Very New To This

I am starting a business. The business will get a lot of traffic and I need something dependable. I am setting up a small business directory. I need someone realiable that can handle the traffic that I am predicting. What do you recommend? I have seen so many name that I just know where to go.

My web designer told me to look for a host but I had no idea it would be like this. I asked about Yahoo and she quickly disagreed. So tell me, who is known for a solid site

What will be the requirements for your site. In regards to the space and the bandwidth. What is your budget with which you want to start off ??

True, how much data transfer are you predicting, and how much load do you reckon you'll put on a server? You may be looking at more than just shared hosting...

This is strange that this is the second post in less than 12 hours where a site owner said his web designer told him to go look for web hosting. If the web designer knows what he's looking for in a web host and has dealt with several companies, surely he should be able to give a recommendation. It just irks me that he's not providing better service to you and asking you to do all the research when he could at least make some recommendations if he's been around the web long enough to know how to design a site well.

What is the nature of the directory that you're going to be running and what do you mean that you'll have a lot of customers? How many businesses will be in your directory? Will they be text or graphic listings? What makes you think there will be a lot of traffic?

Not to pry but the more information you provide about the nature of the site, the easier it is to guage requirements.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I agree. I was shocked by that too. My business will be something similiar to the "yellow pages". I will have some customers with graphics and flash. The other customers may have just a simple text listing of the business and address. I will be using alot of flash and I will have over 4,000 listings

I'd start out with maybe a VPS or dedicated server, as it will be a lot more reliable than shared hosting, for a site with your needs. For a VPS check out PowerVPS.com or Servint, or for a dedicated check out LayeredTech.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

It sounds like your site can get large very fast. Some shared hosts will be able to handle that, and some most definitely will not. You will need to check with your host prior to signing up. Also check out and test support.

No one here can offer you anything direct because its against the rules.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Re: Very New To This

Originally posted by BusinessUSA
    I am starting a business. The business will get a lot of traffic and I need something dependable. I am setting up a small business directory. I need someone realiable that can handle the traffic that I am predicting. What do you recommend? I have seen so many name that I just know where to go.

My web designer told me to look for a host but I had no idea it would be like this. I asked about Yahoo and she quickly disagreed. So tell me, who is known for a solid site
    How do you predict your trafic?

Based on that answer, maybe we can help you chosing betweed dedicated (expensive) solution and shared hosting?
    Need reliable hosting?
    titaniumline.com

I already have over 1500 standing by. I know the number can within months. It is a sure thing

I already have over 1500 standing by. I know the number can within months. It is a sure thing
    Now I'm about to make bunch of assumptions and please fell free to correct me on any of them.

ok, so lets see:

1500 customers’ standing in line. x3 = 4500, let say 5000 customers in near future.

1 picture or flash animation, = 40kb at most. You can have bigger animations than this, but it will be loading slowly and you don't want that. Plus you said some of them will have text links, so I'm averaging out on 40kb.

Let say you list out maximum of 10 per page (you can do more, but it wouldn't be effective, search engines may ignore you, etc etc).

Let 1 page be another 40kb (which is a bit above the average I think).

1 page + 10 ads per page (you may have many text ads but we are counting the *heavy* items here) = 11*40 = 440kb per page at most. (You can actually limit your clients for the size, right? If you do any limiting, please tell us). Lets just assume 0.5 MB here.

(Going to two random pages at yellowpages.ca gives me 420 kb and 450kb so I assume I'm on the right track, of course they have very different layout and much more ads per page than my estimations)

So... a WILD guess:

5000 clients will give out their links to 100 people = 500,000 people.
    The average click through rate for untargeted advertisement is 0.75%-1.5% (straight from the spam kings). All of which equals 7,500 people.

You'll have 7,500 people visiting your site. Let say once a week. 3 pages each time.

So:
    4 times a month, 7,500 people, visit 3 pages, 0.5mb each.

=45 GB transfer (This is a GUESS, if you think you'll have this much traffic, you are wrong, the actual values will come waaay later).

Now we have our first guess let see.

45GB transfer.... You can go shared hosting you can go dedicated hosting.
    In my experience 45GB transfer is worth around $50-$60 a month on shared hosting. For another $50-$100 plus, you can find dedicated server which will do the same job, just you'll have a bit more maintenance headaches (actually, yes and no, if you have 5000 clients, you'll pay someone to maintain your server).

The decision is yours, if you want to pick a hosting provider here, look in these forums, and check out people's signatures. Few basic common sense rules:
    Stay away from CHEAP hosting.
    Stay away from fancy websites without much live content (text, text, text).
    Look for CPanel (your designer will be happy)

Good luck!
    Need reliable hosting?
    titaniumline.com

What is your budget BusinessUSA?

Up to $30/mo -- go Shared

Up to $60/mo -- go VPS

Up to $90/mo -- go Dedicated
    ACcomunica

I can't help but agree with what has been said about your designer.
    I don't know numbers but we get business from a few designers that are familiar with us and what we have compared to what they may need for a particular project. So they know if we would work for a particular customer of theirs or if they need to use someone else.
    I can't believe your designer doesn't know somebody.
    After all he built it and knows what type resources it will need and how much, and that can vary a LOT depending on how he built your site.
    Even if it was allowed nobody here can say if they could serve you or not with any specifics closer than something like "between $10 and $1,000 a month".

He's asking you to do almost the impossible. Like telling you to "Go buy a truck" and you don't know if you need a pick up or an 18 wheeler....if your going to be hauling lots of little boxes or a few big boxes on every trip, much less how many "trips" you will be making...

As I said, it can make a HUGE difference in the resources you need depending on how the site is written, literally the difference in whether you could do with a good "regular shared" host's upper end plans or if you needed a dedicated server and were still taxing it's ability.
    First thing I don't know from your post for example is "does your site use asp or php?"
    Right there is the difference in a Windows host as a requirement or leaving your OS options open.

Kind-of like a cart & horse thing. You haven't even said what you MUST have (OS, PHP, ASP, PERL, type database, amount of storage, etc) to know what type company can serve you. Once you get that part you can start shopping for bandwidth, but you still won't know what you need since depending on the programming 3 or 4 thousand visitors could use 2 or 3 times the bandwidth with some designs as opposed to others. It depends on how efficient the designer was. "aaneta" made some well-thought out assumptions but those could, as was said in that post, be WAY off.
    I wish you well but you need to push this guy for some specifics for what to shop for if he's going to make you do all the shopping.

So we can't even recommend something like "XYZ" is a solid company because if you need Windows & they only do Linux it would be a worthless recommendation.
    Last edited by DDT; 04-21-2005 at 12:10 PM.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Search the forums, browse the offers section. Compile a list of companies, then come back and ask for reviews on those companies. That will be a good start in finding a place for you to host you site.

Re: Very New To This

My web designer told me to look for a host

And your potential hosting guys told you to look for a new designer Sorry to observe, but this is quite ironic.

I'll have to agree with the rest here though. If the designer isn't skilled enough to PICK a hosting solution for his WORK, you should probably look into hiring a more experienced guy.
    Need reliable hosting?
    titaniumline.com

Again a webdesigner asking the client to look for a host by themselves. This is really getting far to common around.

Any how, it seems that the web-site that you will be running will have a pretty good traffic. It will be recommended to you to go with a VPS for a start and then later on swtich over the dedicated server as shared hosting will not stand the traffic requirement for your site.

I can't believe people are so quick to recommend VPS solutions if your budget is $40-$60. A VPS works like a server and not a hosting account. That means alot of software needs to be kept up to date and that requires real admin skills.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by ACcomunica
    What is your budget BusinessUSA?

Up to $30/mo -- go Shared

Up to $60/mo -- go VPS

Up to $90/mo -- go Dedicated
    I'd go right to VPS. I think your site would be too resource intensive for most shared servers, and you can expect better performance on a VPS.
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Originally posted by Gary Brahmi
    Again a webdesigner asking the client to look for a host by themselves. This is really getting far to common around.

Any how, it seems that the web-site that you will be running will have a pretty good traffic. It will be recommended to you to go with a VPS for a start and then later on swtich over the dedicated server as shared hosting will not stand the traffic requirement for your site.
    I've seen this from both sides and I can pretty much guarantee that the designer does not want any problems going back to him and that is why he did not pick the host.

A few design accounts we had years ago required hosting services we could not provide (Unix etc) so we recommended a few hosts. It was certain that any time something went wrong with the host or they needed to know something about how to setup an e-mail account etc, the client would be on the phone to us, because we were the ones who provided them with the host's name.

I still wouldn't have thrown a client out to look for something totally on their own, but I'm just giving an idea what may have been going on with this designer.

Yea, get a dedicated server for $90. Treat it like a big reseller account and see how long it takes you to get hacked.

Originally posted by NexDog
    I can't believe people are so quick to recommend VPS solutions if your budget is $40-$60. A VPS works like a server and not a hosting account. That means alot of software needs to be kept up to date and that requires real admin skills.
    Agreed, seems to be a growing trend here that because they can afford the cost of a VPS or a cheap dedicated server then everyone recommends that they should go that route. And we wonder why there are so many compromised machines out there.

Originally posted by NexDog
    If you are aware, the prices for the VPS are very very compatitive to shared hosting today and people tend to prefer VPS over shared hosting. Also the bandwidth that will be required for hosting this site will require a good amount of bandwidth which is why VPS was suggested right from the beginning.

When it comes to installing software this is again for the benifit of the user as he can put in all that he needs and neglect the unwanted rather than keeping that over the server un-necessarily.

Originally posted by Gary Brahmi
    If you are aware, the prices for the VPS are very very compatitive to shared hosting today and people tend to prefer VPS over shared hosting. Also the bandwidth that will be required for hosting this site will require a good amount of bandwidth which is why VPS was suggested right from the beginning.

When it comes to installing software this is again for the benifit of the user as he can put in all that he needs and neglect the unwanted rather than keeping that over the server un-necessarily.
    The problem here isn't suggesting the VPS, it is suggesting the VPS to someone that most likely does not have the knowledge required to run a VPS. (No offense to the OP) Rather than just offering a solution that will cover the bandwidth/disk/resource usage, you also need to consider the level of knowledge that the OP has.

Running a VPS or dedicated is not just a case of putting it on the net and forgetting about it and the prices quoted in this thread are not going to include the level of management that the OP will likely need for a VPS or dedicated server.

Ah, someone understands.