:33 PM.

Unlocking/locking and Auth codes are all in the Yahoo control panel.

fewcoin

Quote Originally Posted by fewcoin View Post
    Unlocking/locking and Auth codes are all in the Yahoo control panel.

fewcoin
    We have NO access to previous webmaster's account from Yahoo.

Why don't you contact your former teacher for assistance? Actually the best course of action in cases like this is just find another domain to use instead and just forget about all hassle. The domain might drop after the redemption period expires. Just keep checking the whois.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by webtechno View Post
    Bluewave, I don't think you understand the magnitude of this problem...

You cannot transfer a domain name OUT, if you don't control the registrant/admin contact email address.

I never said to transfer it OUT, but what I meant is you can go to a new registrar and ask for the domain to be transferred to their administration. then ask that teacher to allow you access to the AUTH code or even call yahoo and explain and they will help. they have to. is the law.

Quote Originally Posted by mp3sattack View Post
    yahoo HAS to give you the key, not melbourneit (i went throught that, so that's a fact)
    Thank you.

Yahoo provided us the key (I find this weird, since registry is MelbourneIT)

It wasn't easy, but this is a fact.

Thank you with other comments.

Update: Client's emails are back using the same domain.

It's all that matters to us...

~w/t

I've posted here about my experience with Authorization Keys and Yahoo/MelbourneIT. A search would have brought up my post. It's possible, but difficult, and Yahoo tells you to do things that seem absolutely improbable (cancel my account, and then the transfer will work?), but in the end, it actually does work out.

It's not easy. It used to be worthwhile when it was possible to buy domains for several years at $2 per year.