Dual Xeon or Dual Opteron?

I've decided to purchase an Enterprise Dedicated server from Liquidweb. Looking on their website they offer two servers at this level and the only difference (that I can see) is the processor.

1. Dual Xeon 2.66ghz Hyperthreaded

2. Dual Opteron 242

I will be using the server primarily to run PHP and MySql applications.....Moodle LMS, Wordpress Blogs and phpBB discussion boards.

Is one of the processors better than the other for my use?

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Dual Xeon or Dual Opteron?

Originally posted by ekusteve
    I've decided to purchase an Enterprise Dedicated server from Liquidweb. Looking on their website they offer two servers at this level and the only difference (that I can see) is the processor.

1. Dual Xeon 2.66ghz Hyperthreaded

2. Dual Opteron 242

I will be using the server primarily to run PHP and MySql applications.....Moodle LMS, Wordpress Blogs and phpBB discussion boards.

Is one of the processors better than the other for my use?

Thanks,
    Steve
    duap opteron hands down
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

ditto. dual opteron. So you're getting your PSP?

Dual Opteron in my opinion is almost always preferable above any other spec and certainly would be in this case ;-)

Regards,
    Kris
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.

Opteron performs better on databases

Opteron imo but if I were you this isnt a cheap purchase why not do some google research (your best friend is always google) and do some comparisons. There should be some good reviews and benchmarks on both of those systems.
    eXeGaming : Professional Gaming Organization

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone....looks like Opteron is the way to go.

Also, I realize this is not cheap, but I'm not looking for cheap...I need a fully managed server that is reliable and with a company that I'm confident will be there tomorrow and who will answer my service requests. I've been using a shared host for a long time and have outgrown that....now I need a dedicated server.

I know there are several good companies out there and I've read about many good and not-so-good ones here. This company seems to have a consistent good reputation here on this discussion board....I did a lot of reading here and on other boards before narrowing my choice down to this particular provider.

This server is far more than I will need right now, but I do have good potential for growth over the next year and I want to make sure my current customers are happy....if not, then I have poor potential for growth.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone....

Steve

Opteron for sure.

Opteron without a doubt.
    Linux junkie | steward.io