Average number of accounts per server - don't shoot me

Hello all,

As far as I can tell this hasn't been asked before, if it has, please point me in the right direction:

Ok, every week or so, someone asks here how many accounts they can fit on a server... and every time they get the same silly answers... basically, because it's a silly question... It all depends on the server specs, the account specs and percentage of each type of account etc.

What I'd be interested to know is for no other reason than personal interest (I have my business plan worked out, and have been sticking to it for 2+ years now and it works fine etc etc)

Ok, so with the preface over, and one last request not to have silly answers posted...

What's the AVERAGE number of accounts you have on each server?

It's a really simple question, here's the maths...

MATHS:
    TOTAL NUMBER OF HOSTING ACCOUNTS ACROSS ALL SERVERS / TOTAL NUMBER OF SERVERS

Example:
    400 accounts / 2 servers = average of 200 accounts per server.

If everyone can provide their stats here we can give it a week or so and then work out an average number from everyone that responds...

You only need to list your average, that way, it's not too obtrusive into your business plan, success or total number of customers etc. To get the final average we can add up all the averages and divide by the number of people who posted.

Thank you for your time.

Sorry, my bad. Could this be moved to "Running a Web Hosting Business" please. (Browser crashed and I was too hasty trying to post it again).

Well looking at mine, it's around 200 per box

That's domains, not actual accounts, account wise we've probably got around 10-15 resellers per machine.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Just done my own now, rounded to the nearest whole number it's 164 accounts per server.

I think this should go on actual accounts rather than domains (ie parked domains don't count). ie A reseller might have 30 accounts, these 30 would be included in the number per server.

Here is some stats from my company, I take 3 examples:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server A:
    ------------
    Celeron 2.8 - 1 Gb RAM
    200 Gb SATA HD
    100 Mbps port
    1000 Gb monthly BW.

>>> 140 websites
    >>> 8 resellers
    Total 220 accounts

Server B:
    -----------
    2 x P4 3.2 Ghz - 2 Gb RAM
    160 GB HD - RAID 0
    100 Mbps
    1000 Gb monthly BW

>>>> 400 websites
    >>>> 15 resellers
    Total 500 accounts

Server C:
    ------------
    Celeron 2.4 Ghz - 512 Mb RAM
    80 Gb HD
    10 Mbps
    1000 Gb monthly BW

>>>> 1 website (a forum with 7500 members and 50000 msgs)

Hope this helps...
    Enterprise Consultant
    CCNP Enterprise - CCNP Security
    .:. Travels From West to East .:.

Just an addition to the previous post:

The capacity of any server grows faster than its price. So, take the most expensive box you can afford at any moment.
    Enterprise Consultant
    CCNP Enterprise - CCNP Security
    .:. Travels From West to East .:.

My average is around 200 per server.

Originally posted by djstonefish
    Sorry, my bad. Could this be moved to "Running a Web Hosting Business" please. (Browser crashed and I was too hasty trying to post it again).
    Moved To Running a Web Hosting Business Forum
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Regular hosting accounts with more html/flash sites can have an average of 400-500 sites on a P4 with 1G RAM.

For a lower end processor the ideal number is around 200 - 300.

I always feel lesser the sites per server, the better it is.

Regards
    Amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares....
    https://bobcares.in

On our web servers, on a Dual XEON specification with RAID1 SCSI hard disks and 4GB of RAM, we can easily put around 1000 to 1200 sites on it with ease.

These web servers do not host any database, email or DNS on them. The SCSI/XEON combination works exceptionally well for us and the load on the servers are minimal
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Here is an answer thats helpful

servers: p4 2.4 w/ 1gb ram ide hdd

sites (domains) ~200

I have been hosting for 3 years and this is why servers i have been running the hole time.
    Off Topic Web Forum - A forum for talking about anything!!
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm not really interested in how big your hard drive is or how cool your new set up is etc. It's just the figures I'm after...

If you just put your average per server that should be enough.

That way we can get an average per server.

There's no need to justify why you have such a low / high figure per server as it's only an average and it might be that you host mainly large sites that take a server each, or you might concentrate on business card web sites that you can fit 1000 of on a 386...

Thanks

this question has been asked many many times here, and the best answer is that is depends on the sites.

If you can be more specific "How many 20mb html sites using 500mb bandwidth per month can I expect to get on a P4 2.8 with 1gb RAM" you might get a better answer.

Sites vary so much as do server specifications, it's a bit like asking how many people fit into a room ? It all depends on the size of the room and the size of the people.......

Originally posted by Deefer
    this question has been asked many many times here, and the best answer is that is depends on the sites.

If you can be more specific "How many 20mb html sites using 500mb bandwidth per month can I expect to get on a P4 2.8 with 1gb RAM" you might get a better answer.

Sites vary so much as do server specifications, it's a bit like asking how many people fit into a room ? It all depends on the size of the room and the size of the people.......
    I wondered how long it would be before someone answered like this... did you even read the first post?

Originally posted by djstonefish
    I wondered how long it would be before someone answered like this... did you even read the first post?
    Yes I did, and in answer to your question we have several servers with a few hundred domains on and several with just 1 or 2 domains on. Without knowing the server specs and the types of domains in question the question and answers are pretty pointless.

Originally posted by Deefer
    Yes I did, and in answer to your question we have several servers with a few hundred domains on and several with just 1 or 2 domains on. Without knowing the server specs and the types of domains in question the question and answers are pretty pointless.
    Actually, no its not. He is asking for the AVERAGE that is currently in use now. Not hypothetical "how much could I".

So, with a server with a couple hundred, and a server with 1, your average would be about 50-80 pers server.

----------------------

For me:

321 Accounts / 9 Servers = 35 Accounts per server AVERAGE
    This is not including the 2 other servers in use, that aren't directly part of the H-Sphere cluster (Firewall/Bridge, and Backup/Storage)

~850 domains / 9 Servers = 94 Domains per server AVERAGE

Thank you Amish. I was just going to put something along those lines... It's an average, a statistic, not a business plan!

105 accounts per server is our average.

- John C.

184 (rounded up) per server here.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Average 186 accounts per server.