Modernbill users give me feedback

Do you like it? Tell me some things you really love about it or anything you don't like. I also wonder if I really have to have credit cards on my server- can't I have a processor handle them so I don't have the added responsability of customer CC data?
    So far I have not needed to make 31 posts thanks to the search function.

Oops wrong forum :\ sorry. Delete if necessary.

Hi,

Modernbill is a great piece of software and if you can last through the learning curve of the configuration process, you will be happy with it. Alot of people try it and run into walls with the configuration and give up and they leave with a bad taste in their mouth.

The support isn't the best I have seen but it has been better lately. They do have an extensive manual which if you take the time to read it all, it should supply you with most of the answers and the ones that you can't find in the manual, you should be able to find in the forums.

You don't have to keep the credit card information on your server if you don't want to. They have a encryption utility that you can use if you choose to keep the info but even they advise against it.

Good luck!

Thanks, the cc info question was bothering me a lot, you've cleared it up great.

I absolutely HATED ModernBill. I found it to be overwhelming, comberstone and had a lot of bugs. There is a big learning curve.

There are a lot of new billing software around now than a few years ago. Most notably, Agilebill.com.

Avoid PerlBill. Buggy and immature product with lousy support.

I basically agree with Venus, I think it is really cumbersome, bloated and kinda buggy. But it does support almost everything and thats the reason for this.
    [color=#666666]Ackoo Solutions, LLC

Modernbill is great. I've been using it since early 2003, but I'll be the first to admit, it's not for the faint of heart. Modernbill is great software, it must be, because it sure doesn't sell for the support. They will respond eventually, but you'll have more luck out of the user forums. There are quite a few developers that work with ModernBill so it has a fairly active community.

Modernbill, just like any other application has its strong points, and its weak points depending on how you plan to use it. A lot of the "bugs" are due to adding requested features. Think of it like this:

You're looking to buy a new car, so you go to the car dealership and say "What can you give me for the least amount of money". They reply, " Well, we've got this nice little economy Ford Fiesta over here." Of course, you're happy with it, because it's within your budget. Once you drive that little Ford Fiesta around for a couple weeks you decide that there's a few things you'd like to be improved. But, instead of selling the car, and purchasing a new one, you go back to the dealership to ask for an "upgrade". You tell them that you'd like bigger doors! So they take your car back to the shop, and put bigger doors on it. Now you've got your bigger doors, but they don't shut quite right because they're too big for the car.

So you drive the car around with the enlarged doors for about a week, and you decide that you should really do something about that.. so you take the car back to the dealership, and ask them to make the doors fit properly. Well, you can't change the frame of the car, so they get out the hammer, and start beating down the doors until they shut properly. But now they're all banged up! While they're at it, you have them put in bigger seats, because the originals were just too small, even if they were comfortable.

On the way home, with your banged up doors, and extra large comfortable seats, you realize that your seat belt no longer fits. It's too small to reach around the seat.

And I really could go on with this.. but I think it's plenty long enough already.

The point is, that ModernBill started as purely an invoicing application, and due to customer requests they've added things over time. Originally, this wasn't planned for, so of course there are going to be bumps and unexpected problems along the way, but eventually they'll be resolved.

ModernBill v5 will hopefully be out sometime, but who knows when that could be. I've heard some good things about it, and it's supposed to be completely modular. This time the planned for expansion.. so you won't have a seat belt that doesn't fit.

Long pointless post? I thnk there's a point in there somewhere, you jus thave to dig for it. Best of luck in your search for a billing solution.

(chukcling) Great analogy, Rman.

Teresa