1. vps with kde + vncserver

im looking for a vds that has kde and vncserver presetup, i tried on another vds, without much success, and i would like to be running rh9 or suse 9.2, with 10gb+ space, and 100gb+ transfer. any ideas, and rough costs, and would also need irc alowed, and preferably adult content, but not essential.

I don't think you will find any ones that ship with KDE by default as running that + an xserver remotly is a massive security hole

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

EuroVPS did this exact same conrfiguration for me for free!!!! I am extremely happy with it, it's so fast! www.eurovps.com is teh only choice !!!! I would never go back to servint even if they gave me 5 years free for all the problems I had with my server.

Linode. www.linode.com

Better grab one quick while they still have room. They sold 7 of their low end plan in a matter of days

5. thanks datruesurfer ive just bought one, looks pretty good so far

I too think this is definitely an intersting setup.

I would be intersted to read any tutorials if you decide to piece one together.
    Thanks

Originally posted by talkhostrunner
    I too think this is definitely an intersting setup.

I would be intersted to read any tutorials if you decide to piece one together.
    Thanks

Tutorials for what?

on exactly what distro worked best for this type of setup. If one host and package was better than the next, etc.

I have never attempted VNC on anything other than windows machines so I am interested to learn how to get it all working on Linux.

With linode, any of the large distro's include vnc in the template. All you have to do is type vncserver at a shell prompt

10. only problem i found, is there is a lot of junk installed you just cant use, for instance, printers, sound programs, and games. i am trying to find the best way to set it up manually, i sort of got kde on debian running, but it was missing vital parts such as terminal and konquour. will keep you all informed how i manage with it.

Out of interest what are you trying to do with kde? Seems like it will slow it down a lot with no benefit too me...

12. im using it to run mirc with xover office to run a load of scripts, which would be very difficult to convert to tcl or c++. i have the most basic package, and i find it to be quite responsive and not really slow at all.

Watch out for bandwith usage... vnc can use alot at times.

14. so far its not too bad, ive used about 500mb, which is about 2%. ideally i want to run this kind of thing on the freebsd server i have, but that is a critical server which i cant afford to mess up, but it does have a lotta bandwidth. when i work out which distro is best for setting up a vnc from scratch i will let you all know