View Poll Results: Do you think threads should autoclose?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

12 54.55%
  • Yes, after a month.

3 13.64%
  • Yes, after 2 months.

2 9.09%
  • Yes, after 3 months.

0 0%
  • Yes, after 6 months.

5 22.73%
  • Yes, after 12 months.

0 0%
  • Undecided.

0 0%

automatic thread locking

Something should be developed to prevent thread necromancing.

How about something to automatically lock threads that haven't recieved a new reply in 6 months?

Not that I'm too lazy to search for it (but I might be); but we've talked about it.

I wouldn't envision many hacks being implemented before updating to vB3. (whenever that be)
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Isn't that a built in feature of vb anyway? (it might be vb3 however )
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Re: automatic thread locking

Originally posted by mikeylove
    Something should be developed to prevent thread necromancing.

How about something to automatically lock threads that haven't recieved a new reply in 6 months?
    I'd like to see them even sooner... I've seen a few recent posts that were dead a week and someone would post some randomn crud just to get the flame fest going again....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Seven days sounds good to me. If it's been dead for more than seven days, just PM the user you want to talk to..

What's wrong with bringing back old threads if you happen to have discussion relevent to that thread? Doesn't it make sense to keep it all in one place?

People are just as adept at posting random crud and flame fodder in new threads as old ones. Closing out old discussions won't stop this - I'd posit it won't even slow it down by a single post. What it will do is cause multiple threads to be opened on single topics even more than it happens now.

That's just my .02
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I agree with both DanX and the_pm to some extent.

I think a "middle ground" needs to be found. Something that won't result in lots of duplicate threads, but also something that will stop really old threads being brought back from the dead.

I think a figure of 6-12 months would be more appropriate. The hosting industry is pretty fast moving, and so that gives ample of time for people to continue the discussion on a topic/issue, but will stop people replying to threads 1/2/3 years old which would 95% likely be out of date and forgotten.
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Originally posted by the_pm
    What's wrong with bringing back old threads if you happen to have discussion relevent to that thread?. . .
    The main thing I see wrong with it is, it's unfair to those that have posted to the thread and subscribed to be notified of a new post when they apparently have lost interest some time ago.
    . . . Doesn't it make sense to keep it all in one place? . . .
    Absolutely.

And it's why I'm torn between both ways.

Keeping everything relative to the topic in the same thread, seems like the logical thing to do.

But, when the subject matter is posted months or years later to the last post, I'm not sure if it really helps anyone.

The main thing I see wrong with it is, it's unfair to those that have posted to the thread and subscribed to be notified of a new post when they apparently have lost interest some time ago.
    I've never subscribed to a WHT thread before, but if it's like other boards I've used, doesn't the email come with a link that automatically unsubscribes you? I dunno, if I posted in a thread and it was legitimately brought back with new information (and this type of revival was encouraged), I'd be happy to learn there's new information available on a topic that was obviously of interest, since I subscribed to it, especially if I started it! When people are forced to start new threads on topics that already have some basis, the people who were a part of the previous conversation may be left out of this one. Sounds like a recipe for disconnect.

Oh, it might also serve as a gentle reminder for someone who hasn't visited WHT in a while that there are discussions happening that are of interest to that person

But, when the subject matter is posted months or years later to the last post, I'm not sure if it really helps anyone.
    If the information isn't helpful, I doubt it's any more or less so whether it's in an old thread or a new one.

It's a very, very minor point for me, since I hardly ever revive old threads, but it makes for interesting discussion, and I'll stand by my assertion that a topic should not be closed regardless of age unless the contents of the thread dictate it should (or the OP asks for it).

What did that video for Steam Forums say again?
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Originally posted by the_pm
    .... I'll stand by my assertion that a topic should not be closed regardless of age unless the contents of the thread dictate it should (or the OP asks for it).

i whole heartedly agree with the_pm's statement.

There has never been a time when i thought a thread should be locked.

But rules are rules. And all forums have their own set. To each their own....
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Originally posted by gina_TVI

Gina its so good to see you again!
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Originally posted by gina_TVI

Exactly! I see most of the time things being said like "Search is your friend" or the sarcastic remark "Doesnt anybody use the search function anymore?"
    What if a member has a certain question, does his/her search, finds the thread but CANT post his/her question because the thread is locked? With that you will get new posts asking questions that have been asked before and other members going REPOST REPOST or, "This has been asked before" and nothing else, Just another worthless reply.
    2 cents
    Dave

I like things kept in one place. I don't have a problem with someone responding to an "old thread" with relevant information.

But, that's not the general rule. Usually the "new information" is as stale as the old.

So, I guess I'm not in favor of auto-closing. But, it might be the best course.

That might be 12 May 2007.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I wouldn't envision many hacks being implemented before updating to vB3. (whenever that be)
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

When vB4 comes out...
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Gah so soon? I was told it would be around when Service Pack 2 is announced from Microsoft for the Longhorn OS. =)
    TradeViceroy

Actually I think it's great seeing old threads appear every now and again. I get email notification on every thread I read and when a 3 or 4 year old thread pops up and I see the little gems of pearl I contributed at the time it's great. It also reminds me of member that have long since moved on. For the new members here it gives them the oppurtunity to read the thoughts of previous members.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Personally, I think 7 days is too short. A thread SHOULD be auto-locked, but 7 days isn't enough time to let things be things. A month, on the other hand is quite good.

Why should the thread be locked?
    Quite simply, if there hasn't been enough interest in the thread in 30 days, then there's no reason to reopen it, now, is there? The ONLY exception I can see to this is the tutorial forums, as these can get very warranted posts after the 30 day limit.

In most cases, the posts that I've seen made after this 30 day mark are absolutely ignorant posts, made by people who haven't read the thread fully, and want to add just one little line, or restate something that's already been said. In short, it's simply a way to up their post count. Great for newbies, but for veterans who've been around a while and actually subscribe to those threads, it's annoying as anything to see this stupid crap.

How many times has this come up? I'll say at least twice, because I know I've brought it up (or commented on it) a few times. Maybe one of the mods could edit this thread and add some sort of a poll to it, see what those think that don't feel like adding a post? Just my 0.02 there though.

I love it when people use the search function, it means they're trying to actually learn the system around here, but when the people searching have to add their own 0.02 which has already been said countless times before, into a thread that's 30+ days old, it gets absolutely annoying.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Automatic Thread Locking

It was suggested to create a poll, so I will merge the other thread with this.

. . . And it's why I'm torn between both ways.
    Aye, I agree with that. There's good and bad to either way you look at this. I say Dennis flips a coin, and we roll with that.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Aye, I agree with that. There's good and bad to either way you look at this. I say Dennis flips a coin, and we roll with that.
    I agree with that!

Everyone please send one silver dollar (anything smaller will just get lost when it goes a flippin') to swr AT paypal.com.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

I agree with that!

Everyone please send one silver dollar (anything smaller will just get lost when it goes a flippin') to swr AT paypal.com.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.
    Now if you made it two pennies we could have a game of "Two Up" that really would create some interest.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?