How to advertise a new webhost

Hey everyone

I was just wondering some of the methods that people have implemented over the years to get their hosting company up and running. I have been advertising on a few web forums but it seems im yet to get any *real* hits.

So how do you do it? Like, where do you advertise and find people to be hosted by you?

Im a very deticated person to this (im a webmaster by nature) so i know what to do to search engine optimise it but that wont do me any good unless i have people searching for me!

So please try to help and tell me how YOU do it

Im not sure if im able to post my web-hosts url here, if I am can someone please inform me and ill do it so you can all see what it looks like

Thanks
    Chris

Chris,

I am not very sure if anyone will helpful for you. But I can inform you that you can place the offers of your companies under the advertisement forums here. You can mention all the details that you are offering with the plans.

This is what I can say for the moment. As far as the other old hosts here are concerned, you will have to wait for there suggestion upon this.

One good way not to do it, is to have someone acting as a shill for you, as you did in another username for computing-web-hosting.com

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    One good way not to do it, is to have someone acting as a shill for you, as you did in another username for computing-web-hosting.com
    I'm completely in awe of anon-e-mouse. She's like cyber Sherlock
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    LOL

I remain defiant that i wasn't in fact the owner of that host mind you

But that was ages ago Well i have absolubtly no idea how you know that considering ive swapped ISP's and have new emails etc. etc. (alot can change on the net) but anyway yeah lol

Quite honestly, i was hosted with them and i did know the owner quite well. He asked me if i would try and get people to him and i though why not. Then i copped abuse for it (lol) and kind of stopped going here

But i intend on doing it myself, honestly, its a more direct and upfront approach and id expect people would like that better.

Nice advice btw lol

To be frank, I never advertised save for some google adwords. that hardly bring any clients. But somehow word just got out and the rest as they say is history
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Originally posted by sprintserve
    To be frank, I never advertised save for some google adwords. that hardly bring any clients. But somehow word just got out and the rest as they say is history
    Really? You never advertised?

Say, that's a nice signature you have there!

This thread cracked me up.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Thread moved.

I suspect it's considerably harder to start a new host today than it was years ago. Advertising prices have skyrocketed, and hosts do need at least some advertising when they're just starting as there's no word of mouth to rely on.

A good place to start is with some local advertising. Make some fliers you can hang on bulletin boards in public places like school campuses, electronic stores, or other places you think may attract clients. Microsoft Publisher has some good flier templates.

... so i know what to do to search engine optimise it but that wont do me any good unless i have people searching for me!
    People are already searching for you, they just don't know it yet!

Try SEO not just on your company/site name , but for the services you provide. And it's easier/cheaper to reach your potential customers if you pick a niche. It's much cheaper to get good placement for 'yellow bikini' than just 'bikini', and if you do indeed sell yellow bikinis, the clicks you get will be higher quality and more likely to convert to sales.

Everyone says the best advertising is word of mouth. The toughest thing to do is to build your initial customer base, things should slowly spread from there. You might think about some sort of offline, targetted, local promotion to get your start, that's probably your best bet in finding clients that the web hosting industry hasn't yet absorbed. Keep your clients happy from there, and you should be in good shape.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

Well the topic is on how we advertise, and not having much advertising is the truth. It's also probably true that it's a lot more crowded out there now. That's the reality of the industry. It's getting easier and easier to start and thus more and more competitive.

However, we did considerable direct sales at the start to gain clients. We broke even operationally in 1 month. (not server cost alone)
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Put some good content on your web hosting site, like beginner articles and tutorials about your site. then optimise for search engines....

Its the best way for a new host with no capital. dont waste your money with anything else apart from free host directories.
    Off Topic Web Forum - A forum for talking about anything!!
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!

The best and cheapest way is to make a fake hosting "directory" and list yourself in it. I've tried to sell hosting through various reseller/affiliate relationships for years and my little hosting directory leads to more (free) sales than:
    - Google bids @ minimum bid
    - Overture bids @ minimum bid
    - Banners run through my other sites
    - Text links on my other sites
    - Popunder ad campaigns

Yep, it's sleezy and these directories with their "reviews" and "recommendations" don't generally serve the site visitor, but you asked what works.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

That post was just priceless Dan!

Question is, how do you bring traffic to that "directory"?
    Last edited by ldcdc; 04-21-2005 at 12:27 PM.

IMO the best way to do this, is to focus on one particular market segement that you feel best fits your business. A good representation (and visual aid) to this, would be to get out a piece of paper. Go.. go now, get it!

Ok, put this piece of paper on the table. This represents the internet as a whole. Now, go find an eye dropper. Most people probably won't have one, so you'll have to go to the store and buy one. That's alright. I'll wait. ... ... ... ... ... back? Ok, good. Now, fill that eye dropper up with water. This represents your marketing effort.

Now, that you have your paper and eye dropper full of water (effort) pick a spot on the piece of paper. It doesn't really matter where. Put a single drop of water on the piece of paper. Notice how it's just soaked up and doesn't really make much effect? Now put another drop in the same spot. Notice how it too is soaked up, but slightly expands the "wet" area.

Repeat this until your entire paper, (market) is completely saturated with your effort (water).

Now, go clean up the mess before you get in trouble.

Are you looking for online marketting, search engine optiomization ( SEO ), ad marketting ???

But if you ask me, best and cheapest is, optimize your web site, and make it search engine optimized and try to get good position on search engine results.

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 04-22-2005 at 07:06 PM.

if you planing to run the specific hosting try niche advertising.

lets say your primary market is phpnuke,blog hosting = put your ads on this scripts dev sites, etc.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    That post was just priceless Dan!

Question is, how do you bring traffic to that "directory"?
    Links, banners on my other sites, and minimum bids on Google AdWords.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts