Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Verizon to offer 30mb/5mb DSL

Price List: http://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome...ckagePrice.asp
    Availability:http://www22.verizon.com/Foryourhome/fios/..._code=&variant=

A fiber optic-based broadband alternative may be coming soon to your apartment, condo, or commune. Fashonistas love to flaunt their prada shoes. Rappers pile on the bling until thier sparkle is blinding. Corporate honchos throw parties with ice sculptures that pee vodka. So what do geeks do to establish their place on the food chain? They boast about their fat broadband connections.

But the pricey 1.5Mbps connections are looking mighty foolish in Keller, Texas these days. That's where Verizon first introduced its fibre to the premises (fttp) broadband service, and its hardly an emblem of privilege for the grossly wealthy. Instead, residents are capable of pulling down an astonishing 5mbps for as low as $35 per month.

Verizon is delivering these truly decadent speeds using fiber-optic cables that transmit voice, data, and video. And the company tells us that speed isn't the only advantage offered by fiber-optic transmission. Unlike cable, bandwith isn't shared among customers, and unlike DSL, you don't have to be close to the central office to get optimal performance.

Verizon is calling its service Fios (pronounced FYE-ose, an incantation we've confirmed doesn't open a portal to hell), and is already expanding its service to California and Florida. The pricing scheme, which the company tells us is not merely an introductory offer, touts 5mbps/2mbps (downstream/upstream) for $40 a month as a standalone package or $35 a month as part of a local and/or long-distance calling plan. You'll also be able to get a 15mbps/2mbps connection for $45 a month as part of a calling package or $50 a month stand alone. Pricing for 30mbps/5mbps will be anounced later.

Data service packages include up to nine e-mail accounts with 30 mb of storage for the primary account and 10 mb for each sub-account, an address book and calender, 10 mb of personal web space, a web site building tool and access to news groups.

We've always said that bandwith is like dollar bills-you can never have enough. If a years worth of ultra high speed broadband costs less than a pair of prada shoelaces, so much the better.
    OMG
    Don't look for a way out.

Wow $50 for 15mbit/2mbit... I pay that NOW for 2.5mbit/350kb
    hm what should I put in my sig?

My aunt actually works at Verizon. She told all about this, but I didn't know it would come so soon. Maybe I should see if she can tell me how much the 30 MBPS/5 MBPS will cost

I actually live less than 3 miles from Keller, Texas
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    My aunt actually works at Verizon. She told all about this, but I didn't know it would come so soon. Maybe I should see if she can tell me how much the 30 MBPS/5 MBPS will cost

Well, I live IN Keller, Texas

We're looking into signing up now, but as you can imagine, they are kind of swamped.
    Last edited by bow-viper1; 09-18-2004 at 03:55 AM.

Says right on the site. $200 a month
    Don't look for a way out.

WOAH!
    US prices must be really competitive.
    I have to pay over £30 (~$70) per / mo for a 2MB Line in the UK.

Yeah but then theres no compettion. Only telewest that does it i think. Maybe NTL but am not sure.

Since when is FTTP DSL? THis isn't DSL, this is Fiber. FIOS is the next step for high speed internet.

Hooly! Thats insane. Count me in though, I currently use Sympatico .

erm no talkster.

Plusnet offers 2Mbit uncapped for £40 a month. Telewest offers 3Mbit for £50 a month.

Bulldogdsl can offer 4Mbit from £20 if you live in central london.

we're getting there slowly
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

I only dream to have 1MB down, you are talking about 15 and 30?!!
    I can AT MOST download at 100KB/s and upload is a joke. (5KB/s)

That is if my cable doesnt randomly time out.

IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

30, wow. Can't wait till it comes to Canada!!! Although I live in a small little 'town (hamlet really)' and I doubt I would get it at my current house. Until then, cable with have to suffice.

If your in Dolphin Square in the UK, you get 100Mbps (im not sure, but it may be full duplex) FTTH from NTL. Its a trial product though, because our government won't let us have fibre in our homes anytime soon...

For those who don't know what FTTP (Fiber To The Premises) DSL it is a new piece of technology invented by Verizon. They've been working on it for a while. My aunt told me its one of the fastest connections in the world.

It is however called "Verizon DSL" Rob
    Kerry Jones

wow this is awesome, im gonna try to convince my dad once it gets to my area :-D
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Wow, incredible prices! Then again, you can get a dedicated Cogent 100 mbps link to your place of work for $1,000.

OMG!!
    *happy dance*

I get a $5 discount since I have the freedom package...

I feel like ordering it... but I know my husband would kill me...
    But then again, it would only be $5-15 more than what we're paying now for 1.5/384 from them.

hmmm.... tempting....

--edit--
    Its not available in my area... grrr

For those who don't know what FTTP (Fiber To The Premises) DSL it is a new piece of technology invented by Verizon. They've been working on it for a while. My aunt told me its one of the fastest connections in the world.

To call FTTP DSL is to call a horse a dog. Just because they have 4 legs and can run, doesn't mean they are the same.

BellSouth does the same thing with their IFITL Fiber Lines, they call it DSL, but it is NOT DSL.

As far as one of the "fastest connections in the world", well the FIOS installation currently going on in Keller are yielding speeds of around 14mb down and 1.7mb up

Its not a new technology, it has been around ever since the evolution of cable technologies.

Its just that up until recently, cable providers have not been allowed to run fibre directly into the house by many western governements due to concerns over cancer etc... Hence they run coax directly into the home from the fibre networks.

You got to Sweden and other countries and it has been a popular technology for years.

BTW Verizon are a cable provider, not a cable developer. They merely provide the networks, it other companies that develop the technologies.

Great offer. I would jump on it if it was available in my area.
    One thing I didn't like though was the pricing.
    You would be better off buying four $50 pkg.
    4x15 Mbps/4x2 Mbps=60 Mbps/8 Mbps for $200 vs 30 Mbps/5 Mbps for $199.95
    Common sense says you should be getting a better deal in bulk.

Yeah but I don't think you'd be able to use the 4 seperates as a total without figuring out a way to bind them together. Plus they probably figure the bulk users will really use it. My guess is they do some overselling.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Keller, Texas has some very nice houses are reasonable prices.

I live in Haltom City which is right next to Keller. I hope they swing that connection our way!
    Kerry Jones

"Power for services provided on the Verizon Fios network must be supplied by the customer."

You mean I don't get a mini generator for my modem?
    --

What the frog! OK I got to move out of Australia one day.
    <<Please RTFM for signature setup>>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast