Post Starting a Web Hosting company

Anyone have any idea what would be the starting cost for a web hosting company?

Looking to host about 1000 sites on Linux supporting PHP & MySQL

Also what do you guys think of the Domain Name AstralByte.com for this hosting company?

All comments are welcome.

Thanks

Depends

Are these sites static or dynamic, big or small ? 1000 small static sites could fit on 1 server or you could need 1 or more servers per site if they're big.

Do you have the customers lined up already ? If not, I'd start with a small reseller and then grow into servers as your business grows.

PS It's probably not a good idea to post a potential domain name as anyone could register it before you

hhhmmm...The sites hosted would be mid-size to small size. About 75% of them dynamic using PHP & MySQL. I have about 10 clients right now but I was looking for a # to have in mind to plug-in to my business plan. Do know of a good reliable re-seller account. I use (mt) MediaTemple.net right now. Thanks for the domain advice but I have already register AstralByte.com, net & .org

There's a good number of reseller providers here and most other web hosting forums. Check the offers sections and check people's signatures.

If you're happy with your current provider, then I'd stay put as you know them and they know you. Discuss your expansion plans and see what they can offer.

The main thing to do is to keep an eye on your client's usage and set yourself a "comfort zone". When the clients start to reach this, you need to increase your reseller package or maybe consider a seperate server. When this happens will depend very much on your clients (and potentially other users of your reseller's server)

The reason why I was asking is that MediaTemple does not offer a reselling program only referral.

I would pick yourself up a decent priced reseller (i.e. not the cheapest) and see how you scale. Also try to find a company that does dedicateds as well so if you like them they can grow with you

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Originally posted by webmonkie
    The reason why I was asking is that MediaTemple does not offer a reselling program only referral.
    OK good enough reason I take it you've asked them about a reseller ?

When you look, you want to avoid the 20Gb for $5 / month type of offers, other than that, then search, read & ask questions

Look at the offers and do a bit of maths, could you run a server at those prices, if yes, then your new host will probably stay in business, if not then check what else your host offers (for example, I generate more revenue via consultancy than shared or reseller hosting, keeping my prices down).

Sounds good!
    Back to the domain name do you Astraltera.com be more suitable for hosting services?

I'm no good on names, I'm sure you'll get plenty of other comment though.

Back to the domain name do you Astraltera.com be more suitable for hosting services?
    I believe you should be the individual who picks your company's domain name. There is nothing wrong with being unique or having a different name then most of the standard names out there.

Astral means heavenly and terra means ground or foundation. So it will be like you provide a heavenly grounds for hosting...

Interesting name, however, the way I think is to get a company name where you may use it in the future for another sort of business. Nonetheless, it would be pretty hard for others to just through their ideas to you for your domain.

I ment
    Tera - One trillion (terahertz)