I owe you and owe this forum that I found about RSHosting here. I've been in the web reseller/design business for over 4 years, and in the online business generally for over 12 years.
Now that I've switched over to RSHosting back in October 2004, I think I've solid experience to share with you, as my expression of gratitude. But first I must stress that RSHosting NEVER solicited me to post this review.
RSHosting provides reseller accounts only on Linux/CPanel/WHM platform
1. Switching form my older host:
I've had exactly the same setup i.e Linux/CPanel/WHM with my previous host. The RSHosting team managed to move all my clients to there servers in less than 6 hours - for free. Going the extra mile, they even spotted and notified me of PHP script proplems that some of my clients had, and which I was aware of. However it was a good sign that they're vigilant regarding such sophisticated issues, other hosters I've dealt with typically never tried to tackle or even run into.
3. Customer service and tech support
The RSHosting team responded to my support tickets usually instantly . This means they're always there around the clock. Their level of technical expertise is very good to the extent that whoever is there is able to answer me satisfactorily on the spot. Ohter customer service/tech support I dealt with typically responded within 24 hrs, perhaps after forwarding the ticket to their "tech guru" or something. Alternatively, they just gave bull **** none sense answers. Mind you, my question are usually of the techie kind. I don't ask question like how to set up a new mailbox or endow priviliges to a user for an existing MySQL database.
Over six month, I've an average of 99.98% uptime for all my clients and my name servers. I do have 3 different 3rd party monitoring services, 2 of which are paid and one is free. These are my soruces from which I derived this avearge.
5.1. Whenever there's scheduled downtime, they usually gave me an ample time - usually a week - to notify my customer of the scheduled down time and its expected duration. Never did they exceed their estimates. Once they said they will be down for 2 hours for a major servers relocation and renumbering of IPs, only to discover thorugh my independent monitors that the whole process took less than 10 minutes of downtime
5.2. Whenever there's an unscheduled downtime, they post in their forums why did it happen, and what measures were taken to minimize that such incident would occurr frequently. They are bold enough not to lie. They once had a failed hard disk on one of their servers, and in another a DoS attack. They just state out waht happens palin an simple.
5.3. They out source the monitoring of the uptime of their servers to a third party, and they post all that 3rd party stats for their customers to see - in real time - what's going on, on daily basis, and in monthly reports.
5.4. Spam: RSHosting operates a "zero-tolerance" spam policy, which is very good in shared hosting. They proactively monitor spam-block lists to ensure that none of ther servers' IPs are listed there. They also immediately cancel any account who violates such policy. See, if one domain spams, and is being shared with you on the same server, mostly the server IP is blocked, and then everybody's email server sharing the same IP is consequently blocked as well. So it is a real disaster for everyone.
The general attitude of the RSHosting team is cooperative and helpful. On more than one occassion I've asked them for recommendation regarding one subject or another, and I preceeded my questions with the note that they're entirely free to respond or not, as this is an "off bussiness" communication. In no event did they not respond. Even more, they forwarded my mails amongst themselves, and I received more than one input to such queries, which was really helpful.
Finally .. they sent me a "christmas post card" .. Wow .. This is a truly professional business manner. I've only had such niceties when dealing with really big corporations.
1. Price: Their cheapest package runs for $20/month for a 1GB diskspace and 10 GB bandwidth. I know this can be beaten several times by other hosts. However, I see that for the uptime and quality of service they provide they deserve every cent of it. Due to the fact that I was sitting on solid grounds with them, I was able to pass a bit of my incurred increase to my exisiting customers with the promise that they'd find a true change in the quality of service. Some opted to leave me and some opted to stay. Bottom line .. I increased my revenues! A side benefit was a very good positive word-of-mouth communication that spread among my existing customers, that served to get in more customers to the point that I just recently upgraded my hosting plan with RSHosting to the next level ($30 per month for 2/35 GB diskspace/bandwidht and expect to upgrade to their third packege soon. I wish they'd offer dedicated server solutions.
2. Some minor tech glitches which is really out of their control. For instance once they had "Licence expiration" issue for CPanel which was the new datacenter they relocated to fault rather than theirs. Also, squirrel mail client crashed on trying to send "mail receipts" which is really a problem with squirrel. RSHsoting do offer other mail client options, however some of my clients insist on usind squirrel for their own rather good reasons. Also, one of my clients asked to have their mail server add a legal disclaimer for every outgoing email form his domain, but the RSHosting said that this won't be possible.
3. Billing: This may be considered a "pro" for some. RSHosting does not have an automated monthly billing system. Each month you're sent an invoice, that you have then to login to your account and manually pay your bill. While I find it easire to have their bill automatically deducted from my credit card, some would still prefer the manual way.
RSHosting ... keep up the great work, and never think of "suddenly" getting out of business, or "selling out" to someone else. I've had had these terrible experiences happen to me during my webhosting career, and wish to never experience them again, ever.
FWMInc - thankyou very much for your kind words, and for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We will certainly take your points on board and try to make improvements in the areas you have suggested