Obesity Danger May Have Been Overstated

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...obesity_deaths

Even though it is not as high as they thought it was it still a problem.

A related study found that overweight Americans are healthier than ever,
    eh... Ok

The new analysis found that obesity — being extremely overweight — is indisputably lethal. But like several recent smaller studies, it found that people who are modestly overweight actually have a lower risk of death than those of normal weight.
    You know, I wish they would make up their minds before I lose all my fat cells

If any of you remember the old Jack Benny Show, Jack's announcer was Don Wilson, who was rather heavy. Jack used to make fun of Don's weight.
    Jack Benny was born 1894 and died 1974 at age 80.
    Don Wilson was born 1900, and died 1982 at age 82.

I am sure many have been waiting for this... an excuse to keep eating and getting fat.

The CDC has always been pretty accurate with their findings -- I do wish they'd retest it as their results seem to go against all odds and everything we've always known about obesity and the risk of death.

The problem is with fast foods. I use to work at a fast foods place, and I would see the same people who are over weight. People will keep eating the fast food since it is fast, and cheap. If we can solve that problem we might be solving the poblem with over weight. Though the other factors of... people being lazy, ect.

well, Id rather be skinny than fat, wether being fat added 2 years to my life!

I like to feel good about my self, not have people laughing at me because im fat.

I've never understood that reasoning.
    Why would you care if some loser was laughing at you.

I think anyone that would not feel good about themself because of the way some total strangers may view them has other issues that need to be dealt with before the weight problem.

A related study, also in Wednesday's JAMA, found that overweight Americans are healthier than ever because of better maintenance of blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Diabetes is on the rise among people in all weight categories, however.

Could somebody check on the company that ran these studies, something smells like BS to me :/

I am not a pro on this, but as far as I know, appereance is not directly related to health (unless you are extremely overweight).
    It is about internal body fat (right word?).
    There are people looks very tiny but have very high amount of internal fat, which is very unhealty.
    And the opposite, obese looking people with very low amount of internal fat, which is healthy

Originally posted by blue27
    I've never understood that reasoning.
    Why would you care if some loser was laughing at you.

I think anyone that would not feel good about themself because of the way some total strangers may view them has other issues that need to be dealt with before the weight problem.
    I like to know people are looking at me thinking hes handsome than looking at me thinkin lose some weight

I havent a problem with big people and idont take the mic out of them, But why would anyone want to be fat?

Yeah some people cant help it, but others really can!!

Originally posted by Bully
    well, Id rather be skinny than fat, wether being fat added 2 years to my life! . . .
    I'd always been unhealthy. Well, in a physical kinda way.

But, since I doubled my weight (yes . . I weigh twice as much as I weighed my entire adult lfe) I have never felt healthier.

I have far less seizures. And skeletal problems are much less a problem.

I have more energy. And am able to relax better.

Had I known 30 years ago, that adding 130 pounds would greatly improve my quality of life, I would have worked very diligently towards that goal.

Fat is fine.

Obese is a different subject.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I am no small fry

I think being happy is more important than being skinny, if I am constantly nagging myself about calories and crap, I won't be happy.

I don't mind dying, at least I will be happy when I die.

Oversimplistic view of mine, but I like my view.

The problem isn't just fast food. A major problem is that they put high-fructose corn syrup in EVERYTHING! Sure it makes the corn growers money, but it causes heath problems for many Americans.

I love the attitude some have that it's the fault of companies that people are overweight. I don't remember McDonald's ever calling me up and telling me not to run.

I have a horrific diet but my job and lifestyle motivate me to keep in shap. I grew up a fat kid but exercise keeps it off and I eat pretty much all I want.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

It is true it isn't completely company’s fault that people in the US are overweight. People with little to no self control can be to blame for their own problems. But, the food industry has made it very hard and expensive for many Americans to eat healthy.

It is the companies fault as well as the customers fault. The companies make the food, and the customers eat the food. If the companies did not make the food the customers would not be eating it as much if at all. If the customers did not go to the fast food then the businesses would go out of business. Though more to blame is the customer not the restaurant it self.

Originally posted by DevilDog
    I love the attitude some have that it's the fault of companies that people are overweight. I don't remember McDonald's ever calling me up and telling me not to run.

I have a horrific diet but my job and lifestyle motivate me to keep in shap. I grew up a fat kid but exercise keeps it off and I eat pretty much all I want.