5 15.15%
  • Wester Digital

9 27.27%
  • Seagate

17 51.52%
  • Other: IBM, Mitsumi, etc.

2 6.06%

CHoice of SATA HD and WHY

Please choose one and point out why you think it is better?
    I'm planning to do a bulk order but I need to choose one of the three:

Maxtor SATA
    WD SATA
    Seagate SATA
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Mostly from what I've heard, WD is the best (at the home). That's why I voted WD. But I too would be interested in everyone elses opinions

FYI, I can't see someone like IBM being a bad choice.

I personally like Seagate, they really stepped up to the plate now that they offer 5 year warranties on their drives. I have more than 20 of their drives running in my co-located servers. I have had alot of WD's fail over the past year. my 2 cents.

Dan

I voted for Maxtor so far because of the:

Diamondmax 10's 16 mb cache.
    Synergy Blue LLC

I would also reccomend seagate, I've had a couple of home computers with WD drives fail on me, but my seagate drives have never experienced problems.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Seagate for me. They were a bit slow on the higher capacity drives. But seem to have caught up finally. and backing it with warranty at that.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Western Digital raptors are excellent drives, they also come with a 5 year warrantee. If they are too small or you cannot afford a raided setup with them, try using them for just the /var/ partition or just your mysql data directory for a nice budget perforance boost. 10,000 rpm and very low latency makes these drives an excellent SCSI alternative.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

Maxtor. We recently purchased several 250GB drives with 16MB cache and we are getting excellent performance from them
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Yash, Cast a vote seems like maxtor is losing the poll.

I find Seagate drives very quiet; however, with the noise of the fans of the dual xeon server, you can barely hear the drives of any make.
    Synergy Blue LLC

I've had WD and seagate sata's both have higher fail rate than maxtor. And this is coming from someone who used to avoid maxtor like the plague

have look at these and decide own

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-277-5.htm

I've got an old DiamondMax in my personal server (80Gb 4D080H4) which has been running none-stop now for about 3 years, and I'm running two in my current PC, a newer 80Gb DiamondMax Plus 9 (about 2 years) and my 'brand-new' DiamondMax Plus 10 200Gb (about 2 months).

All are running fine and still going strong!
    Jonathan Wright (Technical Director, JAB Web Solutions Limited).

UK Hosting and Reseller Hosting from JAB Web Solutions

I have used in the past

WD
    Seagate
    SAMSUNG

And I can say that WD are better than seagate if you control their heat and the dust. (Also WD are not a fan of choke's and damages) They will fail/damage very easy.

SAmsung is a little slower than both but it's a little more stronger on damage's and choke's.

Betwen Seagate and WD I find WD faster but a little more FRAGIL (10-20%) but they are a little faster also (5-15%).

I think it all comes down to the person prefences igual to intel and amd.

I'd look at something a little more objective than WHT reader's anecdotal evidence. (oh, and my anecdotes - a Dell engineer cam eto replace one of our 250gb WD drives, he said these get very hot and that can lead to more failures than is normal)

Try http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-in...ndMostReliable

and then try the reliability survey.

So far, their leaderboard shows Maxtors are best for servers.

And checking the reliability survey: The Seagate's come out best ( hitachi second).
    The most reliable was the Seagate Cheetah 15K.3 (SCSI) at 97% more reliable than all the other drives polled, or the Barracuda ATA V at 93% more reliable. Deskstar 180GXP is the best Hitachi at 88%.
    Last edited by gbjbaanb; 04-22-2005 at 08:37 AM.

Originally posted by gbjbaanb
    ...Deskstar 180GXP is the best Hitachi at 88%.
    Which I always find quite amusing, as the IBM 60GXP (or 75GXP version, can't remember which one I bought) was one of the worst hard drives on the market. I went though 3 of them in the space of 6 months with various problems! That's what drove me to try Maxtor!

It was the 75GXP, which was a cutting-edge drive that was rushed to market. Too cutting edge apparently, and was the reason IBM sold its HDD business to Hitachi. Before that, IBM had a good repuation for its drives.

There's a class action lawsuit taking place at the moment: http://www.tech-report.com/onearticle.x/6292

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the GXP range of drives are all the same, as platter density etc etc change all the time, a 180GXP is a totally different beast internally than the 75GXP. The same applies to other manufacturers - one type of drive will be different to another.

I totally agree with you, but while it's all well and good for the destop market, when you're running servers 24/7 and you want reliability and quality above performance and price, you've got to think twice about using that 'brand' although because of this mistake they're probably going to be the most reliable and trustworthy in order not to repeat the same mistake twice.