Originally posted by saghir69 I'm starting a new site and i was wondering, how important is it to have my targeted keywords in the domain name?
say the site was to have games humour etc on it, should i try and think of a domain name that includes games or humour in it.
The keywords will not really help you in search engine rankings if that is your primary reason for asking. That will be determined more by how you write your content and the people that visit and link to you. A few notes about your domain:
1. Get a name that is like your company name.
2. Get a name that can be remembered easily.
3. Try to keep it short enough which aids in memory.
4. Get a .com domain name. Many inadvertently type .com at the end of domains.
5. You're on the right track in choosing a domain name that is relevant to what the site is going to be about. Weaving game and humour into a domain name might be difficult.
6. Use a thesauras to find synonyms of words in domain names already registered.
7. Use registrars like godaddy, icannwholesale, or enom to search for domain name availability. They also suggest variations you might not have considered.
8. You can always buy variations if you like different names. Choose the one you like the best but buy the variations to and park them at your new domain or forward them there.
Hope this helps. Choosing a good domain name is tough sometimes.
Rich WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site