View Poll Results: Do you believe the world will end in your lifetime?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 18.03%
  • No

50 81.97%

Do you believe the world will end in your lifetime?

I was watching the daily show last night, and the guest they had stated there are more people believing the world will end in their lifetime, than people who are liberal.

I was suprised this many people believe doomsday is near.

Save all your opinions on the conservative vs. liberal war for another thread. If you have anything to say about liberals or conservatives, go find another thread to state your opinion. If a thread doesn't exist, resist the urge to start another politically-driven thread, and start a blog where you can state your opinions.

Do you believe the end of the world will happen during your lifetime? When did you start believing this? Why do you believe this?

At one time, i believed the end was near. Now after realizing there isn't a god, I don't believe the end of the world will be happening for a long long long long long long long long long long long long time.

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylove
    At one time, i believed the end was near. Now after realizing there isn't a god, I don't believe the end of the world will be happening for a long long long long long long long long long long long long time.
    Why do you say this? Is it because.. If there was a god he would destroy humanity due to what's happening around the world?
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

No. When i did believe in god, I believed in an all loving god, who didn't hold anything against anyone.

But, with all the corruption that exists among the christian faith, and people like the ex-pope telling people world-wide to quit using condoms because they are against the faith, thus resulting in widespread STD Infections, and poverty stricken families pushing out 5+ kids when they can't afford any.

And with people claiming they are spreading god's message while preaching intolerance to gays. I just realized that if there is a god, and these types of people are going to be in heaven. I'd rather spend eternity in pergatory, or according to my beliefs - sitting in the ground, with absolutely no activity in my mind, or body.

I agree with you Mikeylove...

Originally posted by mikeylove
    No. When i did believe in god, I believed in an all loving god, who didn't hold anything against anyone.

But, with all the corruption that exists among the christian faith, and people like the ex-pope telling people world-wide to quit using condoms because they are against the faith, thus resulting in widespread STD Infections, and poverty stricken families pushing out 5+ kids when they can't afford any.

And with people claiming they are spreading god's message while preaching intolerance to gays. I just realized that if there is a god, and these types of people are going to be in heaven. I'd rather spend eternity in pergatory, or according to my beliefs - sitting in the ground, with absolutely no activity in my mind, or body.

Also with the first question I do believe the world will not be lasting more then 50 to 60 years. Reason is humans will destroy it all with nukes or some other type of bombs. I do not think world it self you stop, but we might have another ice age coming real soon.

I do believe that man kind will almost be wiped out, and the remnants of humanity will be driven back to the prehistoric times. I also believe he will eventually reach this point again. I also believe it is entirely possible we have done it all before, perhaps even several times.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

I voteed yes, since I'm younger than most on this board. I don't agree with Torith that humans "will destroy it all with nukes or some other type of bombs", but I do believe that they will be the cause.
    - Matt

LOL, no of course not. The world is not going to end in my lifetime, not even close. That's just plain silly.

I also do not believe in god :)

I'm sure the Earth will be around until our sun expands and consumes it. Which will be in about 5 billion years.

If the world does end in our lifetime, i believe it will be caused by an energy crisis. Pretty much everything uses oil, is created from oil, or created through the use of oil. The world's oil consumption is growing rapidly every day, and will increase dramatically as China begins to industrialize. Oil isn't renewable, and we are at the peak of the oil supply bell curve. Even though we won't run out, we will have less and less, and be requiring more and more oil to sustain our economies. Without any other cheap, reliable source of energy, our economies will crumble.

I think it will in my Sons lifetime.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

No, definitely not, because my definition of the conclusion of the "World" is the actual death and decomposition of the entire planet, with it disintegrated and blowing away into space.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

What is meant by the world ending? It's extremely unlikely it will break up into little bitty pieces in my lifetime. The astronomers don't see any evidence of the sun changing in a way that could cause that for a long, long time. No objects big enough or close enough to be observed are on a collision course. I don't believe in a divinely ordered doomsday. Maybe extraterrestrials will arrive with their version of the deathstar, but I think it's improbable.
    Less big disasters do increase in probability. An asteroid or comet too small or far to be presently observable could arrive with an impact that could kill many millions quickly, and many more with climate changes caused by airborne particles. Much more chance of that not happening than happening during my lifetime. I'll include it as being "in my lifetime" if it's the event that kills me, even if I'm killed before most of the others killed by the process.
    Man-made disasters become a much higher probability than massively deadly natural disasters. Nuclear war that kills most of the world's population from the radiation is a significant risk. I think it's less than 50% that there will be a war that kills more than half the population. I'm sure there will be wars and political and economic upsets that kill a lot of people, but that's still a lot of notches down from "end of the world." Global warming is going to cause a lot of problems. Some will be killed by local weather disasters created by it. The economic upsets due to effects on agriculture and water supplies, with so much infrastructure invested by populations whose location is going to be wrong for future conditions, is going to get a lot of people killed.

My prophet taught me to believe that I should not care about WHEN the end time will be, but WHAT have you prepared to then?

How much good have you done? How much bad have you stopped doing? How many sins did you go away from.. It was once said, if the End day comes and you have a seed, plant it and you will get your reward!

There has to be an END to anything in this life. Life does have an end and I believe that it was made, not because God is not loving-not because God does not like us and want to punish us.

God planned such date, so we will be able to go back to him and either go to heaven or hell... Its like a court date set between you and God.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

The way I look at this is just to live each day to its fullest...Because you might not be around tommorrow I'm not worried about when the world will end, and I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

It won't end. The human race will no doubt cause it's own demise at some stage, but it's probably going to be a way off yet.

Most generations tend to think this will be the end of things, but we all end up plugging on regardless.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I think we have around 400 to 1000 years left
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

No, there's a slim to none chance that the world will "end" within my lifetime. Granted, my lifetime might be suddenly ended by a creation of mankind, such as a car or a bomb or a bridge or a building or a gun or something of that nature. However, the chances of the sun exploding within the next 75 years, let alone 75,000 years, let alone any date remotely conceivable are right up against "none".

If God had set a doomsday for us, why would it be now, in our lifetime? The chances of it being in our lifetime are just as low as it having been in the supposedly (according to the Christian faith) thousands of years that we have existed, or in the indefinite span of time that awaits our kind.

Also, on Judgment Day, is God planning on ridding the earth just of humanity, or is he planning on completely obliterating it? By what means will he do so? Is he going to drop a few nukes on various locations across earth and call it a "day"? Wait, what about the sea? What about the universe in its entirety, and the innumerable existing solar systems within it? That leads me to another question -- why do these additional planets and, especially, solar systems exist? Why would God have created them?

Keep in mind that these are questions of a philosophical nature, and anyone who answers them "correctly" will not be recognized due to the sheer nature of the question: no one will know their answers until and unless something like the above happens. I am not religious in any way; I just like asking about these things, and I know they are not very conducive to practicality or reason.
    Last edited by SniperDevil; 04-20-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    Off-Topic
    "You shall not commit adultery", AIDS and other STD infections are the consequences of braking the 7th commandment. Let's face it, preservatives encourage adultery so why should the church allow their use ?

On-Topic

I doubt the end of the world will happen in our lifetime.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Yes, Bush is President again.

Originally posted by J-P
    Off-Topic
    "You shall not commit adultery", AIDS and other STD infections are the consequences of braking the 7th commandment. Let's face it, preservatives encourage adultery so why should the church allow their use ?

To save lives. Thousands are dieing every year as direct results of church actions in Africa. Whole villages simply died. Kids are born with AIDS and they die. These are real people that never had any chance. And then the same church who supports and promotes child molesters and sexual predators preaches against use of condoms. I would be ashamed to be related to this inhuman organization. They should be brought to Haag court and tried for crimes against humanity.

Originally posted by sasha
    To save lives. They should be brought to Haag court and tried for crimes against humanity.
    Nobody forces anyone to be christian, the christian intellects tell you what you need to do to be a good christian. They decided to commit adultery and you're trying to tell me they're following the church and not using Condoms, so they follow what they want to follow ?

I don't blame the church for any of that, humanity is responsible but we always have to put it on the church.

*I won't continue this off-topic subject, Mods if you can please split the thread or delete this.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

nope not at all..not for another million year..

I do believe that humanity will end or loose more than 50% of it's population within my lifetime due to some man-made event.

Since when is the daily show considered a reliable source of information?